Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Clark Howard's opinion on best and worst airlines

I fly at least 5 trips a year and have learned to avoid united like the plague. The customer service is scathing at best. I fly united many times due to last minute flights and they are the only option- stay away if you can, far, far away.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    unfortunately, for us who live 15 minutes from Newark Airport, it is not an option. I am not going to take a flight, have a lay over in Miami or wherever, turn a 4.5 hour flight into a 10 hour ordeal AND the best part is I wouldn't save any money. So until another airline flies non-stop to aruba from Newark, we are pretty much screwed. the only good news is that we fly first class so the horror is at a minimum, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    the only good news is that we fly first class so the horror is at a minimum, lol.
    I could overlook a lot if I flew first class. We have been fortunate enough to fly 1st class a few times and surely appreciate the higher standard of service.

This trip to Aruba (we're still here), was our first flying United out of Newark. We live closer to Philadelphia and have always flown USAir. USAir gouges us since they are the only airline that flies non-stops on Sa/Su/M from PHL to AUA. They have increased their rates over the past few years to be in the astronomical zone. A friend recommended that we check out flying out of Newark to Aruba. Yes, United runs two non-stops to AUA. Well, I might be in the minority here, but we really can't complain about the service we experienced on our flight down. We saved a ton of $$$ over what we would have spent flying out of PHL. It was a longer drive for us to Newark, but worth the savings. I am also curious to see what the AA/USAir merger will bring. USAir definitely needs competition at PHL since it is one of their Hubs and owns
    most of the gates.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    First class is nice but its no way what it was prior to the "let's play the nickel & dime game" with customers. And believe me, if it wasn't for miles to upgrade, it sure isn't worth paying them for what they want for first class and what you get in first class. In its own way, first class plays that game too, at least with United. but what happed was when united merged with continental, they had so many "premier members" between the two airlines, that united removed some of the seats to give those who were entitled to economy plus status their seats and basically packed in less room and more seats for economy fliers. that's why United's planes basically suck the big one. All I know is I sure do wish Virgin would start flying to other places from Newark. Actually I wish ANY airline would fly non-stop to Aruba from Newark other than United. But until that happens, I am flying United.

jetblue.

jet blue doesn't fly direct from Newark to aruba. they do fly direct from Kennedy, too far. the trip to kennedy and back for us is the same as the direct flight to Aruba.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12