Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CBP cutbacks

CBP cutbacks

If anyone comes home in the next few days, it would be nice to hear if there are any delays due to cutbacks at US customs in Aruba.

Chadd - I was wondering the same and also about airport delays leaving the country. Our trip is right around the time the furloughs will begin. We always try to book the first flight of the morning and get there early so I'm hoping that will help us. Just have to pack the patience and remember we are on vacation so there is no rush! It's the coming home that will be the hard part.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Flying to AZ from Pittsburgh next week....have heard they will be laying of TSA as well...will be interesting to see if it takes longer than normal to get through the lines as well....I usually make a point of getting to airport 1 1/2 hours early for US travel, so will be able to judge from that....Initial reports said waits could be up to a couple hours or more depending on which airport you are flying into/out of.....
    As for US Customs....will see in April when we go for a week...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Flying ATL to PBI tonight and Hartsfiled wait times are normal.

Just flew from MSP-PHX last week and from PHX-MSP this past weekend. The TSA "wait time" was normal at both airports.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

The furloughs don't start till April. If nothing happens to stop them before then, government employees will have to take 1 or 2 furlough days per pay period which means that when I would expect the slow downs to start. This will impact TSA security, customs agents, and air traffic controllers. Being in the DC area, we have several friends and family members who will be seeing a 20% pay cut over about 5 months. It is terrible.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Chadd - I was wondering the same and also about airport delays leaving the country. Our trip is right around the time the furloughs will begin. We always try to book the first flight of the morning and get there early so I'm hoping that will help us. Just have to pack the patience and remember we are on vacation so there is no rush! It's the coming home that will be the hard part.
    I don't think things are going to be nearly as difficult as they have said, but I hate politics and don't want to get into that. Watch sites like this one: http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp and you will get a good idea of what the ATC delays are like.

The furloughs don't start till April.
    All of my trips until then are business-related. But I do fly to Aruba on April 19th. Should be interesting.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Aruba since 1979
    Overtime of TSA at Chicago's Ohare and Orlando International has been curtailed immediately.
    (per the 5 pm abc affiliate tampa bay tv news)

The furloughs don't start till April. If nothing happens to stop them before then, government employees will have to take 1 or 2 furlough days per pay period which means that when I would expect the slow downs to start. This will impact TSA security, customs agents, and air traffic controllers. Being in the DC area, we have several friends and family members who will be seeing a 20% pay cut over about 5 months. It is terrible.
    In the state of Georgia, some public school teachers have seen furlough days, up to 10 days per year, for at least a few years now. My husband, an elementary special ed teacher, is right now looking at 12 days without pay next year. This year he has had 8 days without pay and they are saying there maybe more. People are ALWAYS very quick to remind him though, "At least be happy you have a job."

He works a second job as a college educator and that as well has had major cut backs. To all the federal employees, we say, "welcome to our world."

Flights at Hartsfield today were on time and there were TONS of TSA personnel standing around. I was even lucky enough to get a pat down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast