Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Carry ons only?

...and it includes gels. When in doubt...don't.

so, do people buy their bigger sizes when they arrive at the destination. (example- sunscreen which we do need in Aruba?) i can imagine that being pretty pricey

We have not checked out bags on any trips for the last two years. You can do it. We go to Aruba for two weeks at a time and take everything we need, plus a noodle for the pool ($1 in US and $10 in Aruba) in our carry on. I do take a large tote bag with my medications and one outfit and swimsuit. My husband takes a back pack with the laptop. You can do it, especially, if you have washer/dryer or laundry service available to you. As far as toothpaste, lotion, mouthwash, etc. -- try Ling & Sons -- price are comparable to US on many items.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I agree Patti Ann, it can be done. If you're going for one week, definitely can be done. If you're going for two weeks, chances are you have a washer/dryer available. i have wild curly hair and no one needs to use more hair products then me, especially in aruba-the worse place for curly hair- and i get them all in the zip lock. I can make it two weeks with the 3 oz bottles. if i was there longer, then I wouldn't take anything with me and just buy everything at ling's.

I know we could easily fit everything for a week's stay in carry-on if we wanted to. My husband and I and our kids just returned from a 10 day stay in Scotland with carry-ons only.

I always check a bag for Aruba though with our bottles of sunscreen (if you buy it at the resort it's $$$), my favorite flavored vodka , and other odds and ends that I probably don't need, but since we're checking a bag anyway . I always carry a couple of small bottles of sunscreen in my 311 bag and other essentials as carry-on (especially my swimsuit!) in case our checked bag gets waylaid (happened once, but we got it the next day). Really, most everything I need for the week is in my carry-on.

(Reminder: carry-on - toothpaste and gel deodorant, but not stick, have to go in the 311 bag.)
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Quote Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
    so, do people buy their bigger sizes when they arrive at the destination. (example- sunscreen which we do need in Aruba?) i can imagine that being pretty pricey
    That is why we would not be able to do carry on only.

We stay a a timeshare and every year. Because I love to cook, I pack kitchen knives and other equipment into a checked bag which would not be allowed in carry-ons.

I'm thinking sunscreen might be the only thing I will have to buy there. How much could one large bottle be? Whatever it is, I'm thinking buying it is a small price to pay for peace of mind and a quick exit from the airport on both ends. I am also considering buying a large tube of it and squeezing it into 3 oz bottles. Shampoo and soap should be provided by the hotel.

Aruba since 1979
    in aruba a large container of sunscreen may be about double the price of what it'd be in the usa.

example i use the hawaiian tropic carrot oil stuff on my legs.
    here in usa at walmart it is about $8.
    in aruba it'd be about $17 or higher.

i use neutrogena sunscreen spray on my face and in aruba it will run you about $15

if you choose to buy your stuff in aruba, buy your sunscreen lotions at LINGS
    much cheaper at Lings than at the hotel convenience stores.

what about toothpaste?
    i used to get the small samples from the dentist and save for travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold Family Vacay View Post
    I'm thinking sunscreen might be the only thing I will have to buy there. How much could one large bottle be? Whatever it is, I'm thinking buying it is a small price to pay for peace of mind and a quick exit from the airport on both ends. I am also considering buying a large tube of it and squeezing it into 3 oz bottles. Shampoo and soap should be provided by the hotel.

We travel every year for 2 weeks with carry-on including 5 pairs of sandals and tennis shoes and racquets. Liquids have not been an issue as we use the TS shampoo and conditioner. Contact lens liquid 3 oz lasts 2 weeks and recently I switched to daily wear lenses which do not necessitate lens liquid. We love the Aruba aloe sun care products and so buy our screen when we arrive at the local pharmacy - about 6-8 US. What we have left we empty into our empty shampoo and conditioner bottles and bring home. We have also done carry for Italy for 27 days and 3 weeks in Spain. I would not travel any other way.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast