Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Customs

Aruba since 1979
    i never noticed those duty free places at the continental gate area. how do they get away with that?

we typically fly american and the gate we use is always at the far end across from the bathroom (is that gate 8? up the escalator, turn right and go all the way to the end)

Quote Originally Posted by Shnyda View Post
    Where we fly out of, I forget which Gate. Where Continental takes off from. There are DEFINITELY duty free stores. Liquor, cigs, perfume. I was depressed the last time because the main duty frees were open before customs, and the ones by the gate were closed. The smaller ones opened up just before our plane took off.

Yes we saw those duty free shops by the gates, too. I think it was around gate 5 or 6 because our flight was at gate 4 and we walked past them. They were open, but they didn't have as much stuff as the shops in the main shopping area before US Customs.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i never noticed those duty free places at the continental gate area. how do they get away with that?
    Just tell them it's a direct flight and pack away your extra refreshments in your carry on bag. You've already cleared customs, so there is no need to declare the new purchases.

We just noticed the additional shops opening upstairs for duty free, before they had perfume but last year they included limited additional liquor and cigarettes etc... be careful they were actually cheaper for some items upstairs however may be chancy if they are not open when you get up there, or have what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Divibound View Post
    We just noticed the additional shops opening upstairs for duty free, before they had perfume but last year they included limited additional liquor and cigarettes etc... be careful they were actually cheaper for some items upstairs however may be chancy if they are not open when you get up there, or have what you want.
    The Palmera rum was slightly more expensive at the gates than it was downstairs.

One benefit to having US customs in Aruba - My son was returning from Mexico, and his flight was delayed about an hour. He still had an hour and 15 mins to get through cutoms in Charlotte, but the lines were huge. Finally got through customs, but then found the security line was also huge. He 'was' scheduled to be on the last flight for the night, but he didn't make it through security in time. He had to spend the night and take the first flight out the next morning.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Quote Originally Posted by corona View Post
    One benefit to having US customs in Aruba - My son was returning from Mexico, and his flight was delayed about an hour. He still had an hour and 15 mins to get through cutoms in Charlotte, but the lines were huge. Finally got through customs, but then found the security line was also huge. He 'was' scheduled to be on the last flight for the night, but he didn't make it through security in time. He had to spend the night and take the first flight out the next morning.
    Very good reminder to all of us that though we dislike some of the long lines in Aruba, things could be much much worse, having to go through the same procedures once back in the states.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12