Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The End of My Jet Blue Booking Strategy

Aruba since 1979
    exactly right about paying it off when the bill comes in.
    we know what we have per month that comes in and we know pretty much what the bills are, so the $3000+ bill has to be paid in full monthly.

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    The fee not so bad if you get free plane rides . And you need to be disciplined to pay it off as you go.

@ AUA 1989........ Yes, Southwest offers their version of a travel bank. Southwest does not apply a change fee to any of their tickets. This means that if you are already booked one flight to Aruba and you see a lower price for the same flight or a different SWA flight, you can simply change your earlier reservation and purchase a new flight at the better price. This transaction can be done on line and it is very easy to do (or you can call a Southwest agent for assistance). Any credits are applied to your original reservation number (for the flight you cancelled/changed) and you have a year to use the credit (you simply use that reservation number as a "promo code" the next time you purchase a flight and the credits are applied). I usually book my outbound and return flights on 2 different reservations in order to optimize my flexibility for making changes.
    With regards to baggage fees on Southwest, if you book with Southwest, you do not pay a baggage fee to/from Aruba (up to 2 bags free). However, if you made your reservation through AirTran...then I believe a baggage fee is charged (so always try to book on the Southwest site, if possible for your city of departure). Strange, since the 2 companies are one now, but they appear to still have 2 different booking systems with slightly different rules.

Just to chime in about fees: The Jet Blue AMEX card is $40/year, and I hope it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    The SWA cattle call is annoying indeed
    We typically fly SWA and everything goes on that
    Visa card ...groceries , gas, cable, cell, utilities, HOA monthly maintenance,
    health ins, life ins, auto ins. We accumulate about 3000 points a month. For our May
    trip the point cost was 13000 each plus tax. Then SWA gives us 6000 point on our anniversary date.

Previously we did the same with AA but no more!

There are many that love JB but I wonder how many will jump ship now that JB
    has new guidelines
    Hope this isn't too off topic, but Andrea, I was wondering why no more with AA(the exclamation point caught my eye)? We have the AA Advantage card but now that southwest is an option for us, I would consider switching.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    ..........we live in FLA and mostly fly using SWA (to New England and to Aruba from Orlando)
    Using AA is not a good option anymore for us.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiChris View Post
    Unfortunately, that's not the only change planned at Jet Blue (see link below). In 2015, Jet Blue will charge for 1st bag and begin to add more seats to its planes (= reduced leg room). This is sad to see because the travel bank, free bag, and extra leg room were the primary reasons my husband and I flew Jet Blue. We loved this service so much that we would drive 3hrs just to reach an airport that had Jet Blue service. The changes are very sad to see and JetBlue has lost the key attributes which used to differentiate the carrier from other airlines.
    http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2...age-fees/?_r=0#

We have now changed to Southwest to fly to Aruba. Southwest still has free bags and offers refunds/travel banks if airfare goes down after you purchase. So if you haven't searched in your area yet...be sure to check the Southwest options before you purchase your ticket with JetBlue.
    We too will not use JetBlue as our go to airline. We often paid more for a JetBlue flight because we liked the extra leg room, better service and free 1st bag. Now they are no better than any other airline and they will no longer get all of our business, usually 3-4 trips per year.

There Are NO Bag Fees at Jet Blue

Quote Originally Posted by ace2063 View Post
    Good to know that Jet Blue is going to start charging for 1st bag. I have to factor this into the price when I book my tickets for May. I'm still trying to get a timeshare exchange through interval..

Just got off the phone with Jet Blue. There is no change in the checked bag policy.

One checked bag less than 50 pounds - free
    One bag that fits in the overhead - free
    One personal bag that fits under the seat - free

I regret I didn't ask about the addition of more seats.

Good News! Thanks for sharing.

Jet Blue will be charging for bags in 2015 - but the program hasn't started yet. For more information, here is an article about the plans/changes that Jet Blue has released for 2015/2016. There are several other articles on-line reporting the same thing. All of these changes are following the change of Jet Blue's CEO last September.
    http://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/jetb...loses-legroom/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0J31UB20141119

http://time.com/money/3595360/jetblu...-legroom-hate/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12