Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Carry ons only?

Carry ons only?

Anyone ever go to Aruba for a week without checking luggage? We are going to try it!

I intend to spend a lot of time in my bathing suit or shorts, so I figured how much clothes can we need? We can always use the laundry service if necessary.

I'd like to not have to check luggage to save time, and get my booty to the beach faster.

What do you think?

Just got here today and bags are really not a problem at the Aruba airport, so don't feel too pressured to carry on. By the time we got through immigration (only 5 -10 minutes) the bags were coming down to the carousel. The real problem is landing back in Newark where it always seems like a 15-30 miute wait.

By the way, the weather this afternoon (we landed about 1:30) was great. Sunny, hot, with a beautiful breeze. Had a great dinner at Amuse Bistro-will write a detailed review when I get back.

Aruba since 1979
    i think it CAN be done.
    i KNOW it can be done.

paul and i used to each travel by only CARRY ON to aruba.
    (last few trips we checked our bags)

it was easier prior to 911

I'm also paranoid about the airline losing my luggage, so there is also a piece of mind factor

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    The last time I checked luggage was in 1978 when I went to Tahiti and they lost my luggage. Since then I've travelled ONLY with carry on. I use the space travel bags (not the ones you need a vacuum cleaner). they are amazing. my husband & I are going again to aruba for two weeks, we both take carry ons and I take a big tote bag (it looks like a purse only its big). I pack everything in space bags. its amazing the room that you have. and let me finish by saying I take a minimum of 5 pairs of shoes plus 2 pairs of flip flops, one in my tote bag. I take at least 3 purses. we do have a washer & dryer so I take enough clothes for one week and its usually like 5 skirts and two capris. and then I take the tops. including everything else (bathing suits, shorts, jammies, intimates, etc), I STILL have room to shop in aruba. Oh, also, did I mention I put my pillow in the space bag and take that, too. Its not as flat when you roll it as your clothes but its not as big as it would be normally.

so to answer your question, I tell anyone who travels with me, we don't do check in luggage. make sure your carry on is 41 linear inches (width/height/length combined). if you use space travel bags, you will be amazed. you can get them at Bed Bath and if you have a coupon, they are like $15 for 8 bags in 3 sizes.

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    Gaby, that is an impressive list. I check two bags and still have a sizable carry-on. I will definitely have to check out the space travel bags.

I am looking into these right now.

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.aruba.com/ExploretheIslan...for_aruba.aspx
    check out this above link for packing hints

i have a bunch of the "space bags" in my timeshare box in aruba and here at home.

the ones i have in aruba, are the "roll the air out model" and the ones here are the "suck the air out with a vacuum hose"

We did 5 nights in Aruba over NYE this past year and both did carry-ons only. I think I could probably do it for a 7 day trip but we usually stay in Aruba anywhere from 10-17 days. The requirements on liquids is what usually trips me up and I can't get everything into that quart size baggie for a 10-17 day trip.

I think I do pretty good for 17 days though - one checked bag and one carry-on that fits under the seat in front of me.

It definitely was nice though on that NYE trip to not wait for luggage. We were bumped up to First Class (seats 1A and 1B) so we were the first ones off the plane, first ones through immigration, no bags to wait for.....we were literally out the airport door within 5 minutes.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Banned
    I can never do "just carry on" because of the toiletry restrictions. When traveling in the US, it's okay to take trial sizes, and buy bigger sizes when you reach your destination...but on ARUBA, you don't want to have to buy shampoo, toothpastes, lotion, mouthwash, etc. It's too expensive.

Also, what is the name of the packing bags that you don't need a vacum for? Where can I purchase these? Or are the vacum ones better?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast