Aruba Beach

Thread: Briing Jewelryl into Canada

Briing Jewelryl into Canada

Hello folks,

I'm in Aruba now and considering the purchase of a men's Rolex. The prices here are quite competetive. My wife figures I will end up in jail if I try to smuggle one home to Canada. Does anyone know what it will cost me to declare it and pay the appropriate duties? I can't spend the entire afternoon on the Canadian Customs site, we leave tomorrow.

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

K
    Last edited by Kevandra; 04-08-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Here is my advise: Wear it home, how will they know? You won't be the first person to do this.

Just spoke with someone at Customs to get a quick answer to your question:

The amount of money that will be charges is the value minus our $750 US exemption amount but luckily our dollar is high now!

If the watch is made in the US or Mexico there will be no duty assessed due to Free trade otherwise there is 5% duty

The difference of money paid from exemption is taxed at 5% GST and then whatever provincial tax you need to pay, depending if you are entering Canada in Ontario, Quebec etc.

Apparently, there is a $300 discretionary amount over the $750 exemption on the duty charge.

Good luck!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Thank you, thank you, thank you....

Aruba since 1979
    per the rules of aruba.com
    "Do not intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, including but not limited to any regulations having the force of law while using or accessing "Aruba.com Community Forum" or in connection with your use of "Aruba.com Community Forum" in any manner."

i think we all need to be mindful of what we post.

if X was detained by US or Canadian customs because Y advised him to wear it,
    that would = Z and Z='s not a good thing or unhappy times.

yup, many.......very many wear their aruba purchased goods home.
    very very many do not and do declare it.

and i do not intend to be lecturing......really not my intent.
    and i am embarrassed that it sounds lecturing.

andrea

Andrea, I just thought it sounded like good, sound, common sense. After all, why tempt fate and possibly screw up what's likely been a wonderful experience?

1 day and a bit... I can feel the sand under my feet already.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

As the wife of Mr. K, I thank you for your common sense advise. I think I have broken through the temptation to "just wear it". I do not want to be hung up in Canadian Customs while they cart my husband off to an interrogation room, strip search him, and then ask him for even more money. However, his original question is actually what the cost is, on something that could be a $4,000 purchase. Is it worth it? Should he just ebay it or shop it out at Birks.

Is it $4,000 x 20%? = $4,800? I think that is what it works out to, but its hard to figure out. (We are in Ontario).

(and it is jewelery, not whatever he wrote) lol

You need to know your prices back home to see if its worth it. Your purchase would be taxed on the rates I gave you. If paying the duty and tax, you still come out ahead, well there is your answer.

Good luck!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

I would be wary of any Warranties. A lot of purchaces are not covered when bought outside of North America.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada