Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Aruba Airport "more information?"

Aruba since 1979

Aruba Airport "more information?"

In a recent "My Aruba Story", the forum member that was the author, made mention that his airport experience (departure from QB in Aruba) was less then wonderful.
    He made mention that there should be more information out there re: the airport.

So, what kind of "more information" would you provide to him?

I will let you folks start before I chime in.

The best info out there is to arrive EARLY so you don't have to stress out when leaving the island. I have seen so many people arrive 1.5 hours or less prior to their flight and miss it. I would also look into the lounge VIP pass that is available with certain credit cards as it makes the process much easier and more pleasant for sure.

If you have a rental car, drop your bags off on the median in front of the terminal entrance with your spouse/kids/friend and then loop back and return the car. Schlepping the bags from the rental car agencies is painful. And give yourself lots of time to return the car as it's bedlam when you get into the area (parking and check out).

At the international terminal, make sure you're in the right line up as the Venezuelan flights have line ups that go all over the place.

When leaving Aruba, just go to the Happy Flow terminals even if nobody directs you there. They're not very organised at the airport.

Some general observations after many years of business travel (And, for some reason, I see a lot of these in Aruba):

Have your boarding pass, passport and laptop readily accessible so you can whip through security. Wear slip-on shoes and make sure you have empty pockets and no bottles of liquid before getting to security. Don't wear jewellery. Don't be the person that slows everything down! And don't stand at the top or bottom of the escalators wondering where to go... Step to the side!!!

Maybe ATA could create a pamphlet for first time visitors to walk then through the process and explain the why's. This could be provided at hotels or upon arrival so that people are more prepared. Another option would be to make a video available on the website walking someone through.
    I think the biggest problem is that new visitors don't fully understand why they go through 2 sets of security, or why they have to drop off their luggage then pick it up again.

Aruba since 1979
    also too
    check in online and if you are able/allowed print boarding pass
    check your flight status........if you flight is going to be 4 hours late it would be nice to know that before arriving at the airport.

be aware that you will go thru security a couple of times, will have to retrieve checked luggage when going thru US Customs AND will then drop off those checked bags after departing the US Customs area.

sometimes it seems complicated when reading or thinking about the process, but it is so much better doing the US CUSTOMS thing in Aruba than in the USA.

Upon arrival the airlines warn passengers to arrive 3 hours prior to departure for return flights. They mean it.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

1. If you can, print out your boarding pass from the night before.
    2. With regards to your rental car you can either take it back the day before and take a taxi to the airport the following day.
    3. Try to check in with good enough time, three hours is the recommended time, hopefully the taxi driver taking you to the airport with know the back roads and short cuts to skip the traffic in and around Oranjestad. Be aware that you will have to undergo two security screening points, and you will have to collect your luggage again after completing U.S. Immigration.

If you're coming into the airport to leave Aruba, it's always seemed pretty easy to do the dance. You're directed step by step.

Another tip that will save you one spot if you have your boarding passes is not to check in a bag and just do your carry on.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    i think everyone pretty much said it all. One thing though, Vallond. We took the short cuts to the airport and so did everyone else, lol. Took us an hour. We were wondering if it was a holiday but it was one in the afternoon on a week day.

But everyone 's suggestions are right on. Of course you can't blame the airport if there are weather problems throughout the country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast