Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Big problem with travel

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    i wish jetblue would fly out of newark. i know eventually they will. but there's no way i would go to kennedy in ny. it takes with no traffic (and that NEVER happens) at least an hour to drive to kennedy and then the thought of coming home, landing and having another hour to hour & a half ride home - no way. i'll pay the extra cost for newark. i live 20 minutes from Nwk airport.

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Good morning everyone,

The title of this thread is called "Big Problem with Travel". This isn't going to make some who live on the east coast feel any better but a little perspective is called for here.

If you've basically been used to going wherever you want at any time you want, then all of a sudden you have to change because of pricing or scheduling changes it is inconvenient for sure, but that's all it is. To get bent out of shape and call an overnight stay in Miami "outrageous" .

We live in Winnipeg, Canada (about 500 miles northwest of Minneapolis) and we go to Aruba every January. Getting to Aruba is a full day's travel, usually with two connections, (United to Chicago, American Chicago to Miami then American MIA to Aruba). By full day I mean getting up at 3:00am and arriving at night. If we can get an airfare to Aruba for about $1000.00, we feel we've done well.

Have people actually cancelled their vacations to Aruba because of these fare and scheduling changes?

Big problem with travel? I guess it depends on your perspective.

Have a good one everybody,

Glenn
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 10-29-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: EDITED at 7:15 pm on oct 29 by andrea for comment that was perceived as disrespectful to some.

I have to agree with Glenn about flying to Aruba. If someone in Canada does not live in Toronto, travelling to Aruba can be long and expensive.

Everything in perspective. The prices people can pay in the US for travel to Aruba, we in Canada woud kill for!! Once, a few years ago when the economy took a dive we actually flew to Aruba for around $6oo but the usual price for us is around $1,000. In addition, there is no way to fly direct except from Toronto and then you will pay around $1600!!

When we go to Aruba we have always had to fly and stay overnight but luckily we would arrive in the early evening and then take the early flight to Aruba. Coming home we can do it all in one day. Just this year they added a flight to Charlotte so we could fly all in one day but with a short connection time and it is a bit too risky. Even some of my friends from Toronto are flying into the US and then onto Aruba as the price will be almost half of what Air Canada charges.

So Linda, although you might be upset, we in Canada consider you very lucky. AA might work for some people coming from different areas of the US with their flight times but if you are coming from the East Coast there are lots of options at great prices, you just have to look around and buy early.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Randi & Glenn, if it were convenient for you, just out of curiosity, would you fly from Plattsburg to Aruba through Fort Lauderdale at a price of say $530 in high season, February?

The downside being you leave at 1:30 a.m. and arrive in Aruba about 4 pm?

Is this just a matter of economics?
    There will be people who WILL pay $1000 for the convenience of better flight times.

If so, does this prove "supply and demand"?

There are only a limited number of seats on those flights with "normal" times so the airlines-- who are in business to turn a profit for their stockholders in our Capitalist society-- CAN and DO charge more?

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I always allocate my time in the equation. if i can save $200 dollars but it adds on 3 hours, its not worth it to me. so it is a matter of perspective, convenience and also the most important thing, economics. if you are from an area that you have no choice and must have connecting flights, well there you go. but if you're from my area, (NJ/NY), then we have lots of choices and it comes down to your needs. For me, vacation means vacation so i'm willing to spend more for total convenience from start of the trip to home. my husband would prefer economics but since i make the plans, he has no choice, lol. if i really could, i'd splurge on first class but that is ridiculous, even i must admit it. and of course mileage to upgrade to 1st class is NEVER available conveniently on any flights i want to use. so once again it comes down to individual tastes. is price or convenience the deciding factor. like i said, to me it is convenience and to my husband it is price. I ALWAYS win, lol......

Winnipeg to Platsburgh is way too far. As for me, it also is a too far. As was stated on the other thread, this is a great option for people who live in Montreal as it is only one hour away.

Another issue for us Canadians is travelling in the winter. When choosing your flight options and connection times you have to take into consideration the weather factor. That is one upside to the flight from Toronto as it almost never gets cancelled because we are used to the snow and have the equipment to deal with it. For this reason, overnighting someplace is a safer way to travel.

We don't fight it, we just accept the fact that flights to Aruba are expensive. Luckily, we use frequent flyer miles for our Feb/March travel and only have to purchase flights for our Christmas travel.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Aruba since 1979
    re: the weather issue that randi mentioned

when we live in maine we always had to take weather forecasts into the big picture. in e. massachusetts, not as much.

so many factors are responsible for our individual needs/wants.

jet blue was never right for us as their pricing was too high, so we often opted for the aa flights making connection at jfk or mia.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Winnipeg to Platsburgh is way too far. As for me, it also is a too far. As was stated on the other thread, this is a great option for people who live in Montreal as it is only one hour away.

Another issue for us Canadians is travelling in the winter. When choosing your flight options and connection times you have to take into consideration the weather factor. That is one upside to the flight from Toronto as it almost never gets cancelled because we are used to the snow and have the equipment to deal with it. For this reason, overnighting someplace is a safer way to travel.

We don't fight it, we just accept the fact that flights to Aruba are expensive. Luckily, we use frequent flyer miles for our Feb/March travel and only have to purchase flights for our Christmas travel.

Quote Originally Posted by fattypatty View Post
    unfortunately, after jetblue's entry into the aruba, american started retrenching. i don't think aruba is a priority route for aa anymore. they've been cutting back on the aruba route for a while now.
    Fattypatty,
    Funny you should say that, when we first started going to Aruba AA had somekind of deal where they were the only airlines flying there. It was only the 1st year or 2, then it opened up for all the others.
    What is interesting is that it is such a pain in the rump now to get a decent flight on AA that you have to wonder if what you stated is true and they do not consider it worth their wile any more.
    I use USAir since I live close to Pittsburgh and leave at 9 from here to Charlotte and 1045 from Charlotte to AUA. Get there at 330 and the cost was 420 with taxes.......Seems USAir is really reasonable when it comes to flying and prices now adays....since they merged with America West a few years ago they are decent on their prices......can't get a bag of pretzels though...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

i have problems with the weather, too, because my husband can only get away in december and of course living in NJ, that's always a problem. its like russian roulette, you never know if its going to be nice or not. we usually take the first morning flight so if there might be a problem, at least we'll be the first out before the back up or if it just starts snowing, then we usually just beat it.

I'm hearing that JetBlue is expensive. Why did I always think they were such a cheap airline to fly but they didn't fly out of alot of places. Maybe I'm thinking of another airline. I've never flown with them because they don't fly out of Newark or if they do, its no place I want to go. but I thought they were this bargain airline. oh well, you learn something new each day and with this forum, i am ALWAYS learning something new, lol, it great.

I wish I have your problemsFor me 5h(driving to Manchester)3h(awaiting on Airport)9h(non stop flight)=17 hours TRIP

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast