Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Clark Howard's opinion on best and worst airlines

Aruba since 1979

Clark Howard's opinion on best and worst airlines

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    figures we always flight United. They have all non-stops (we fly out of Newark). I know someone who just flew Virgin Atlantic and raved and raved about them. I'm hoping they expand from the USA to other places. I hope some airline can kick United's butt out of their comfort zone monopoly. But I just can't fathom changing planes for a 4 1/2 hour flight when I don't have to. If I had no choice, then that's different. But right now United is so full of themselves and just don't care at all about their customers. So to Virgin Atlantic, please add Caribbean flights, preferably Aruba, to your schedule.

Interesting. We fly Jet Blue and I find their flight crews are always pleasant. Also like that they will give you a credit if fares go down. However, I was toying with the idea of going to Turks and Caicos until I saw their fares were over $1500 per person round trip!! What's that about. It's a shorter flight than Aruba and we only paid $478 per person to fly to Aruba.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    for us to fly jet blue, we'd have to go to Kennedy or La Guardia. It would take us longer to get there with traffic then the flight would take so its not worth it. You would think Newark Airport would have Jet Blue there to the islands but no, they don't. Peg, there is no rhyme or reason to the cost of flights. But the person who actually figures it out should get a nobel prize for intelligence because I can NOT figure it out.

I fly USAir and can't wait to see what happens when the merger with AA is complete. I could not get a decent price with AA if my life depended on it (to anywhere)...so I sure hope US doesn't adopt the high prices that AA is already charging or I will be on the lookout for another airlines......Delta comes to mind and have decent prices...not quite as good as USAir, but if I have to switch that will be my choice.....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

We are very happy with Delta. The few times that we have had to cancel flights due to circumstances beyond our control- chicken pox and a failed adoption, we were given flight credits. Delta compensated my parents just about every penny when their flight to Aruba was cancelled last July.

As to United, my mother was injured by a sharp piece of metal protruding from a seat when deplaning a flight in October. The leg injury was bleeding severely enough that paramedics were called and she was taken to the ER by ambulance. United attendants DEMANDED that my father fill out and sign an incident report on the scene and would not let them depart until it was signed. Now THAT is customer NO SERVICE.

When we still lived in Jersey and were childless we traveled much more. After the demise of Air Aruba, Continental as Gaby says, was the only game in town. If we could get a flight out of JFK at the same price as Newark, working in the transportation costs, we flew out of JFK. To this day, if need be when traveling to NJ we will go out of our way and fly into Philadelphia if it helps us to avoid flying on United. A leopard can't change its spots and a zebra can't change its stripes. Airlines however can change not only the way they operate but offer a bit of kindness and service. They stunk to high heaven then and apparently they still do.

Until customers begin voting with their feet and their wallets and choose other airlines, United has NO incentive to change. Like I said, a little compassion can go a long way.

===>>> stepping off my soap box now <------

ArubaLisa,
    So is your mom okay ??? I would worry about some strange bugs being that so many people travel on these planes.....
    On another note, I would not fly United even if it meant not going to Aruba....do not trust them or like them enough to ever get on another flight with them. I remember when I was little my mom SWORE by United....no other airline compared as far as she was concerned....they have taken a significant nose dive over the years....My problem with them is that every flight I have taken (for business) has been cancelled, delayed to the point of missing my connecting flight and folks at the ticket counter refusing to help by putting me on a competitor so I can get to my destination. I was asked this question...."Why would we give our competitors money out of our pockets ??"
    So we will see what happens with US and AA....worried about it quite a bit.....Especially since I lost about 70,000 ff miles and Dh lost about the same with AA when the decided they would no longer give you forever miles. We didn't even get a warning, just got on one day to see if I could use them for Aruba and "POOF" they were gone. I called AA and was told they sent me an email warning me about the impending loss of miles....my problem was that I do not ever remember seeing it.....funny that huh ???
    Oh well....signing off my soap box as well .....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    ArubaLisa,
    So is your mom okay ???
    Thanks 14 stitches in her leg. Sent you a pm.

Gaby , i totally agree with you,, if we want direct out of newark, got to go United ,, but wish Jet Blue, would head to Newark and go to Aruba,, although woud also love Virgin

I don't understand why more airlines don't fly direct out of Newark. Why it was only continental and now of course through merger United. At least Continental was a semi-decent airline. United is the worse (obviously, lol). My stepmother just flew Virgin to California, said the most unbelievable flight, even the seats weren't insulting (by that I mean meant for a 2 year old's body, lol). Of course they are newly refurbished planes so they are going to be nice but she said the personnel are wonderful. She bragged more about the airline than the trip, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast