Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: aruba airport authority is requesting ...3 to 4 hour allowance flying OUT of Aruba

Aruba since 1979
    hopefully the daily tourist newspapers and the resorts will make postings of the new 4 hour recommendation.

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    The flight times are always "padded" in the event of delays. So when a pilot says "we got you in early today", they really didn't. That is just the time it SHOULD take. This way airlines have fewer delays to report. So I know if my flight leaves less than 30 minutes late that chances are good we will still be "on time".
    Thanks, this is interesting to know. Looks like all departures today have gone smoothly so hopefully people are allowing themselves the needed time.

Besides padding the flight times, flight time too can depend upon whether or not there is a head or tail wind. Get a good tail wind and your jet is going to zip right home

ABC News Oct. 4, 2013
    "...nearly 90 percent of the 60,000 employees that make up U.S. Customs and Border Protection... have not been furloughed during the government shutdown."

That was us Saturday
    Absolute mayhem ! Everyone was anxious and clearly becoming mob mentality !! Not a fun way to end your vacation . Even 3 and half hours was not enough depending on what time your flight was . It was already backed up at 1130 am

Aruba since 1979
    i wonder how much the jazz festival crowds played into saturday/sunday crowds?

We flew home on Sunday, 10/6. We had read all the 'warnings' of getting to the airport 3-4 hrs. ahead of your flight. We had a 3pm flight out of AUA. We got to the airport at 11:15 and got to our gate at 1pm. We even had an 'issue' at the ticket counter that took an extra 15 mins., so if we didn't have the 'issue' at the ticket counter, it would have only taken us 1 1/2 hrs. to get through security, customs, etc. When we arrived at US Customs, it was jammed packed and we couldn't even enter the room. There was only three lanes open and then a 4th lane was opened and it still only took us 1 3/4 hrs.

So, in my opinion, I think that 3 hrs. is the most time that you should allow if you are traveling on a weekend and it will be sufficient. I personally think that the folks in Aruba keep publicizing these alerts since the longer you are at the airport, the more money you will spend to occupy your time. I can also tell you that the moods and atmosphere at the airport on Sunday was not happy travelers, leaving 'One Happy Island' but annoyed travelers who felt they were duped by an 'artificially-created panic situation.' Customs was not any more crowded than any other time we have left the island, and we mostly fly out on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Barblepa View Post
    We flew home on Sunday, 10/6. We had read all the 'warnings' of getting to the airport 3-4 hrs. ahead of your flight. We had a 3pm flight out of AUA. We got to the airport at 11:15 and got to our gate at 1pm. We even had an 'issue' at the ticket counter that took an extra 15 mins., so if we didn't have the 'issue' at the ticket counter, it would have only taken us 1 1/2 hrs. to get through security, customs, etc. When we arrived at US Customs, it was jammed packed and we couldn't even enter the room. There was only three lanes open and then a 4th lane was opened and it still only took us 1 3/4 hrs.

So, in my opinion, I think that 3 hrs. is the most time that you should allow if you are traveling on a weekend and it will be sufficient. I personally think that the folks in Aruba keep publicizing these alerts since the longer you are at the airport, the more money you will spend to occupy your time. I can also tell you that the moods and atmosphere at the airport on Sunday was not happy travelers, leaving 'One Happy Island' but annoyed travelers who felt they were duped by an 'artificially-created panic situation.' Customs was not any more crowded than any other time we have left the island, and we mostly fly out on weekends.
    Very interesting. Get to the airport early and then you cannot leave the airport. Were you purposely kept on the shopping side of U.S. Customs until "x" time prior to your flight?

With a captive audience who are unable to leave-- there are food concessions, slot machines and shopping...none of it free.

I don't think that there were any restrictions on where we 'had' to stay in the airport, if there were, we weren't aware of them. Years ago they would make you stay on the side before Customs because the doors would not open until a set time. However, I can tell you that folks were keeping themselves busy with shopping, eating, drinking and the majority were commiserating about this new '3-4 hr. arrival to the airport' hysteria. Also, both the down and upstairs slot parlors are now closed. To me it does seem contrived since all the articles about the shutdown put out by US say that the shutdown will have no effect. So, the articles/ads put out by the Aruba side really contradict this.....and most folks would think......the Aruba warnings must be true since they are here to live it.

Aruba since 1979
    oh boy, the afternoon flights?
    here is what i got from my friend.

Hey Andrea,
    Interesting day at the airport today. Major delays due to a small prop plane from Venezuela needing to make and emergency belly landing on the runway. Landing gear did not deploy. Everyone fine, just startled. Flights in and out we're delayed, it is in 24ora.com.

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.24ora.com/local-mainmenu-...bek-ta-andando
    click link for photos from 24ora.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12