Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By JCurl
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 3 Post By JCurl
  • 1 Post By GETA62
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: Arrival Monday May 29

Arrival Monday May 29

We arrived from Toronto on Monday May 29. Flying with Sunwing customs was empty! We were so happy as we had 20 family and friends with us for our wedding. We get to the baggage area it took over an hour for our luggage to be unloaded they kept stopping the belt and had the drug dogs going through. Once our luggage was out we then had to get into a huge line that circled the entire baggage area. We then waited in line for over an hour to load our suitcases on a scanner again before we could leave. 7th trip here I have never seen anything like that! Our bus driver told us they have been having issues with drugs and that they have been doing these searches frequently (no idea if that's true) but it was very stressful! We felt horrible because we had previously told everyone how easy it was once we landed.
    just wanted everyone on the forum to be aware!

Aruba since 1979
    that is too bad.
    so the no line at aruba immigration was misleading...tthen you hit the luggage room

i personally am grateful for aruba doing a great job protecting us, their citizens and their children from drugs.

however, once you make it thru immigration and begin to breathe a sigh of relief and see crowd.........well then that is a frustrating way to begin your vacation.

how was the wedding?

pictures?

QUOTE=JCurl;317532]We arrived from Toronto on Monday May 29. Flying with Sunwing customs was empty! We were so happy as we had 20 family and friends with us for our wedding. We get to the baggage area it took over an hour for our luggage to be unloaded they kept stopping the belt and had the drug dogs going through. Once our luggage was out we then had to get into a huge line that circled the entire baggage area. We then waited in line for over an hour to load our suitcases on a scanner again before we could leave. 7th trip here I have never seen anything like that! Our bus driver told us they have been having issues with drugs and that they have been doing these searches frequently (no idea if that's true) but it was very stressful! We felt horrible because we had previously told everyone how easy it was once we landed.
    just wanted everyone on the forum to be aware![/QUOTE]

Oh so misleading! I totally respect what their doing as well, but very frustrating way to start the vacation. Also I had 20 other people to explain "this NEVER has happened before" Wedding was amazing we got married officially here. The town hall service was so beautiful and I will cherish that imitate experience forever. Just me him our two witnesses and the minister. We had our beach ceremony at the Riu it was perfect. I honestly had zero stress they took care of everything. We stayed with everyone at the Riu Palace and now my new husband and I are at the Riu Antillas. We wish we had been at the Antillas from the start. The level of service is unbelievable! The palace Aruba was nice but not comparable to the Antillas.
    also not sure if you remember but hubby and I went skydiving the day before the wedding. Incredible, terrifying haha have checked it off the list and will never do it again! The guys who took us out were amazing and would recommend them to everyone!
    pictures once we get home.

We had similar situation back in April. After passing custom and relatively quick get a luggage, we spent good 30 minutes before getting out.
    Last edited by GETA62; 06-07-2017 at 10:23 AM.

On my last visit back in September of 2016 my connecting flight from Curacao arrived two hours later than scheduled( it was with Insel Air). After breezing through Immigration it was an hour long wait, (in that time the Immigration Officers passed us and got to leave the airport before we did) till our luggage began to slide down the chute onto the carousel. Then much to my surprise I had to join a line to have my one piece of luggage and my backpack scanned before I was allowed to exit. On previous visits I always got waved through, guess this time around there was a new policy. Everyone gets scanned.

Sorry for the frustration in baggage, but the rest of your time sounds amazing! Congratulations!! Wishing you a lifetime of more happy Aruba memories together
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

How quick is it normally to get out of the airport in Aruba? My expectation was that it would be quick with constant movement. I can't say why I thought that. Maybe just reading old trip reports or comparing it to the real time sponge - leaving. There was an immigration line (some people got to jump in with a special line) and the scanning of bags was another line that snaked around. Some bypassing occurred here as well. It was not a huge deal for us as we just had carry ons and I like seeing security. I just wasn't expecting it.

Sorry for all the trouble. Congratulations on your marriage. I am sure the parties that traveled with you understood.

Aruba since 1979
    normal for us is not normal for others.
    we usually arrive on a tues, wed or thurs.

fromt he time we hit the luggage room, i guess 15 minutes or lesstil we are outside.
    paul stands at the carousel to get our bag.
    i meander over to the Dufry shop and pick up coconut rum and baileys.

then we head to the exitwhere aruba customs is located (and try very hard to avoid the line with the scanner) and go thru customs with a wave and a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan&Sunshine View Post
    How quick is it normally to get out of the airport in Aruba? My expectation was that it would be quick with constant movement. I can't say why I thought that. Maybe just reading old trip reports or comparing it to the real time sponge - leaving. There was an immigration line (some people got to jump in with a special line) and the scanning of bags was another line that snaked around. Some bypassing occurred here as well. It was not a huge deal for us as we just had carry ons and I like seeing security. I just wasn't expecting it.