Aruba Beach

Thread: Connecting thru MIAMI

Connecting thru MIAMI

We have only gone thru Miami one time, and it was a mess. We won't do that again, we just didn't have enough time between flights, and the airport was packed. This year we are leaving on Saturday the 22nd of May and we WERE going to come back, non-stop, on Sunday June 6th. They canceled the non-stop flight, but we could have come back on Sunday to Newark, then to Houston. That would have been ok BUT we would have only had 45 minutes between flights. Not knowing where the gate would have been we decided to take the non-stop on Saturday June 5th. I was upset to lose a whole day, but it beats trying to get thru Newark airport in 45 minutes. If you are going thru Miami or Atlanta, you just have to have enough time for the gate changes coming in internationl and going out domestic. I can only say I didn't enjoy going thru Miami. I hope that helps some.
    I know you will have a great time in Aruba, no matter how you get there. LOL
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Run262 View Post
    Hey "Love Aruba"...I'm in Houston too and I'm in the process of planning a mid Oct. trip to Aruba. Unfortunately, my schedule won't allow to get on the Sat. non-stop flight. I'm traveling mid-week returning on a Sun.

Last time we went, we took the AA route through Miami, this year I'm looking at doing the same but also looking at the Delta route through Atlanta. Any opinions on either?

Thanks.

Our experiences changing planes in Miami haven't gone well either. Now we stick to non-stop to avoid all the headaches.

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    My in-laws go thru Miami and have either missed their flight or had a really long layover - no happy medium. But they use their frequent flyer miles so it's free for them, they don't complain.

Huh. Interesting to hear others had such a difficult time going through Miami on AA - I guess it depends on the layover time between flights. I know that when we came from Houston, the layover time was 2.5 hours (and still is) - plenty of time to get off, navigate through that crazy Miami airport, find a starbucks with time to spare to wait on the flight. It was quiet boring with the waiting time. Yes, the Miami airport leaves LOTS to be desired.

I know that the Delta layover time scares me a little. Coming from Houston to Atlanta and then on to Aruba, the layover time in Atlanta is 40 minutes. That's a little to close for comfort for me.

Looks like my only option would be to do the AA through Miami, again. Yes, I know Continental can be done through Newark, but the travel time from Houston is more than a day - something I definitely don't want.

I love reading others input and hearing about experiences.

Can you not take the direct flight to Aruba from Houston. Maybe your schedule doesn't allow that, I just wish Continental would have more direct flights there, but I REALLY hope that with the merger they don't cut the one out. Like I said, we just have to see. You never know, the merger may never happen, from what I have read, the stockholders aren't too happy. But I don't know that that has ever stopped a merger before!?
    Anyway, enjoy Aruba, and your trip to and from Aruba.
    Pat

As much as I want to take the direct flight to Aruba on Continental - I just can't make it work with my schedule. I have a 7 yr old who I'm NOT taking and who will be staying at home with family - need an adult vacation. A Sat. to Sat. trip is just too long for me to be gone from her. When she gets older, I'll either take her or she be able to handle me being gone for longer. I'm a single mom, so it makes it a little harder on her when I'm gone for long periods; we're very close to say the least. She stays with her Dad when I'm gone, which is fine, but it's not her mom. Anyway...

Usually a "leave on Tues. return on Sun." works out just fine. Anyway...I do wish Continental has more non-stop flights to Aruba out of IAH.

As for the merger - we'll see what happens.

Did my first connection thru MIA via AA. Scheduled way too much time between flights, 3 hr in any airport is boring. An additional 1 hr delay made it worse. Lucky arrival and departure were in the same terminal, just a short walk. Being a smoker, we need our "fix", usually having to exit outside, then do the security screening again to get back in. Discovered a 'bonus' at MIA. If you're in Concourse D, snoop around Gate D-35, off by the elevator. There is a smoking area, outside, between the buildings. You don't have to leave the secure zone. That was handy. Thanks AA, or MIA, or whoever put it there.