Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: American and United Airlines ..new carry on charges for basic economy

We usually take bags that fit under the seat. Hubby has bad shoulders and I'm really short, so we avoid overhead bins and check the rest of our luggage. When we went down for settlement, we checked three very full suitcases/duffle bags($25, $25, and $40) and took two carry-ons each, but gate checked the second bag-we didn't clog the overhead bins and we saved $40 by not combining the two carryons into one larger checked bag. On the way home, we put the two extra carry ons, and the two duffle bags into the one large suitcase ($25) and just took our two bags on the plane.

Basic economy is different than regular economy. It is a new group. You can't pick your seats, you are last to board, no overhead baggage. Cheaper flights, less options.

Quote Originally Posted by vallond View Post
    Ummm....What?? I saw this article on my FB page, and my question is this. What happens if a passenger is assigned to an Exit row?? So now you have to pay for your extra piece of luggage and your carry on? WOW!!

Delta added the "basic economy" class about a year or so ago. Not sure how it's going but I've never see any issues in the gate area (although we're also one of the first to board, too, because of Medallion/Sky Priority status so I guess I probably wouldn't see anything in the gate area.)
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12