Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EWR airfare

Unhappy EWR airfare

Hi, I need help! My mom got a timeshare for my husband and I for Nov 1-8 and the airfare through Continental from Newark is over 1000! Is there something special about that week that I don't know about..because other weeks are not that much money. Or am I looking too far in advance? I don't feel like spending 2 days flying, so I prefer a direct flight!
    Jet Blue flies from JFK direct, but they haven't even put those dates on sale yet. (Just up to 10-31). Can someone please advise me! I hate the airlines game!!
    Suzanne

ive always found aa to be cheaper than jetblue (at least when I have gone) you have to keep an eye on it, it can go up and down depending on the day!

The other thing you may want to consider - it is always more expensive to fly on the weekend. If you can extend your trip by a day or two on each end and find an inexpensive room in Aruba for those nights, you not only may be able to save money overall but you can stay longer in paradise!

Consider Quality Apartments, Buffams Tropical Haven, MVC Eagle Beach or try booking the extra nights through Priceline.

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you mean AA out of JFK instead of Jet Blue? I don't think either flys from EWR direct. I got 428 for Thurs-Thurs on CO and 788 for Sun-Thurs. I don't know what to do. I don't know why it's so high for that particular week.

Aruba since 1979
    try looking for your dates with jet blue AND american out of JFK

fares with american usually change on tuesdays, so looking at 12:01 am on a tuesday will give you very accurate and hopefully better pricing.

there is absolutely nothing special about that time period
    it is as low a season/pricing as you can get in aruba (oct 1 to 2 days before thanksgiving and then the weeks after thanksgiving right up to dec 22)

keep trying

husband and i got fares for jan 8 - 22 bos-jfk-aua for under $400 apiece which is a steal

what about USAIR to philly and then on to aruba?

imo you should be able to catch a r/t for around $500 or less per person

Quote Originally Posted by Suzalarry View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Do you mean AA out of JFK instead of Jet Blue? I don't think either flys from EWR direct. I got 428 for Thurs-Thurs on CO and 788 for Sun-Thurs. I don't know what to do. I don't know why it's so high for that particular week.

Aruba since 1979
    AA out of JFK $830.80 for the 2 of you
    (as of today)

leave jfk at 9 non stop to aruba

nonstop coming home at 2:40 pm

fare is $330 and something pp, plus tax
    grand total is
    $830.80 total for 2

you will hard pressed for continental or jet blue or usair to beat that

good luck
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Suzalarry View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    $830.80 total for 2
    Way to go Andrea! That will more than make up for the price of a car service to JFK. In the good old days living in NJ, we flew out of JFK once when we couldn't get a bargain on Air Aruba (miss them don't we?) and not really a big deal.

If you can wait...try to!! We own a t/s in November and every year I need 5+ tickets (last time is was 11). May is when they usually go on sale! We live at the Jersey Shore and have flown out of PHL 85% of our Aruba trips! Lately I've noticed that EWR is cheaper though! (they even did an article about me in the NY Times referring to how I travel the extra 1/2 hour to PHL due to big price difference) But that seems to be in the past!

Start keeping an eye out for the prices to go lower and lower for Fall/Winter travel during the month of May and could go into June! I know your eager but its worth the wait! The only suggestion I may have for buying them now is try to get a AA ticket and if the price goes down they will reimburse your credit card! All the other airlines will only issue you vouchers for future travel.

I've been doing this for 6 or 7 years now and its always works out! Do remember though that airfare has gone up consideribly due to gas prices so sometimes we can't go on past years!

Last trip we really lucked out!! $297.77 per person round trip! Year before 303.00 and so on! At this time in our little recession I would consider anything under 425.00/pp!

Good Luck!

I believe the reason it is so expensive that week is because of the NJEA convention. All NJ schools are closed for a four day weekend during this week every November for a Statewide Teacher Convention. I know alot of people take advantage of the time off from school for vacation.
    katherine

Trip #14 in

Quote Originally Posted by katherine View Post
    I know alot of people take advantage of the time off from school for vacation.
    Excellent point. I just looked and the Continental flight on the way down only has about 8 seats left in coach and going back to EWR, more than half of coach is sold out.

Unfortunately supply and demand.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 04-05-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast