Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Complete Joke In Boston/TSA/Jet Blue

Let me try it this way....

Unfortunately, you (mrsDH) were unaware of the rules for duty free shopping. The rules are that you may buy duty free and carry it on the plane if this flight will be your final destination. You will have to pack it in your luggage if you have another flight to your final destination. It does not matter whether or not you are leaving a secured area or not, this is the rule/law! When we travel home from Aruba and go via the US, we clear customs in Aruba so no duty free as we will have to make a connection to our city in Canada. If we go Air Canada, we will have to clear customs in Toronto before heading off to our second flight. If we buy duty free then we must put it in our checked luggage (we will have our bags as we have to clear customs) or else we can not buy any duty free.

Chadd was not implying you were trying to break the law only but only stating that for those who have brought liquid duty free onto a second flight have done so by sneaking it through as it is against the rules. He works for an airline so he is the most knowlegable amongst us.

Unfortuately, it is not Jet Blue's fault in this incident as those are the rules set out by the TSA. Perhaps, the duty free shop in Aruba did not make themselves very clear or there was some sort of misunderstanding. Regardless, this was an unfortunate incident that was upsetting but the airline was not in the wrong.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Aruba since 1979
    i was wondering if when mrsdh bought the liquor....they asked to see her boarding pass or asked where she was going. since her boarding pass said boston..or she may have said boston.
    now when folks fly out of aruba to boston, typically the majority of those folks on that plane really are making boston their final destination. therefore the duty free folks were at fault.

i have another question.........there is duty free near the "gate area" at the airport in aruba. when one buys there they carry their own stuff right to the gate and onto the plane. that duty free is beyond us customs.

apparently jet blue was not at fault.
    hopefully mrsdh was not made to feel "picked on".

Quote Originally Posted by mattnewhampshire View Post
    Someone in Aruba messed up actually, you're only allowed to carry on liquor if your on a direct flight to your destination. Since Boston was a connection, you should have had to check the liquor in Aruba, that would have saved you quite an aggravating end to an otherwise great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    hopefully mrsdh was not made to feel "picked on".
    Yes, I hope so too! We are a passionate bunch
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    He works for an airline so he is the most knowlegable amongst us.
    I'm sure there are a few people out there with more international experience than I have. And I do not work for Jet Blue, this isn't a case of me defending my employer.

I'm a bit confused. Hubby buys cigs in the duty free store in Aruba on the way home. We typically fly US Air and connect through Charlotte going to Hartford. We have not had any problems in Charlotte on any of our trips carrying the duty free bag when checking into our connecting flight to Hartford.

What am I missing? Should we be putting the duty free bag in the suitcase after we pass through US Customs in Aruba and before putting our bags on the conveyor belt for our airline? Don't want to run into this problem in March when we go again? Thanks for your insight!

The issue is only for liquids, from what I understand.

Last April, we bought vanilla at Duty-Free in Cancun airport. Continental to Newark to Hartford. We assumed we would be in secure area and not be screened again. Wrong. Had a chance to transfer vanilla to checked-bags, but didn't think we had to. Wrong again. Get to a screening area and had to donate Mexican vanilla. It happens.
    Walt
    "Vacation is what you make of it, take from it and what you leave behind."

Quote Originally Posted by EHampite View Post
    I'm a bit confused. Hubby buys cigs in the duty free store in Aruba on the way home. We typically fly US Air and connect through Charlotte going to Hartford. We have not had any problems in Charlotte on any of our trips carrying the duty free bag when checking into our connecting flight to Hartford.

What am I missing?
    It was not due to being a duty free item, it was due to being alcohol = liquid.
    You can pack liquid in your suitcase.
    You can carry on alcohol from Aruba as long as it is NOT a connecting flight.

Thanks for clarifying. That explains it!

In Aruba the duty free liquor is sold in Aruba (before US Customs), but the pickup area is past US Customs and officially in the United States. At pickup your liquor is no longer part of the US Customs process.

And connecting flights only matter if you must pass thru TSA security again. I can carry a bottle of water onto a flight in Aruba and board a connecting flight without breaking any laws. The bottle of liquor works the same since it was delivered to you on US soil (past US Customs). What you cannot do is take either the water or liquor thru TSA security because of the 3-1-1 rule.

The connecting flight rule applies when traveling internationally and clearing customs once you arrive in the USA. In Aruba you arrive in the USA once you have passed the US Customs official in Aruba.
    Aruba where the toughest question each day is "where to dine tonight".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast