Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bringing your large dog to Aruba ?

Bringing your large dog to Aruba ?

Hello All ,
    I am having trouble finding an airline to fly my large dog(65lbs) from Toronto to Aruba.I have also tried cargo and no success.Anyone else that went through this?Any info is much appreciated .

Aruba since 1979
    Contact members: luvsun, aquaman or sugar.
    They speak from experience .

Hi Andrea,
    Thank you .I know Aquaman's pets but they are small and they come in the cabin with them .I will try luvsun and sugar.

Air Canada flies dogs up to 70 lbs.
    WestJet is up to 160 lbs (but you must include the weight of the kennel).
    Last edited by act1966; 01-05-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    Aquaman did up til a couple of years ago have a larger dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonaV View Post
    Hi Andrea,
    Thank you .I know Aquaman's pets but they are small and they come in the cabin with them .I will try luvsun and sugar.

Hi Act1966,
    Westjest and Aircanada do not fly dogs in the belly of the plane to Aruba
    Andrea,I will write to Aquaman.
    Thank you
    S

All changed about 3--4 years ago. One particular US carrier was negligent which resulted in an animals death and a subsequent large lawsuit that the airline lost. After that several things changed. Certain airlines will not transport at all. Those that do subscribe to a temperature scale. If the temperature exceeds a certain level at the point of landing, the airline will not accept the dogs to be transported as cargo.

When we had our big boys, at 80 and 110lb respectively, the following would accept them, although it was an expensive proposition......American, UsAir , Delta.

i would double check with both Air Canada and Westjet. See if it is because of that temperature issue that they informed you of not flying them.

One friend end came down from US on a freighter that took passengers. I believe they had berths for like 6 or 8 people. No great dining room. Got to eat with Captain and First mate
    Last edited by aquaman; 01-05-2016 at 04:37 PM.

I understand Westjet no longer accepts animals for certain countries and Aruba is on that list. Just found this out from my SIL who is heavily involved in the pet world and came down here recently with her little guy

Thank you all !Once I find out who can transport my dog I will share it here for anyone that might be interested .

Hello All,
    Thank you Aquaman!I have called American Airlines and it seems that they are the only ones that can fly large dogs .There are some excluded breeds ::https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...tance/pets.jsp -
    We can fly out of Toronto and stop over in Miami provided that the temperature is not below 7Celsius at departure and it is $200 per kennel.There are some planes that will not allow pets in the cargo area :"Checked pets cannot travel on A321S, A321H, A320, A319 aircraft and all flights operated by our regional partner Air Wisconsin"
    Hope this helps!
    S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast