Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Delta - Luggage Fee

Delta's Baggage Policy Changed -- Taken Directly From Their Website

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/checked/previous_fees/index.jsp
    Previous Checked Bag Fees
    All baggage is subject to the published fees at the time of your ticket purchase. Therefore, if you purchased tickets prior to the effective date of our current baggage fee policy, the fees may differ. Check below for which fees might apply.

The following passengers are exempt from these fees:

BusinessElite®, First and Business Class passengers.
    SkyMiles Diamond, Platinum, Gold, and Silver Medallion® Members
    Active duty U.S. military members traveling on orders
    Passengers with a Full Y class Economy ticket

The following charges apply:
    Travel between United States (including U.S. Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico) or Canada and the Caribbean (excluding Dominican Republic, Guyana, and Haiti)
    Ticket Purchase Date: Ticketing before October 1, 2011 or travel before November 1, 2011
    Fees (Each Way): First bag free
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    Checked Baggage
    http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...cked/index.jsp

Travel within the United States and Canada and the Caribbean & Bermuda (excluding Dominican Republic, Guyana, & Haiti)
    Economy First Checked Bag: $25
    Economy Second Checked Bag: $40

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...jsp#medallions
    SkyMiles Medallion members and other exceptions
    All SkyMiles Medallion Members, SkyTeam® Elite & Elite Plus Members and Alaska MVP & MVP Gold Members will be able to check one additional bag over the standard cabin allowance for travel outside the United States and Canada and/or travel between the United States & Canada and select Caribbean destinations. This benefit is subject to the weight and size restrictions of your cabin of travel. Furthermore, the benefits listed below extend to up to 8 travel companions on the medallion's reservation for a total of 9 passengers.

Travel Region
    United States/Canada to/from Caribbean
    Diamond, Platinum, & Gold Medallion; SkyTeam® Elite Plus; Alaska Air MVP® Gold:
    Business Three Checked Bags: Free
    Economy Two Checked Bags: Free

Silver Medallion; SkyTeam Elite; & Alaska Air MVP
    BusinessElite, First, Business Three Checked Bags: Free
    Economy Two Checked Bags: Free

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...index.jsp#amex
    Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express Baggage Benefit
    SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers from American Express One Checked Bag Free
    *The benefit applies to up to 9 people traveling in the eligible member's reservation.

And yes, I think Delta's rules for fees for checked baggage are very hard to understand. I booked on the Delta website, round/trip from Atlanta to Aruba this January for flight this April and I called the Delta 800 number this morning to verify if I did or did not have to pay for checked baggage since I booked in 2012 and I was told that I do NOT have to pay a fee for checking my first bag. I do NOT have any special Delta credit cards, nor do I have anything other than a regular Delta Frequent Flyer Miles Card. The chart on their website shows the 4th one down, under the Economy heading which states: Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean- first bag FREE.
    Last edited by pgsoder; 04-12-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pgsoder View Post
    The chart on their website shows the 4th one down, under the Economy heading which states: Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean- first bag FREE.
    The 4th one down that you're looking at means if you're traveling BETWEEN those countries (no U.S. departure/arrival).

For U.S. departures with travel to/from the Caribbean, you need to be looking at the 2nd one down on the chart that shows the U.S. and Canada and the box next to it as Caribbean and Bermuda (first checked bag = $25.)

It's a confusing chart but you just need to look at the "BETWEEN" header at the top (helps a little anyway.)
    Last edited by ~Amy~®; 04-12-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    ~Amy~® - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    The 4th one down that you're looking at means if you're traveling BETWEEN those countries (no U.S. departure/arrival).
    see attachment

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    For U.S. departures with travel to/from the Caribbean, you need to be looking at the 2nd one down on the chart that shows the U.S. and Canada and the box next to it as Caribbean and Bermuda (first checked bag = $25.)
    see attached

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    And yes, I think Delta's rules for fees for checked baggage are very hard to understand. I booked on the Delta website, round/trip from Atlanta to Aruba this January for flight this April and I called the Delta 800 number this morning to verify if I did or did not have to pay for checked baggage since I booked in 2012 and I was told that I do NOT have to pay a fee for checking my first bag. I do NOT have any special Delta credit cards, nor do I have anything other than a regular Delta Frequent Flyer Miles Card. The chart on their website shows the 4th one down, under the Economy heading which states: Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean- first bag FREE.
    Did you buy a discounted fare ticket, a full fare ticket a business/first class ticket or use ff miles?

Bob, I bought a regular fare ticket directly from Delta's website. Used my Citi credit card. When I do the on line check in and print my boarding pass, I will then find out if I will have to pay a fee or not. Until then, I get conflickting answers from Delta 800 number and when I send them questions via email. No two answers are the same. So far it's 3 no and 2 yes.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course

Smile

Bob, I bought a regular fare ticket directly from Delta's website. Used my Citi credit card. When I do the on line check in and print my boarding pass, I will then find out if I will have to pay a fee or not. Until then, I get conflickting answers from Delta 800 number and when I send them questions via email. No two answers are the same. So far it's 3 no and 2 yes.
    frustrating isnt it. I know we purchased 2 ticks coach but have the Delta AMX card. Our first bag each is free but charged after that. Said I would be charged for first one without card. Th r just changed though so you may have bought your ticket before the rule change. If so you get first free.

p.s. You can get a Delta AMX card by going to deltas site and applying. No fee first year and we got 30 thousand ff points for signing up.
    Last edited by arubabob; 04-20-2012 at 01:56 AM.

IGUANNA JOES, FISHING CHARTERS, SHOPPING, BABY BEACH,BUGALOOS

Cool delta luggage fee

We just went in March and it did say on their web site that we had to pay for our first bag but we didn't have to pay....very confusing ....
    WAYNE+CYNDYANN

Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE View Post
    We just went in March and it did say on their web site that we had to pay for our first bag but we didn't have to pay....very confusing ....
    Expect the worst and hope for the best. If you are not charged it is just a bonus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast