Aruba Beach

Thread: Buying jet blue points

Buying jet blue points

Anyone buy jet blue points to travel? I have just about enough for a round trip for my self but if I purchased 55k points for appx $1040, I could buy 3 round trip tickets using points plus a small fee for taxes. They are running a special buying points- show as buy 30k they give you 15 k free. The one way trips I am looking at are going for 13k-17k in points....

Thoughts/experience?
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 03-01-2016 at 11:17 AM.

It all depends on what you would normally pay for those flights vs. the amount you're paying for the miles. We always try to use our miles for flights that we normally would not pay for (for us that's first/business class to Europe) so that you get the most value for your mile. Everyone is different though.....

In other words.....

The value of a mile relates directly to the dollar value of the ticket for which you're redeeming the miles. If you redeem 25,000 miles for a ticket you would have purchased for $89, the value of the miles you will have used is 0.36 cents per mile. However, if you use the same miles to procure a ticket priced at $2,000, then the value of your miles increases to 8 cents per mile.
    So, when redeeming your miles for an award ticket, consider the value of those miles relative to the dollar value of the same ticket if you were to purchase it (i.e., divide the price of the ticket by the number of miles you would have to redeem for it). In some cases, it makes sense to buy a ticket instead of using miles.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Thanks Amy- Right now our tickets for our summer trip would be roughly $675 each. It looks like if I buy the points (and change my date) I could potentially get my airfair for approx $1050 or so, saving about $900 cash. I wish I did not book my April trip on Southwest...I would have just used my points for that trip, I am not looking forward to SWA to be honest, mostly because of the time I leave Boston.

I am still sickened it took me almost 25 years of travel to figure out the points benefits....sad!

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Thanks Amy- Right now our tickets for our summer trip would be roughly $675 each. It looks like if I buy the points (and change my date) I could potentially get my airfair for approx $1050 or so, saving about $900 cash. I wish I did not book my April trip on Southwest...I would have just used my points for that trip, I am not looking forward to SWA to be honest, mostly because of the time I leave Boston.

I am still sickened it took me almost 25 years of travel to figure out the points benefits....sad!
    Southwest has no change fees, you can cancel your ticket and you have a year to use the credit. Of course that only works if you will use it later.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    jay sometimes folks do not have the time to learn and figure out the points.
    don't beat yourself up over it.

we booked a SWA recently (we use them now almost exclusively) and for the dates we wanted and the location.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post

Andrea, I am actually ok, lol- I always considered myself GREAT with making money money go far....I could have made it go much further had I known then what I know now. At this point I am just trying to catch up and make sure I use my points wisely going forward. Its actually like a game for me now....a fun one trying to see if I can travel for free or almost free.

Tracey, my wife won't ever fly SWA so I will be keeping my ticket and I will "suffer" without jetblue in April, but thanks for letting me know about being able to exchange them...
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 03-01-2016 at 01:49 PM.