Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: American Airlines Customer Service & Hosptality

Aruba since 1979

American Airlines Customer Service & Hosptality

My AA story of this evening.

I went onto my AA reservation page for my upcoming Aruba trip.
    Happened to notice that my seats Orlando to Mia and Mia to AUA (both row 14 C & D for both flights) had disappeared from my reservation.
    I went onto “choose seats” and pickins’ were slim.

I called AA and eventually got a real person, also happened to be named Andrea.
    I told her my story that my flights seemed to have dropped the chosen seats (from when i booked in November).
    She said, oh those was an equipment change and if you want those seats now, there is an UP charge.
    I said, excuse me, but i have a ticketed reservation and those seats were on that reservation when i made it in November at no additional charge.
    She gave one of the big annoying sighs, which translates to “you are bothering me and you can go to hell”
    There was a long silence and i said, can you do anything to reinstate our seats?
    Another sigh and long silence.

I finally said, please, with all due respect, is there anything you can do to help me?

She said, yes, if you give me your credit card info I can book you those seats for the UP charge at about $29 each passenger.

I said, umm, no thank you, please I want what I had originally purchased in November.

She then said thank you for calling American. (OMG)

I said please do not hang up, please connect me to a supervisor.

Another sigh and this time a moan.

Supervisor gets on and accommodates me in less than 2 minutes.
    No excuses, no sales pitches, no sighs and we have our seats ....not row 14 , but close enough.

What the HECK is wrong with some customer service people ?
    Was the 1st person i spoke with POd that I had the gaul to ask for what I had originally purchased? Was she not happy that she was working on a Friday night? Was she suffering from PMS? Is she unhappy with the AA bankruptcy/merger situation?

If i were a brand new AA customer and she was my first real person of AA that i had ever spoken with, I would definitely not be an AA customer. I would be an Air Tran , Delta or UsAir customer instead (no jet blue down here in fla to aruba)

Whatever happened to hospitality???

Why did she even answer the phone?

And speaking from my managerial experience, the original person you spoke to was even more annoyed knowing that you got what you wanted.

It did not cost the manager who gave you wanted, a single penny out of their own pocket, but knew she was giving the customer what they wanted and deserved. And that is the best way to keep a customer.

I hope you told the manager about the rep's attitude.

Airlines are getting worse by the day. I have had similar situations with Continental and lets not talk about how bad the service is getting on board AA.

Glad you got it worked out and enjoy your time in Aruba, wish I was going.
    Love Aruba

In most cases, the first level customer support personnel don't have the ability to resolve those issues without charging you.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    i have found not only with the airlines but with anything--cable, phone, etc., that you must call three times. the first two are different answers and the third one (as they say 3rd time is a charm), but the 3rd one is either the tie breaker or the one that helps. I have found that with continental (i'm not sure how united is since they took over continental) but with continental it takes usually only twice. cable takes 3 times and verizon --well, i just cancelled them, lol, they are the poster children for "useless".

Aruba since 1979
    i agree w/ you chadd and understand.
    it was the "attitude", the sighs and the lack of hospitality.

the smart and hospitable action she should have had was
    "boy, i wish i could help you and fix this but i cannot. let me get you over to someone who might be able to rectify this"

it is like on this forum........ how often do we say...."hmm, we don't know but we can try to find out"

hospitality and kindness speak a million words.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    In most cases, the first level customer support personnel don't have the ability to resolve those issues without charging you.

Aruba since 1979
    i made very quick mention that the first person that i spoke with must have been having a bad day and was less than helpful or accommodating........and i left it at that. i figured a sentence or 2 was sufficient and i know the helpful supervisor understood.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    I hope you told the manager about the rep's attitude.

The very fact that you had to ask for a supervisor speaks to the problem as well. I wouldn't have been so kind.

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Glad to see you asked for a Supervisor, I always do this with any calls to customer service that are not going well. Sometimes the actual rep gives me a hard time but eventually turns me over to a Supervisor. Hopefully all calls are recorded and someone will review this rude customer service experience you had. We all have bad days but need to be professional and respectful especially when you are dealing with customers, jobs are too hard to come by these days and everyone is replaceable. Glad to see it worked out for you Andrea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast