Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Continental out of Newark

Continental out of Newark

My DS is traveling on Friday Dec. 17th from Newark to Aruba on Continental airlines. This is the first time that we have used this airline. His flight leaves at 9am. How early should he arrive? The website says that at this time of year plus this is the busy time of the day for travel, that you need 3 hours.

Would you say that you should be there 3 hours in advance?

Thanks!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    we always fly out of newark on continental and we usually fly in december and we always take that approximate time. the busiest day to fly out of newark is tuesday or wednesday mornings because those are the cheapest flights (we found out by accident). I would say if you were there by 7:00 to 7:15, you'll more than likely have enough time to either have breakfast OR be able to buy yourself something to bring on the plane to eat & drink. you're still a week away from the holiday so most people visiting relatives aren't going to travel a whole week before the holiday. the tuesday or wednesday (21st & 22nd) would probably be the worse. two hours is sufficient, I've NEVER had more than that to wait. I travel in june and my husband & I do december. never needed more than 2 hours.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    also, we are going dec 1st and will be back before your son leaves. i can always let you know. even once we got to the terminal at 7:15 (our flight was 8:45), walked in and the line for security was all around the ropes and down the hall. we got through security, went by our terminal, got bagels and water for the flight, waited 15 minutes until they let us board, which was about half an hour before the flight leaves. that was the longest I've ever gone through security. that was when we found out from people in line that leaving on a tuesday or wednesday was like that because those are the cheapest flights. we had always flown on a friday or a sunday, never before on a tuesday. now this year we are flying on a wednesday with continental out of newark for the 9 am flight. we will leave our house at 7 and be at the airport at 7:15. we don't check luggage, only carry on, so i don't know if that makes a difference. you might want to take that into consideration, i can't answer that. but that is our timing plan which is what we always do.....

I haven't been to Newark since they started the new pat down procedure but it seems to be taking longer to process passengers in the airports I have been in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    I haven't been to Newark since they started the new pat down procedure but it seems to be taking longer to process passengers in the airports I have been in.
    Just thinking out loud here ...
    with the newest terror threat(s)...
    Are security procedures going to be more thorough and thus MORE time consuming between now and the holidays?

haven't thought of that. the good thing about the terminal c at newark is that it is strictly continental flights, no other airlines fly out of there, at least for now. i still don't think you need 3 hours, that's a bit much. they move pretty fast at that terminal. i can't answer for any of the others since i only fly continental. and like i said, they have the whole terminal to themselves. to be safe, be there for 2 1/2 hours. usually when we get there at 7, its pretty empty so even if we a pat down or screening, there's still not alot of people. i fly into and out of vegas at least 2 to 3 times a year. now that is a long line through security. there has to be at least 300 people in line. and that moves even faster than newark, lol. its like a diner, get them in and get them out. lol...

if you feel more comfortable, use the 3 hours. now i will listen to you guys about coming home from aruba on a saturday and give myself 3 hours. i should never have booked for a saturday, i should have listened to my husband and come home on a monday or tuesday from aruba. too late now. but i will make sure its 3 hours from there.

If you are checking bags for the Newark-Aruba flight I would leave plenty of time. There is always a wait while checking in for the Caribbean flights, even if you have Elite status. my DW always forces me to get there early and avoid any stress on our 1st day of vacation. Always better to have some extra time and have breakfast in terminal C that be strssed on a check-in and security line-escpecially since Continental doesn't give you free food anymore. 2 1/2 hours sounds like the least I would leave.

randi, go to this at continental and it can pretty much tell you.

https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...virtual_expert

it gives the different airports, different times you fly, different days of the week, both domestic & international. I always say be safe rather than sorry. if it would be less stressful as jeff says, do the 3 hours. my husband would never go to the airport that far in advance, lol. we usually have about an hour wait once we go through security. but i am DEFINITELY listening to the people on this forum about flying home from Aruba and we are going to be at the airport 3 hours ahead of departure.....

Thanks everyone. Me and my youngest DS travel the same, like to get to the airport early. We would rather wait inside the security but not feel stressed then have that pressure of time.

On the other hand, DH will leave to the airport at the last possible minute as will my other two DS!! However, they all recognize that IN ARUBA we need the three hours to get through everything during the busy season.

As far as Newark/Continental, all your comments were helpful. I think I will tell him he needs 3 hours and if he has a little less time (as he will think I am ridiculous) than he still should be fine.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Just thinking out loud here ...
    with the newest terror threat(s)...
    Are security procedures going to be more thorough and thus MORE time consuming between now and the holidays?
    No idea, today there was no grope and grab (at my home airport) after the metal detector and they were not using the body scanner. It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast