Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Customs

  1. #1
    Junior Member MrsDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    23

    Customs

    Can someone explain to me how customs actually works ?
    Since I have never been on an international flight.....
    How does it work leaving the US ? And returning to the US ?

    I am flying out of Buffalo NY with a connection to JFK and onto Aruba.
    ( so from what I understand I do inbound Customs when we land in Aruba )

    I dont understand the flying home part, we leave Aruba on a Sunday and Fly into Logan airport in Boston and then back to Buffalo.
    So when do you do Customs ? Aruba before you leave ? Boston ? Both ?
    Thanks !

  2. #2
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDH View Post
    what I understand I do inbound Customs when we land in Aruba


    It is really just Customs officers who randomly pull folks aside to question them on the contents of their luggage. In 19 trips we have never spoken to an Aruba Customs officer.

    You will go through Aruba Customs after picking up your luggage at the carousel in Aruba.

    You will go through US Customs and Immigration in Aruba at the airport.

    People often ask why it is suggested that you arrive at the airport three full hours prior to your flight's departure from Aruba. You need time to clear not only security, but U.S. Customs & US Immigration as well. Through in some time for duty free shopping and additional security, and well, you get the idea.
    The good news is that you will only go through U.S. Customs & US Immigration at the airport in Aruba. When your flight arrives in the U.S. you will be deplaning just as you would from any domestic flight in the U.S.

    Here is a map of the Airport in Aruba.




    The Procedure You Will Go Through Is As Follows:
    • Check in with your airline
    • Enter the main building and go through Aruban immigration
    • Go through Aruba Security/xray checkpoint
    • Duty free shopping
    • Retrieve you luggage to pack duty free purchases
    • Take your luggage and go through US Immigration
    • Place your luggage back onto the conveyor belt to be placed on the plane
    • Go through second security/xray checkpoint (see map)
    Once you have gone through US Customs and Immigrations you are for all purposes, back in the U.S. though yeah you are technically still in Aruba.

    I dont understand the flying home part, we leave Aruba on a Sunday and Fly into Logan airport in Boston and then back to Buffalo.
    So when do you do Customs ? Aruba before you leave ? Boston ? Both ?
    Thanks !

    When you get off the plane in the U.S. whether it is a connecting flight or not, you will be treated in the U.S. as an ordinary domestic flying passenger who is not involved with immigrations or customs.

    In other words when you step off the plane in Boston, it will be no different than say, flying Florida to Boston.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 04-26-2010 at 06:48 PM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member MrsDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    23
    Thanks for the AWESOME explanation ! I am going to print that up and carry it with me in the airport !!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member sunscreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    127
    That's why we love this forum - great and timely responses.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by sunscreen View Post
    That's why we love this forum - great and timely responses.

  6. #6
    Senior Member sunnysmiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post


    The Procedure You Will Go Through Is As Follows:
    • Check in with your airline
    • Enter the main building and go through Aruban immigration
    • Go through Aruba Security/xray checkpoint
    • Duty free shopping
    • Retrieve you luggage to pack duty free purchases
    • Take your luggage and go through US Immigration
    • Place your luggage back onto the conveyor belt to be placed on the plane
    • Go through second security/xray checkpoint (see map)
    There were signs all over that we weren't supposed to open our luggage after it went thru Aruba security/prior to US immigration. I didn't understand why we couldn't if we had been thru security ourselves?! All I wanted to do was get a pen out of my suitcase but we were told we couldn't.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Shnyda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The pool @ Gold Coast Aruba, Holiday Inn Casino, Arashi Beach, Sunset @ California Lighthouse, Baby Beach, Our friends hotels/timeshares when they are on the Island at the same time as us
    Age
    39
    Posts
    978
    There is duty free shopping after you pass through US Customs in the AUA airport. The whole thing never made any sense to me.

    The guys at AUA security told me once I had to dump out all my liquor - and kept a straight face for about a minute as I got infuriated - until they told me they were just joking. Bunch of characters!
    -Eric, Karen and Mia-
    Aruba New Years 2017-18 12/28/17 - 1/3/18 (18th Trip)


  8. #8
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,923
    i am confused.
    the duty free shops are before us customs at queen beatrix airport.
    one carries their duty free purchases thru us customs.
    upstairs, at the gates are small little kiosk vendors that sell souvenir stuff, nothing there that us customs would be interested in.

    or did i miss something?


    Quote Originally Posted by Shnyda View Post
    There is duty free shopping after you pass through US Customs in the AUA airport. The whole thing never made any sense to me.

    The guys at AUA security told me once I had to dump out all my liquor - and kept a straight face for about a minute as I got infuriated - until they told me they were just joking. Bunch of characters!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Chadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arikok Antilla Natural pool
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnyda View Post
    There is duty free shopping after you pass through US Customs in the AUA airport. The whole thing never made any sense to me.
    Hush, too many of my friends and family expect me to bring back a bottle of rum.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Shnyda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The pool @ Gold Coast Aruba, Holiday Inn Casino, Arashi Beach, Sunset @ California Lighthouse, Baby Beach, Our friends hotels/timeshares when they are on the Island at the same time as us
    Age
    39
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i am confused.
    the duty free shops are before us customs at queen beatrix airport.
    one carries their duty free purchases thru us customs.
    upstairs, at the gates are small little kiosk vendors that sell souvenir stuff, nothing there that us customs would be interested in.

    or did i miss something?


    Where we fly out of, I forget which Gate. Where Continental takes off from. There are DEFINITELY duty free stores. Liquor, cigs, perfume. I was depressed the last time because the main duty frees were open before customs, and the ones by the gate were closed. The smaller ones opened up just before our plane took off.
    -Eric, Karen and Mia-
    Aruba New Years 2017-18 12/28/17 - 1/3/18 (18th Trip)


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO