Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Aruba article about precautions against Ebola, good plan in place

This whole ebola crisis has me nervous. I need to stop reading about it. I just wish others who have been exposed would use better judgement to stop the spread!
    Not sure when, but we will be back

I find myself switching channels when the news is on because that's all they talk about. That said, it's been on our minds as DH is now immuno suppressed. We plan to bring hand sanitizers and wipes.

Aruba since 1979
    re: the alcohol based hand sanitizers.......are they effective against neurovirus and some of the gi virus things out there?

peg, you are right about switching channels....it is very frustrating.
    and the stock market.........today the analysts were blaming ebola on the recent plummeting.

I plan to do a little research on the hand sanitizers. The doctors suggested using the sanitizers when they gave us the okay for Tom to travel.

My god... Everybody calm down: this is just like when the AIDS crisis first hit... People dealing in rumour rather than science.

The Ebola virus is transmitted through direct contact with humans. It cannot be transmitted through toilet seats, arm rests, windows, tray tables etc. the virus cannot remain stable in the open air.

Facts are not found in USA Today. Go to the CDC and NIH. You have more chance of dying from the flu than Ebola... Get your flu shot!
    Last edited by act1966; 10-16-2014 at 12:44 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    i do not see anyone here panicking or being "un"calm.
    i see (read) good discussion and people posting their thoughts and concerns.....just as you are posting your thoughts.

folks need to be informed.
    the cdc needs to do a better job of containing those that have been exposed.

the situation of the nurse being allowed to fly sick on frontier air is what concerns me.

everyone whether ebola concerned or common cold/flu concerned.
    hand washing and using an antibacterial wipe on plane's tray tables and arm rests is a great idea.

i remember several times after flying i came down with a horrible head cold/virus.
    close quarters on planes and germs are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    My god... Everybody calm down: this is just like when the AIDS crisis first hit... People dealing in rumour rather than science.

The Ebola virus is transmitted through direct contact with humans. It cannot be transmitted through toilet seats, arm rests, windows, tray tables etc. the virus cannot remain stable in the open air.

Facts are are not found in USA Today. Go to the CDC and NIH. You have more chance of dying from the flu than Ebola... Get your flu shot!
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 10-16-2014 at 12:47 AM.

The point I was making is that you cannot contract Ebola via indirect contact. Wiping down your seat does nothing but give Clorox more revenue.

The CDC in "Guidance for airline cleaning personnel" claims "Clean hands with soap and water immediately after gloves are removed or when changing gloves. (When soap is not available, use waterless alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.) Use only soap and water if hands are visibly dirty."

http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/air/ma...-airlines.html

The same CDC who says the US cannot enact a travel ban because the CDC director Frieden claims “above all, do no harm” is his guiding principle and banning travel out of the affected areas would make it harder to stop the epidemic there without any further explanation even when pressed to reply.

http://www.purell.com/staywell/illne...aks/ebola.aspx
    Q: Are PURELLŪ products effective against Ebola?
    A: Ebola viruses are high risk pathogens that must be contained and are not readily available for laboratory testing. As of today, we are not aware of any hand sanitizers that have been tested against Ebola viruses, including PURELLŪ Hand Sanitizer. However, it is important to note that the Ebola virus is an enveloped virus. Enveloped viruses in general are easily killed or inactivated by alcohol. The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are recommending the use of alcohol-based hand sanitizer as a preventive measure during this outbreak.

Imagine an epidemic in the U.S.? Andrea mentioned the fall of the stock market. Today if fell "only" 200 points with 1 new case. If all 130 people on that Frontier flight contracted Ebola and the market fell 100 points for each of those infected the market would fall 13,000 points.

There's no direct correlation between ebola and the market. What we're seeing is a market correction (expected) due to a number of economic and geopolitical factors.

Fear creates market run-offs... not disease.

The deaths in North America from influenza far exceed projected mortality rates from contracting ebola. Flu shots are essential particularly in the 65+ demographic that are usually the hardest hit by flu-related deaths.

The order of magnitude for deaths resulting from influenza is a guesstimate by the CDC but it's literally in the thousands.

Wash you hands frequently, avoid touching your face, get a flu shot... Stay healthy!

My girlfriend does the same thing when she flys, wipes down everything ...she got sick after a flight once and swears that it was from the unclean condition of the aircraft. I agree with her about wiping down the food trays since I have seen all kinds of weird things being done on those trays........
    I have asthma and after a flight earlier in the year I was at my hotel and woke up in the middle of the night from shortness of breath and a feeling of apnea....ended up in ER and the doctor told me I had bronchitis and the flight with the "dirty" air probably contributed to the problem....I did not have any problems before the flight, perfectly healthy the day before, so it makes you wonder how well the air systems or cleaned or maintained on those planes......
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast