Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: American Air takeover

US Airways has effectively announced plans to take over beleaguered American Airlines, by filing an 8-K form with the Securities and Exchange Commission to begin the process of a takeover/merger today.

Arrow US Airways step closer to American takeover

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505144_1...ican-takeover/
    "...A letter to employees by US Airways CEO Doug Parker reads in part:
    Today, we filed a statement (a form called an 8-K) with the Securities and Exchange Commission disclosing that we have signed agreements with the three unions that represent nearly 55,000 American Airlines employees. These unions are the Allied Pilots Association (APA), the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) and the Transport Workers Union (TWU), which represents all of American Airlines' mechanics and fleet service employees. Shortly after our disclosure, these three unions issued a public statement announcing their support of a US Airways-American Airlines merger and that they have agreed to terms that would govern collective bargaining agreements for their members at the merged airline. I want to explain to you why we have done this and what it means.

First of all, today's news does not mean we have agreed to merge with American Airlines. It only means we have reached agreements with these three unions on what their collective bargaining agreements would look like after a merger, and that they would like to work with us to make a merger a reality. To get to an actual merger, many more things must happen including gaining the support of AMR's creditors, its management team and its Board of Directors. But this is obviously an important first step along that path and we are hopeful we can all work together to make this happen.
    The agreement with American's three labor unions and the 8K filing with the SEC are the first major steps in a potential hostile takeover bid. It is hostile in the sense that if the merger were to happen - and that's still a big if - it would happen without the agreement of American's leadership...."

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    The Tulsa World had the same story this am. The 3 major unions are supporting the takeover. Over 7,000 AA employees here. AAs largest maintenance facility is here.

We fly US AIR all the time as they have the cheapest flight prices from Canada and connections in Philadelphia and most recently Charlotte have been excellent for us. In addition, we travel a lot on reward points and since USAIR is a star alliance partner this enables us to travel with them.

Hopefully, if the merger happens they will stay a star alliance partner, keep their pricing lower than the other airlines and keep the aruba flights from Charlotte and Philly.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Not a fan of USAir. Bad experiences twice to Aruba. Bad experience to Spain. Sadly, I have to fly them in May on a business flight. We'll see how they do. If they take over American, I'll be doubly sad. May have to take the bus.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

From what I have read Doug Parker at US Airways put together an offer that might have sealed the deal, even before he is legally able to offer an official restructuring plan to the bankruptcy court. It really was a master stroke.

Should we be careful booking a December trip through AA Vacations? I have found some good deals lately, not necessarily for Aruba yet, but I do like their site.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Should we be careful booking a December trip through AA Vacations? I have found some good deals lately, not necessarily for Aruba yet, but I do like their site.
    Just must sure you pay by credit card and you will be protected. I highly doubt there would be any issues though. Even if American is not taken over by US Air, at this point in time, American is "reorganizing" in the bankruptcy sense, not going out of business.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Main problem with AA tickets in the future if merger occurs, would be actual flight times and dates. If you booked a ticket to Aruba say, and the AA flight was supposed to leave at 9am saturday and arrive at 3 pm with 1 plane change, you might end up on a flight leaving at a different time and/or day, changing planes at a different airport and arriving at a different time. U S Air would honor your ticket but the flights may no longer exist and they would put you on their existing available flights. I hope they would give you the option of a refund if that were the case.

Nothing merger related will happen in less than a year, if they do merge. AMR still has the exclusive right to file their reorganization plan until September as of today.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast