Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Complete Joke In Boston/TSA/Jet Blue

Angry Complete Joke In Boston/TSA/Jet Blue

So Dear Husband and I just got back from our Honeymoon in Aruba, and I wanted everyone to be aware of the BS that I had to deal with in BOS airport on Sunday 11/21

Having never flown international, when departing Aruba I went through security, Aruban Customs, Security Again, American Customs, and then we were "welcomed to the US " while still in Aruba. Kinda funny !

Then I went to the Duty Free to buy some Liquor for a gift for my family. As I am not a drinker myself, the deals were good, but I bought 2 bottles of Baileys and carried onto my flight.

So heres where the fun began, we land in BOS at gate C13. Our transfer flight to home in BUF was at Gate C31. Apparently in another terminal with guess what....... MORE SECURITY SCREENINGS !!!

Now I forget that I have liquor in my bag because I am supposed to just walk on to my next flight, with no issues. Not so much. Of course I was stopped, and told I would have to throw away my liquor or check it. After having a LOUD yelling and crying match with the TSA they allowed me to take the bottles to the Jet Blue counter ( IN MY SOCKS ) where I demanded to speak to a supervisor ( who told me it would be 30.00 to check my carry on. )

To which I replied in no uncertain terms...... Get the bag on the plane for free..... this is not my fault, no one told us there was MORE security !

Long story short and an hour later I was able to get the bag on for 0.00 after a lot of crying, but at the end of my honeymoon I should not have been subjected to that crap !

Just an FYI for anyone flying thru BOSTON to not buy at the Duty Free, or if your going to Buy it ahead of Customs and Check it in !

I also wrote a Scathing letter to JetBlue. Waiting to hear back on that !

Aruba since 1979
    i am a bit confused..........when landing in BOSTON at gate C13 you were in a secure area already.
    you then transferred to gate C 31 "not changing terminals right"?

a lousy way to end a great honeymoon.

now, if you had to change terminals at boston's logan, then yes another TSA screening would be in order as you would have to step out of "secure area" to get from your arrival destination to your departure destination.

sorry to hear of your nightmare.

Andrea, I know !!! I have never been to Bostons airport , We never left the "terminal" but there was a hallway that said Gates 1-13 which is the hall we came out of..... walked by the Jet Blue Ticket counter and then into a hall that said Gates 14-31.
    It was freaking Bizarre ! I mean I begged and pleaded with everyone to tell them we were "secure" passangers that were transfering flights, I even showed them my ticket stub, but no one cared ! I am just glad that its over...... and BTW when I landed in Aruba I swear there was a woman in Baggage claim that looked just like you !

Aruba since 1979
    well i am still sorry to hear of the nightmare.
    ridiculous, and i hope that you correspond in writing to Jet Blue.

Jet Blue takes pride in doing things right. (more than i can say for other airlines)

You may want to contact member by private message on this forum.
    He had some issues with delays, screw ups etc....
    He may be able to point you to the correct contact person(s).
    I do not think you are asking for financial compensation as no $$ were lost.
    IMO a good and reasonable explanation from them will suffice.
    Remember to mention honeymoon over and over and over.
    They will get the drift.

Someone in Aruba messed up actually, you're only allowed to carry on liquor if your on a direct flight to your destination. Since Boston was a connection, you should have had to check the liquor in Aruba, that would have saved you quite an aggravating end to an otherwise great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by mattnewhampshire View Post
    Someone in Aruba messed up actually, you're only allowed to carry on liquor if your on a direct flight to your destination. Since Boston was a connection, you should have had to check the liquor in Aruba, that would have saved you quite an aggravating end to an otherwise great trip.
    They always ask at Duty Free, but if you tell them you aren't connecting they let you take it with you.

i am a bit confused..........when landing in BOSTON at gate C13 you were in a secure area already.
    you then transferred to gate C 31 "not changing terminals right"?
    The TSA does random checks on domestic flights as you board the aircraft. If you have things you aren't supposed to have, the options are to check them or toss them.

ridiculous, and i hope that you correspond in writing to Jet Blue.

Jet Blue takes pride in doing things right. (more than i can say for other airlines)
    Jet Blue wasn't at fault in any way in this case from what has been said. They may pay to make the issue go away, but the problem stems from the original poster doing something that isn't permitted, and hasn't been permitted for years.
    Last edited by Chadd; 11-24-2010 at 01:04 PM.

I have to agree with Chadd. If you travel regularly (especially if you come from a city that you don't get too many direct flights to sun destinations) you will know that you are told not to buy duty free products if you have to transfer to another flight.

In Aruba we would love to bring home some duty free products but since we always need to transfer this option is out. We usually go home via Philly and clear customs in Aruba but this is still a "no no". In Toronto, you have leave the secured area and go through security again after you clear Canadian customs to continue on your journey.

As upset as MrsDH is, I think it is an unfortunate incident by (perhaps) an inexperienced traveler.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Sorry Chadd, Jet Blue is 100% at fault. They know what gates their flights use and if additional security will be met. 99% of flights transfer without need leave and then re-enter the airport secured area so only the most seasoned travelers on that route would know.
    Aruba where the toughest question each day is "where to dine tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by jdoll View Post
    Sorry Chadd, Jet Blue is 100% at fault. They know what gates their flights use and if additional security will be met. 99% of flights transfer without need leave and then re-enter the airport secured area so only the most seasoned travelers on that route would know.
    Why would Jet Blue be at fault for someone not following federal government regulations? You can't carry big bottles of booze from duty free to a connecting flight, even if you stay in the secure area, and haven't been legally permitted to do so for a number of years. "Seasoned travelers" may know where they can get away with breaking the law without getting caught, but that's hardly the fault of the airline or TSA personnel.

Jdoll - Thanks for your support.
    CHADD- I am not an experienced international traveler, this was my first trip...... and in no way was I trying to "break the law" or "avoid the law "
    But why do they sell Duty Free items on the other side of security if you cant Carry it on ?
    And if so why was I allowed to Carry it on in Aruba in a Plastic bag where they can see it ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast