Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Carry ons only?

On a typical trip I bring dive gear. --No way is that going carry on, since it fills a very large suit case and tips the scales at 45 lbs. Everything else goes as carry on, with the exception of sun block and shampoo. I always find it amazing how little clothing I need when I travel to the Caribbean.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    first, make sure you get the travel space bags where you can roll the air out. actually, i like them better anyway but when you're travelling, you don't always have a vacuum.

as far as toiletries, we go for two weeks. we have my zip lock and my husband's so between the two zip locks, we're good to go. i would never let that keep me from carry on. the only thing i buy there is the aruba aloe but i bring an empty 3 oz with me. i use the lotion while i'm there and by the time i am ready to come home, i fill the small bottle up with what's left. also, whatever isn't finished in the shampoo, conditioner, etc, i don't even take them home with me. i throw them out. the 3 oz bottles you can get for $1 or $1.50 so i just buy new ones anyway.

the other great thing about just carry on is when you get off the plane and go through customs, you're done. but the best is when you get home, since you've already done customs, you get off the plane and we have someone just meet us at the international departure outside (its always less crowded then the arrivals, at least at newark). no waiting for luggage. that alone is enough for me, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    as far as toiletries, we go for two weeks. we have my zip lock and my husband's so between the two zip locks, we're good to go. i would never let that keep me from carry on. the only thing i buy there is the aruba aloe but i bring an empty 3 oz with me. i use the lotion while i'm there and by the time i am ready to come home, i fill the small bottle up with what's left. also, whatever isn't finished in the shampoo, conditioner, etc, i don't even take them home with me. i throw them out. the 3 oz bottles you can get for $1 or $1.50 so i just buy new ones anyway.
    I think I have ALOT more liquids than you do! LOL!! Plus, I can't really share too much of hubby's ziploc baggie because he has a ton of liquids of his own (contact lens fluids, etc.)
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Its always better to travel lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    I think I have ALOT more liquids than you do! LOL!! Plus, I can't really share too much of hubby's ziploc baggie because he has a ton of liquids of his own (contact lens fluids, etc.)
    We are in your group. Dh and I each use different eye fluids. Liquid deodorants etc. Dd and I each use different spf sunscreen and Aruba Aloe suntan lotion is no where anywhere near strong enough for either of us. Since we no longer travel with books, the sunscreen was our biggest weight issue.

Nice staying at the Radisson though with high quality soaps, body wash, shampoo, conditioner etc.

I envy anyone who can travel with only a carry on. It just does not work for us. Luckily we do not have to worry about connections so in 20 trips have never had "lost luggage" issues either.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    we need the usual, though. shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, mousse, toothpaste, contact lens fluid, my husband's hair stuff, suntan lotion & mosquito repellent. i also put those packets of tide that are good for one wash. i bring 6 of those. we fit it in two ziplocks. i'm bad at puzzles but i can fit anything into a carry on, lol, within reason of course. certainly not dive equipment, lol...

<--- off to read about the taking of liquids on a carry on.

I would love to take carry ons only.

So we get one quart bag and fill it up with as much that will fit>>?>

my wife has one suitcase dedicated too shampoo, hairspray, suntan lotion. 50 lbs of liquid.
    we use everything!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
    <--- off to read about the taking of liquids on a carry on.

I would love to take carry ons only.

So we get one quart bag and fill it up with as much that will fit>>?>
    Not exactly. There are limitations and exceptions:

Make Your Trip Better Using 3-1-1

TSA and our security partners conducted extensive explosives testing since August 10, 2006 and determined that liquids, aerosols and gels, in limited quantities, are safe to bring aboard an aircraft. The one bag limit per traveler limits the total amount each traveler can bring. Consolidating the bottles into one bag and X-raying them separately from the carry-on bag enables security officers to quickly clear the items.
    3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure.
    Be prepared. Each time TSA searches a carry-on it slows down the line. Practicing 3-1-1 will ensure a faster and easier checkpoint experience.
    3-1-1 is for short trips. If in doubt, put your liquids in checked luggage.
    Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. Officers may need to open these items to conduct additional screening.

http://www.tsa.gov/311/
    Last edited by corona; 07-12-2011 at 06:39 PM.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

you can fill up the quart zip lock but the bottles can't be any more than 3 ozs. even when i bring the tide packets for the washing machine, they may be factory sealed but they STILL have to be under 3 ozs.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast