Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delta connection in Atlanta Hartsfield

Delta connection in Atlanta Hartsfield

Hi, We have a Delta connection flight at Hartsfield. From what I can gather Delta uses concourses A,B,C,D and E. (south) Concourse E seems to be for International departures. My question is if we arrive to concourse A and have to get to concourse E (worst case scenario) how long does it take? I heard from concourse A to concourse E is a distance of about a mile. Is that true? I read there is a train or tram underground that will take you to the different concourses and that would be the fastest way to go. Just wondering approx. how many minutes it takes to get from A to E. (we don't have much time to waste unfortunately) Also is it well marked for us to find the tram once we exit the plane?
    Thanks in advance for any help or tips you can give me about Hartsfield. We have never been there so I'm sure you can understand my concern.

Kicking back and relaxing for two weeks, on the beach.. Jewelry Shopping and the Alhambra...........
    Have No Idea, but it sounds awful Ive heard that Atlanta is not the place to fly into, so i booked through someone else..

Quote Originally Posted by BostonLager View Post
    Hi, We have a Delta connection flight at Hartsfield. From what I can gather Delta uses concourses A,B,C,D and E.
    All Delta flights are on the south concourse.
    We fly only Delta and only out of Atlanta.
    I cannot remember the last time we flew a Delta flight to anywhere out of anywhere but A or B.
    T gates we will fly out of if on an Embraer or Canadair Jet on domestic travel.
    Our Aruba flights usually depart from B Gates.

We have not flown into E terminal since US Customs opened in Aruba.
    E is the international terminal in that there is where US customs is located.
    Again in 10 or 11 trips out of ATL, have never departed from E terminal.

I heard from concourse A to concourse E is a distance of about a mile. Is that true?
    Probably about right. Not an issue. See below.

I read there is a train or tram underground that will take you to the different concourses and that would be the fastest way to go. Just wondering approx. how many minutes it takes to get from A to E. (we don't have much time to waste unfortunately)
    It is comparable to a subway, well marked and runs from the south concourse all the way to E terminal. Very efficient and runs every couple of minutes and would take maybe a minute or two between each terminal.

Also is it well marked for us to find the tram once we exit the plane?
    Absolutely.

any help or tips you can give me about Hartsfield
    There are a good number of choices for eateries, including take out. If you have time, eat before your flight or pick up something for the flight, including a drink for the road or to carry on with you.

On our flight in June they only came through with the beverage cart once followed up by only a second run with coffee on the way down and glasses of water on the way back.

We've connected through Atlanta alot over the years when we've used Delta to Aruba. We usually have about a one hour connection time on the way down and we've had plenty of time getting to our gate via the trams. Everything is marked really well so you shouldn't have any problems. Never have time to eat though unless we were to buy something and bring it on the plane.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

Just looked at www.atlanta-airport.com and the flight tomorrow leaves from gate A27. That backs up what the others are saying.

I "think" Delta pretty much has it down to a science. When our flights northbound have been delayed, they will try to read the gates on the "PA" for connecting passengers so they can hit the ground running. If memory serves me correctly, Amy's dh was on one of those flights with us.

Have also been a little late departing ATL, when there has been bad weather elsewhere in order for the connecting passengers who are late coming in, make the flight to Aruba.

Thank you all for the very helpful replies. I really appreciate it.

If our plane is on time we have only 56 minutes to connect. If it's a little late we are really going to have an issue. We are crossing our fingers that the flight is close to on time or early. I've been tracking it on flightstats.com (pretty neat website) for the last month and the latest it's been is about 10 or 15 minutes. Lots of time it's been early.
    Thanks again. You all are so helpful here and provide such great information.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonLager View Post
    Thank you all for the very helpful replies. I really appreciate it.

If our plane is on time we have only 56 minutes to connect. If it's a little late we are really going to have an issue. We are crossing our fingers that the flight is close to on time or early. I've been tracking it on flightstats.com (pretty neat website) for the last month and the latest it's been is about 10 or 15 minutes. Lots of time it's been early.
    Thanks again. You all are so helpful here and provide such great information.
    As long as that's your flght going TO Aruba with the short connection time you should be fine - the earlier in the day the less chance of delays. We always have a short connection time on the way down (about an hour) and that's always been fine. But one year we had a short connection time going back (late in the day), and Lisa was right - my hubby was on her plane and barely made his connection (his luggage was delivered to our house the next day.) I had the exact same flight a few days after him and all was fine with mine. Delta has since made longer connection times for us coming home now (2 hours) and that gives us alot more breathing room.

I would suggest (just in case) packing a few essentials in your carry-on. I always pack a pair of shorts, a swimsuit, and a few other items in the event I don't see my luggage for a day. It's always best to be prepared and I'd hate to spend my first day in Aruba stuck in my Nike workout pants.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    I would suggest (just in case) packing a few essentials in your carry-on. I always pack a pair of shorts, a swimsuit, and a few other items in the event I don't see my luggage for a day.
    ALWAYS an EXCELLENT suggestion to travelers.
    We don't have to connect and try to do the same just to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    As long as that's your flght going TO Aruba with the short connection time you should be fine - the earlier in the day the less chance of delays. We always have a short connection time on the way down (about an hour) and that's always been fine. But one year we had a short connection time going back (late in the day), and Lisa was right - my hubby was on her plane and barely made his connection (his luggage was delivered to our house the next day.) I had the exact same flight a few days after him and all was fine with mine. Delta has since made longer connection times for us coming home now (2 hours) and that gives us alot more breathing room.

I would suggest (just in case) packing a few essentials in your carry-on. I always pack a pair of shorts, a swimsuit, and a few other items in the event I don't see my luggage for a day. It's always best to be prepared and I'd hate to spend my first day in Aruba stuck in my Nike workout pants.

Thank you and that's a great idea about packing those items in the carry on.

By the way I just got a reply from Delta by email that 60 minutes is Delta's minimum connection time. We are at 56 which does NOT meet the minimum time and they told me to call a specific number. I wonder if I might be able to get an earlier flight now for no penaly fee since it's their fault and not mine that the connection time does not meet the requirements. I'll try calling and see what they say.

This is what the email said specifically:

"As per Delta Procedures, a minimum connecting time of 60 minutes
    is needed between domestic and International connecting flights
    in Atlanta. Since your flight does not meet the required connecting time
    it will be necessary for you to contact our Reservation Sales Department at
    800-241-4141."

This whole dilemma was my fault to begin with. I don't know what
    I was thinking when I booked that flight. I guess I had a "brain fart" that day.
    Poor planning on my part. I'm sure it will work out somehow. The thing is though I believe originally it was 60 minutes but then Delta made a change in the flight. I think I need a drink!

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast