Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: American and United Airlines ..new carry on charges for basic economy

Aruba since 1979

Exclamation American and United Airlines ..new carry on charges for basic economy

Ummm....What?? I saw this article on my FB page, and my question is this. What happens if a passenger is assigned to an Exit row?? So now you have to pay for your extra piece of luggage and your carry on? WOW!!

We're prepared for it now, as we've managed to bring most of what we need to our condo and stored it away. We should now be OK with a personal bag each; well until they take that away...
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]
    TRIP 14 MARCH 5-28 2018
    OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMODATES TWO ADULTS. https://youtu.be/hfk7YBj3Z1k
    RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

The difference in ticket price between Basic Economy and Main Cabin is about what you'll have to pay to gate check your bags under this new fare plan. The time has come to stop folks from trying to beat the airlines out of 25 bucks by cramming their luggage in the overhead bin. I hope the policy is enforced, but I have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    The difference in ticket price between Basic Economy and Main Cabin is about what you'll have to pay to gate check your bags under this new fare plan. The time has come to stop folks from trying to beat the airlines out of 25 bucks by cramming their luggage in the overhead bin. I hope the policy is enforced, but I have my doubts.
    I figured that because passengers were bringing their luggage with them on board and cramming it in the overhead bin might have been a reason for the fee. That and also with the overhead bins, passengers placing their luggage in the overhead bins above seats that they are not assigned to. Had that happen to me on an AA flight, the overhead bin for my row was crammed with luggage from passengers that were sitting in other rows, thankfully a flight attendant who was really cool found an overhead bin two rows back where I was able to stash my backpack.

Earlier this year they were reducing legroom. They can add more seats but not more overhead bins so I guess it makes sense. I mean, it's not for us, but I could see the low fate, no frills being appealing to some.

I only carry on whatever fits in my pockets. Sometimes it seems like it takes forever to exit an aircraft, but it's just me since I've worked on them most of my life

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    I agree the airlines should be enforcing the size of carry on bags as more people are getting away with breaking the rules. Then you have the people who put smaller size items overhead that should be under the seat which causes a regular size carry on that would go overhead to have no space. However, if the airlines keep downsizing the amount of leg room pretty soon we may have no room at all for our legs never mind under seat storage This is one of the few times I am happy to have "short" legs

Sounds like the gate area will become a mess. Too many different fares and restrictions and stops. Next thing we'll hear is, "Yes ma'am, I'm aware you purchased a ticket to Aruba and you'll be there 10 days, but you can only take a lunchbox, and we are going to route you through Alaska." I don't believe there is enough overhead storage if everyone brought a carry-on.

Depends on length of trip whether I check a bag or use the bins. If I'm on a long weekend and can get my things into a carry-on that fits in the overhead, that's what I do. If I'm going on a longer trip, I check a bag and have my big purse as a carry-on. However, I abide by the size rules.

On one JetBlue flight we had, there was an announcement that the overhead bins may not have enough storage, so they offered to check carry on bags for free. It made sense for those that had to collect other checked bags. I would say 6 to 8 people volunteered. There was plenty of room for people to store their bags near their seats.

I didn't see any bag size checking. I worried about my daughter's backpack being too big to bring as a personal item. She had homework and her laptop in it. But, I saw some very large personal item bags. I need not have worried.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast