Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Any info I should know about Delta or ATL airport?

Any info I should know about Delta or ATL airport?

Well after months of stalking airfares for our anniversary week - I finally found a price I was happy with and booked our flights. We got $382 per person from DCA to AUA for Dec 1-8. I haven't flown Delta before but the price was right and the times were exactly what we were looking for. Is there anything I should know ahead of time about flyng Delta or connecting in Atlanta? Does anyone know if upgrading to the Economy Plus seats is really worth $29 per person?
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    economy plus does give you extra leg room and you are sitting closer to the front of the plane. that is what you get with economy plus. if extra leg room and getting off the plane faster (who doesn't want to do that, lol), then I would say with the price you paid for the ticket, $29 is well worth it. I assume that is one way. So $58 to me would be worth it. We always upgrade to first class. You never get to use your miles for free flights, at least no where I want to go, so I just get a good fare and then upgrade with miles.

Do you know if Delta offers last minute upgrades when you check in if there are first class available? We have had that happen on American a couple times where we pay $50per person at checkin going to Miami. I love those. We dont have any miles with Delta yet.

Double check that figure. Are you sure it is not for an aisle or window seat OR for the domestic leg, DCA-ATL, of your flight?

For our trip July 9 - July 19,
    economy comfort was $59 pp each way ATL - AUA per person. Domestic leg charge for economy comfort was $29 pp each leg.

Additionally as you can see below, ATL-AUA Delta was charging $29 each leg for a window or aisle seat and exit row.

Half our party were in wheelchairs so seated in the bulkhead at no extra charge. ATL -AUA we were asked to move to the exit row (free of charge) after boarding because the people assigned there did not speak English. AUA-ATL, we volunteered/requested at the gate for exit row if they went unsold. Our flight was sold out, but no one paid for the exit row so we were given exit row seats.

No way would we have ever paid an additional $360 total trip for an extra 3"-4" of leg room and early Zone 1 boarding (which we already have through our SkyMiles card- see below).
    Imo, another rip off unless you have small children and HAVE to be seated together. Otherwise, consider Delta to now have "open seating" and expect to sit in the middle. I understand the policy but I do not have to like it

Also keep in mind Delta charges $25 first bag, $40 second bag.

If you have an Amex Delta SkyMiles credit card, the fee is waived on the first bag. With the SkyMiles credit card you are also entitled to Zone 1 boarding.

As to Atlanta's Hartsfield airport, the Delta flights have been departing from Concourse E which is an international concourse, not to be confused with their beautiful new International Terminal (Concourse F). Give yourself at least 45 minutes to make your connection and you should be fine.

The last I knew, Delta sold first class upgrades at the gate for $150 pp each way based upon availability. In the last few years with frequent flier perks for medallion members and their receiving priority upgrades, we have not been seeing the upgrades being sold at all. At least they were not on our flights
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-22-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks, Lisa. I think the $29 would be for the ATL-AUA and AUA-ATL, but I do need to double check. I wasn't going to upgrade for the DCA-ATL portion because we are on a row with only 2 seats. Our problem is needing more width than leg room. I usually squish my poor hubby a little, but says he can deal with it since he gets to go to Aruba. Our connection is an hour, so hopefully we will be okay. It's an early morning flight (one of the first) so the first leg shouldn't be delayed. I don't really worry so much about the trip home, we come home on Saturday so if there any delays or missed connections, we have an extra day to play with before the dreaded return to work. Thanks for the tip on the checked bag. Last time we had no problem checking 1 for both of us. This is still the cheapest flight I have seen for our week by $100 per person and it gets us on the island at 1:30.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 08-22-2012 at 10:41 AM.

The SkyMiles credit cards comes with some great perks and is free the first year.

Just to you are aware, the width of your seat would be the same in regular seats vs. economy comfort.

Dh and I usually overcome width by raising the arm rest between us. Maybe just paying for one window or one aisle and taking the adjoining seat would be a good option? Also be aware that arm rests in the exit row are sometimes stationary.

We fly Delta solely and they have always done right by us.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    You never get to use your miles for free flights, at least no where I want to go, so I just get a good fare and then upgrade with miles.
    You just have to learn how to play the airline frequent flyer game. We've had free flights to Europe using miles on Delta - our last two trips to Paris were First Class/direct flights and used miles for the entire flight (only had to pay taxes of around $150.) I'm getting good at their game. LOL! Using miles is like watching airfares anymore - they change from day to day.

Re: Paying for upgrades on Delta
    Delta will give free upgrades to their Medallion members (and their companions) first. If there are still First Class seats available after that (and usually there aren't) they will then offer them at the gate for purchase.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 08-22-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Time for duty Free?

Since we have just under an hour to connect in Atlanta, do you think we will we have time to buy duty free liquor? If not, what is our best option - pack a litre in our checked luggage, or take our chances with the arrival duty free store in Aruba?

There is a time limit for purchasing at duty free and getting it delivered to your gate on time in Atlanta. I would check on that if you're considering buying there. The duty free store in Aruba is available to incoming passengers and has a pretty good selection of booze. Last year when we arrived they were having a sale on Bacardi and Skyy. There's something scary about packing it in luggage to me (leaking, breakage, free drinks for TSA, etc.).

Delta Changed our flights - Layover too short?

Delta changed the time of our first flight from DCA to ATL by 15 minutes, this means we only have a 41 minute layover. Is that cutting it too close for Atlanta? Our seats are in the middle of the plane.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast