Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Annoyances on Planes

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    OMG Tracey, we had a passenger on our last flight home from Aruba in first class. She was behind us. She was alone and the woman sitting next to her was alone. They got to talking and did not stop for the entire 4 1/2 hours. I am not kidding, non-stop. And it was a night flight so generally the plane was quiet. The couple in the seats across from us kept looking at them, then me and we were almost hysterical laughing. How could anyone talk so much to a total stranger. I seriously was a half hour away from getting up and slapping her, then calling my attorney to meet me at the airport jail to bail me out.

Can you imagine the annoyance if they ever allow cell phones during a flight!

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Then you'd have to wear headphones. I can't stand people talking on their cellphones in line waiting for a check out at a store. I can't imagine them sitting on a plane for hours.

We've started flying business class to Aruba - the lowest business class fare is equivalent to the highest economy fare... I can justify anything for pleasure.

I traveled for five years back and forth from Canada to the US and throughout the week from various sites in the US. American was fantastic when I started, Delta then became the defacto standard and then the whole industry went into the toilet until the rise of the employee owned airlines (e.g. WestJet).

Air Canada was absolutely one of the worst service experiences for years... a colleague worked with them a couple of years ago to improve customer service and it seems to have taken hold.

The service does seem to be better in business class if my experience is any yardstick - I think it's related to the flight attendants knowing you're shelling out, you're the prized airline customer and the last thing they'd want is a prized customer complaining about them back at HQ.

I wonder if more employee ownership would up the game?

As for annoyances mid-flight, I'm with Amy: you just roll with it, buy good noise canceling headphones and get your rosary out: it'll all be over soon.

But there was the one time on the way back from Aruba that this pre-teen kept putting her dirty feet on my thigh because she couldn't sit still in the seat. Her parents were up in business class getting hammered and they'd left the kids in economy to schlep the ride home. I shot her a few looks and, when she didn't get the implied threat, I proceeded to belch Smirnoff in her face. She practically crawled up the side of the jet to get away from me.

Sometimes you gotta fight fire with a machine gun.
    Last edited by act1966; 07-24-2015 at 10:40 AM.

This will be our first time flying to Aruba in coach as we usually are in first class. I'm praying for a smooth, pleasant flight. If not, we'll be back up front next time, regardless of the cost.

I have a few annoyances:

Kid kicking the seat: All it took was the ONE time my young
    son sat behind me and kicked ONCE. He said "But what am I supposed to do with my feet? They just hang there and its uncomforting(yes, his word)." That was a light bulb moment and a search was on for a solution. Our not so perfect, but it worked solution: we started to use old carry ons and use them as foot rests once we were airborn and could remove them from under the seat or the overhead bin. For us that somewhat solved the problem. He was right. Their feet just hang there.

Starers: I really dislike the kids that turn around in their seat and stare at you to get attention. It's creepy and weird. I do say hello, and ask if they are excited to be going on a trip, which probably encourages the behavior. I've found that they are the kids whose parents are ignoring them. And some parents are arrogant enough that they think everyone should make a fuss over their cute, adorable kids. Although, I have been known to play go-fish or color with kids who aren't my own (ex-preschool teacher in me).

Pilot/FA announcements: I know they are necessary and probably required, and I understand that people new to flying need them, but it seems that every time I pick up my book to start reading again, one of the pilots or flight attendants make an announcement. Murphy's law.

Flying home we had this toddlier screaming and crying the whole way.. he wanted more candy and the parents didn't have anything
    What I would of gave him is a nice warm dupa... (warm a$$).
    Parents didn't even care. Parents had on their headphones and totally ignored the kid.

Where do Ibegin?? I’ve often encountered the strange and annoying things on my way toAruba, more so from T&T to Curacao. They are the things to make you gohmmmm, arrrggguuuhhh, and OH GOOOSSSHHH NAH-MAN!!!!
    I’ve seen passengers rush like a herd of wild animals to the boarding gate when the flight has been announced. You would swear that Suriname Airways was giving a prize to the first twenty passengers to board or they were giving out free cash by the way some of my fellow passengers were rushing to board the flight.
    Then there are the children who instead of sticking close to their parents or guardians choose to run up and down the boarding tube like it’s a playground. Not only do they run up and down, they run in between passengers standing in line waiting patiently to board, knocking into several and not even uttering a word of apology. One child choose to stop and kick me every time he ran by me. I looked at his mother with a look that said, “Madam could you please control your child.” The woman in question was paying more attention to her phone than to her wild child. After the third kick I leaned over and said, “Kick me one more time and my friend Black Blood the Dragon will come here, take you, throw you up into the air, fry you with his flame and eat you like a three piece from KFC.” That worked, the kid stopped running around,stayed next to his mother for the entire flight, from time to time I would hear his mother yell out, “Boy! What stupidness you telling me. A dragon coming foryou? Boy! Look! Don’t get meh vex nah! Hush up and keep yuh little tail quiet!”
    One two occasions I’ve had to deal with people that I classify as: “Seat Jackers”.These are the ones who deliberately plop them selves down into the seat that they were not assigned to, I ran into one guy who was not only in the wrong seat, he was off by four rows. When I pointed this out to him he had the nerve to get angry with me, and even refused to move. It took the intervention of theflight attendant to get him to move. As he left he continued to mutter obscenities under his breath at me, in response I said, “It’s not my fault thatyou went to school in August and can’t bloody well read!” The second time it happened the guy spoke no English, Spanish, Dutch or Papiamento, he was a Laotian fisherman on his way to Curacao for work, he jacked my window seat and I wasleft to sit in the middle. Sigh!! When we landed he darn near climbed over meto get into the aisle to catch up with his travelling companions who were seated elsewhere.
    The worst though has to be the Blabbers or Constant Chatters. These are the ones who will start talking to you from the moment you sit down next to them to the moment you arrive at your destination. On the flight from T&T to Curacao I would either sleep or read. Not so while sitting next to this one guy. Dude would not get the hint that I was not in the mood for any long conversations. I pretended to sleep, placed a book in front of my face, jammed the ear buds of my i-pod into my ears and turned the music up, all to no avail. He kept right ontalking. The only time that he stopped talking was when he went to the bathroomand while he was filling out his Immigration Card.
    I finallymanaged to lose him on landing in Curacao when he attempted to chat up one ofthe flight attendants as we were deplaning. He then made a wrong turn on theway to the Immigration Hall, by the time he made his way there he was near theend of the line while I was just three passengers away from being seen by theImmigration officers. As my luggage had been tagged to go straight through toAruba I was able to skip baggage claim altogether and put a lot more distancebetween myself and my over talkative seatmate. After checking in for myconnecting flight and paying the transit tax I was about to go to Wendy’s toget something to eat. Saw home boy was there chatting up the employees behindthe counter, made a complete about turn and booked it to the departure area.
    The Grins and Groans of travelling...right?
    Last edited by vallond; 07-24-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Waltvb, love the new photo!!!

Aruba since 1979
    and then there are the seat companions that STINK.
    they smell like a combination of filthy gym clothes and old vegetable soup.

they have never heard of soap, water, deodorant and toothpaste?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast