Aruba Beach

Thread: article of Insel's woes

Aruba since 1979

Just when you though Insel had things on an even keel. So what's going to happen to passengers who have to fly among the ABC islands? On my early visits to Aruba while connecting through Curacao, apart from Insel there was Tiara Air, and DAE( Dutch Antilles Express), which provided extra options in getting from Curacao to the other islands. I had the privilege of flying with both DAE(due to a last minute flight cancellation by Insel, managed to get me to Curacao to make my connecting flight home back in 2012) and Tiara Air( who I was forced to travel with in January 2014 as part of a low cost package, I had my fears about travelling with them as they had a lot of delays and cancellations. Both flights to and from Aruba left on time and the service turned out to be rather pleasant) have since gone bankrupt. Leaving Insel Air as the sole provider for service among the ABC Islands.

If Insel Air goes bankrupt and out of business, does this mean outside airlines from within the region will get the nod to conduct services into Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao? The only airlines that come to mind right now is Caribbean Airlines out of Trinidad and Tobago, Pawa out of the Dominican Republic, Copa Air out of Panama, Suriname Airlines out of Suriname and LIAT......wait scratch that last one, LIAT is worse than Insel. LIAT stands for Leave Island Any Time, and they really do.

If any of the airlines mentioned gets the nod, especially in the case of Caribbean Air Line and Suriname Airlines, chances are it could mean a direct service to Aruba. They could still stop on Curacao, and then continue onto Aruba and Bonaire. Guess we will just have to wait and see how the continuing saga that is Insel Air turn out.