Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Connection time

Angry Connection time

Chadd,
    Why do the airlines allow 45 minutes as an allowable connection time? This is not really a reasonable amount of time to make a connection in the winter, generally speaking. They bring on some of the problems themselves by allowing such a short connection time.

I am doing this in March only because I won't be traveling with checked luggage and that was my only choice. When offered this option I always decline it as its like playing Russian Roulette in the winter.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Chadd,
    Why do the airlines allow 45 minutes as an allowable connection time? This is not really a reasonable amount of time to make a connection in the winter, generally speaking. They bring on some of the problems themselves by allowing such a short connection time.
    Because a lot of people want to book the shortest possible connection times. There are a large number of passengers, often business travelers, that view connection time as wasted time. If an airline made them wait 60-90 minutes between flights, they would choose another airline. Business travel is a different animal than a vacation to somewhere with as little (relatively) service as Aruba. There is always another flight to NY or LA, but there isn't always another flight that day to Aruba.

I believe the minimum "legal" connection in Charlotte is 30 minutes.

Just so people know, I'm not defending US Airways or any other airline. I'm just trying to pull back the curtain a bit to help explain why some of these things happen. There is no excuse for poor customer service in a customer service industry.

I'm a little nervous that we only have 65 minutes in Miami - not a lot of wiggle room there, but it was that or not get to Aruba till 11pm. I wasn't willing to give up a whole day. I am really hoping that since it's an early flight to Miami we are okay.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    providing your connecting flight is on time.........65 minutes is sufficient.the miami airport is relatively easy to maneuver about.
    there is a "shuttle/train" that will take you from terminal to terminal.
    there are 4 stops total.

as AA frequent flyers we have been using miami as the connection for 15 yrs or so. the airport is large and congested but runs like a well oiled machine.

on our most recent aruba trip, we connected and were seated on our plane from mia to aua.
    the flight attendants kept the door open for quite a while after the last of the people boarded.

then......after about 15 minutes, 6 or 7 more people ran onboard.
    the plane was held for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I'm a little nervous that we only have 65 minutes in Miami - not a lot of wiggle room there, but it was that or not get to Aruba till 11pm. I wasn't willing to give up a whole day. I am really hoping that since it's an early flight to Miami we are okay.

We just had an issue from Detroit to Charlotte.
    Missed connection....blah, blah, blah. We tried not to let it ruin our holiday in our favourite place; but we'll be dealing with it now that we're back home!

We have connecting flights for the first time. We have 35 minutes to make our next flight in Philly. We called US Air and they told us that we have plenty of time to make it and that they wouldn't book connecting flights that close if there wasn't enough time. Does anyone know the Philly airport and what are your thoughts????

We had a connection with US Air in Philly coming home from Vegas once and the gates were very close to each other. It was a short connection time, just enough time to use the restroom and grab a soda. We didn't have any problems. Of course it all depends on your first flight being on time.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    safe and fun travels tracy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We had a connection with US Air in Philly coming home from Vegas once and the gates were very close to each other. It was a short connection time, just enough time to use the restroom and grab a soda. We didn't have any problems. Of course it all depends on your first flight being on time.

Quote Originally Posted by ltdpt View Post
    We have connecting flights for the first time. We have 35 minutes to make our next flight in Philly. We called US Air and they told us that we have plenty of time to make it and that they wouldn't book connecting flights that close if there wasn't enough time. Does anyone know the Philly airport and what are your thoughts????
    Just remember, some of the people answering the phones have never actually been in the airports. If you are coming into the F terminal, you will have to hustle to get to the flight to Aruba. What is your flight number into Philly?

Quote Originally Posted by ltdpt View Post
    We have connecting flights for the first time. We have 35 minutes to make our next flight in Philly.
    YIKES! That is tight. I would definitely familiarize yourself with a map of the airport so you know which way to run when your flight lands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast