Aruba Beach
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Carry ons only?

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    This year I booked our US Air flight seats in the back of the plane, hoping we'll get on sooner.
    That generally doesn't help too much despite what they say on the website.
    http://flights.usairways.com/en-US/t...g_process.html

If it isn't worth the extra $5 (could be wrong on that number) for choice seats, boarding priority is then given to those that check in online and then those that check in at the ticket counter are then boarded based on how early they checked in. The old days of boarding back to front are long gone.

I've been in the last zone and been in the window seat of the next to last row. That always makes it fun for finding somewhere to stow my bag.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    continental boards from the back of the plane EXCEPT first they say first class, which of course is understandable, then the elite passengers, then those with problems or small children. by the time they start doing general boarding, the plane is half full. and then you have to wait till everyone gets seated. they should just start at the back of the plane forward with the exception of first class. those that have small children and its a big to do to get situated, they should go last. it would move so much quicker. the way they do it now, its just a a free for all because 1/2 the plane is elite or kids.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    I always check in on line the day before. This particular flight out of my little airport always loads elite, passengers that need assistance or with kids, then back to front, with middle last. I had mistakenly booked in the middle. I tried to purchase better seats, but all they had were expensive first class or business class. They also don't sell exit rows, which I was really hoping for. They assign exit rows at the check in desk. A few years ago, I was able to get them, but not on this particular flight. This time, I just have to hope for the best.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    i usually pick the back, too, and never had a problem getting my carry on in the overhead compartment but I still think they board the plane all over the place. it would go so much smoother if they adhered to back to front. this year we got a chance to upgrade to first class both ways so i'm thrilled. i figured since with continental you can NEVER use your miles, i might as well use them for first class, lol.

Carry-on luggage packing test

We are heading to Aruba on Saturday. A few months ago after following some talk on the forum about carrying on versus checking luggage I told my husband how great it would be to just take a carry-on this time. We could get off the plane (we are using points for first class this trip) and beat the crowd to the customs line. As soon as the words slipped out of my lips I regretted it because I didn't think I could do it. Packing for 12 days with such a tiny suitcase. Yikes!

Today I decided I better do a test run and see if I could actually get it all in there. I DID IT! Mind you we will have to wash clothes at least once but the last five days of the trip we are staying at the Marriott Surf Club with a washer/dryer in the room.

Between the suitcase and my beach bag I have 7 pairs of shorts, one pair of capris, 8 tank tops, 2 t-shirts, 2 swimsuits with coverups, nightgowns, undergarments, 2 pair sandals, a float, a bag cooler, vacation vault, snorkle and mask, toiletries and sunscreen, camera, i-pod, e-reader, chargers for everything, small purse, cell phone, all my reservations printed and my passport. I am ready!

Aruba since 1979
    too many shorts ;-)

ditch a couple of pair of shorts and add in another bathing suit!

are any of your liquids in your toiletry bag more than 3 oz?

you DUN GOOD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    too many shorts ;-)

ditch a couple of pair of shorts and add in another bathing suit!

are any of your liquids in your toiletry bag more than 3 oz?

you DUN GOOD!!
    Andrea you are probably right about the shorts/swimsuit! All my liquids are in 3 oz or less and fit into one bag. Now that was a trick.

I don't know if this makes a difference but in Aruba you don't pick up your luggage until after immigration so you will be with everyone else in the lines. Although being first off will help.

Sorry but also on a more personal note you are a MUCH better person than me. We own our a home on the island so I have a complete wardrobe there but I still end up most trips taking a checked bag. There are always clothes I want from here to wear there..........it is a vicious cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by purestone2004 View Post
    I don't know if this makes a difference but in Aruba you don't pick up your luggage until after immigration so you will be with everyone else in the lines. Although being first off will help.

You are right I had forgotten the system already! Once through there we will have no line to wait for luggage. I still hope to shave some time off.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast