Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: baggage

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything

baggage

we plan on checking a couple of boxes (have the linear inches from airline==United). We want to take things for the wedding and not use suitcases because we don't want to bring them back. I am flying first class so I know we can take two checked bags each. Are boxes considered a checked bag or is that something completely different. We bring carry on for our clothes so I'm not concerned about that. Has anyone done that? Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Aruba since 1979
    i think that United will be able to answer the question. checked bag or cargo?

the tsa frequently goes thru checked luggage/bags and looks for whatever it is they are looking for.
    how will they go thru your boxes? will they seal it back up the way it is supposed to be sealed?
    then there is the aruba customs issue. will you be required to pay duty on the items that you are bringing in?

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    we plan on checking a couple of boxes (have the linear inches from airline==United). We want to take things for the wedding and not use suitcases because we don't want to bring them back. I am flying first class so I know we can take two checked bags each. Are boxes considered a checked bag or is that something completely different. We bring carry on for our clothes so I'm not concerned about that. Has anyone done that? Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    United has no problem. As long as you stay within the 62 linear inches and weight, they don't care if its a suitcase, a box or a bag. So that's fine. I have no idea about customs, though. Anyone who has brought things in know the answer to that? I mean its like beach towels, tote bags, candles, etc., things for the guests' rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i think that United will be able to answer the question. checked bag or cargo?
    I could not agree more!

In the least with boxes, I would carry a roll of packing tape in case the box is opened by TSA.

First class passengers may have a special phone number for easier access???

Either way...Don't know when you are traveling, but found this

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/embargo.aspx excess baggage embargo: June 4, 2013 through August 31, 2013

Even if you travel after 8/31 you may want to keep an eye on that page for changes.

Last edited by Arubalisa; 06-16-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: removed summer from the url and now it WORKS!!! :O)

that page could not be found. but the woman at united mentioned excess weight. she said as long as it is within the linear inches and the weight, we probably would use two boxes and they would be below the linear inches. it is 62 linear inches and the boxes are 56 linear inches. I'm just concerned with what Andrea said about customs. Since there will be like 15 tote bags and towels, etc., I don't want them to think we're trying to sell them in Aruba. LOL...

Aruba since 1979
    i would be concerned with the tsa opening the boxes and then NOT securing them properly.

aruba customs could/will place a dollar figure on the items and may charge you duty.
    when going thru aruba customs the last stop after retrieving one's luggage at the luggage conveyor/carousel at aruba's airport..sealed boxes/cartons will most assuredly be targeted for inspection.
    if i were in your shoes, and allowed to bring 2 suitcases each, then why not bring it in checked suitcases?
    1. you said checked luggage is free since you are flying first class
    2. sealed cartons can be wrecked in transit, improperly taped by tsa, and aruba customs would most likely want to inspect and could add duty/tax....adding to costs.

the only downside for you is bringing home empty suitcases. but imo, that downside is far less involved than the worry and hassle of sealed cartons/boxes.

again, just my opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    that page could not be found. but the woman at united mentioned excess weight. she said as long as it is within the linear inches and the weight, we probably would use two boxes and they would be below the linear inches. it is 62 linear inches and the boxes are 56 linear inches. I'm just concerned with what Andrea said about customs. Since there will be like 15 tote bags and towels, etc., I don't want them to think we're trying to sell them in Aruba. LOL...

its up to my stepdaughter. I am not bringing home the suitcases. so if she doesn't care if they stay there, I have no problem with that. I don't check luggage, but will for the wedding stuff. perhaps she can get duffle bag type luggage, this way she can fold them up and put them in her suitcase. i'm sure her fiancée must have at least one, he was in the army. but that has always been our understanding, i'll check it going but not coming home. it is too much of a hassle at Newark airport.

we decided rather than chance it, we'll use those space bags for the towels, you can put 5 in a bag and they are like nothing (these are thin beach towels from Christmas tree shoppes). I'm sure glad I asked. Andrea, I would never have thought that about customs because I never check any bags. We are going to use duffle bags and space bags. this way the duffle bags can be folded because she is taking luggage with her. thanks for that info!!!!

Thank you Lisa. The woman at United couldn't stress enough the overweight baggage. She ended every sentence with that comment, lol. We found two nice size duffle style bags. We are going to use those. I also said everyone (meaning family) will have to help with bringing some things because of the weight excess. Even if things fit, it may be overweight. But this way, the duffles can be flattened and put in her suitcase for the trip home since a lot of stuff won't be in the suitcase anymore. Anyway, I do have all the paperwork from the Radisson showing the wedding so even if the bags are opened and they see the stuff, hopefully they will understand it is for the wedding and not to sell there. But once again, thanks for helping us avoid a possible mess. I told her you can't guarantee they won't open the bags but at least we're not waving it in their faces.............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast