Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: First Class Flyers

First Class Flyers

We are flying first class for our anniversary trip in Sept. I have never flown first class, so if anyone has any tips or info they can share that would be great. I understand that we have no checked baggage fees and free drinks, but that's about it. Are there any special perks with airport lines for first class? Just wondering if it will save us any time in the airport.

Thanks all!

Aruba since 1979
    sometimes there will be a meal.
    sometimes just snacks, but the snacks are better and more plentiful than in coach.
    pillows and blankets. (maybe even clean )
    warm damp towel/face cloth.
    priority boarding.
    priority check in
    free wifi?
    closet where garment bag can be hung.
    much more seating space.

Quote Originally Posted by brph26 View Post
    We are flying first class for our anniversary trip in Sept. I have never flown first class, so if anyone has any tips or info they can share that would be great. I understand that we have no checked baggage fees and free drinks, but that's about it. Are there any special perks with airport lines for first class? Just wondering if it will save us any time in the airport.

Thanks all!

Delta offers expedited baggage delivery. First class bags should be among the first ones out onto the luggage carousel.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    i can only answer for United and Newark Airport. There is a first class line at Newark Airport for security. We don't check luggage so can't answer that. You do board first, the seats are larger. If its more than a 2.5 hour flight, you get either breakfast, lunch or dinner, depending on time of day. If less than that, you do get some kind of food. All food & drink is free. You have a bathroom for just first class (not that its any different than the other bathrooms, just only a handful use it). You're suppose to get off the plane first, depends on flight attendants doing their job or not by making sure 1st class is off. Bottomline is you feel less like cattle and the seats are so much more comfortable. First class is NOT what it use to be but is far better than economy.

Thanks all!
    Which airline? All airlines are different.

With Delta I get breakfast from MSP-ATL and then lunch from ATL-AUA. All drinks are free. With Delta you get pre-flight drinks (USAir does not do this) so you can enjoy an adult beverage while the rest of the plane is still boarding plus they always have bottles of Dasani water at your seat before you even sit down. At our airport in Minneapolis we have a special security line for First Class - much shorter/faster. You get on the plane first and off first and bags are tagged priority so they are unloaded first.

Flew USAir first class a couple of times in the past year and was unimpressed. We mainly fly Delta and their first class is much better.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 04-04-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Pretty sure we are flying American Airlines...

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Pretty sure we are flying American Airlines...
    On American out of MIA you are actually flying business class which is no different from first on our other legs. There is a seperate line at the terminal to check in for business/first for AA. This gets you through the ticket line a lot faster, especially on weekends but then you get in the same security lines as everyone else. My flights had lunch and dinner last couple of trips going. Comming back we had breakfast and lunch(9am dep) We fly from Tul to DFW to MIA to AUA and back on AA so its a long day. We get meals, beverages, hot mixed nuts, warm towels to wash with, plenty of seat space and good service. I believe the first 3 checked bags are free per flyer. There was an AA business class lounge at the airport for several years but the last couple of trips it had been changed to a membership lounge of some sort. Wish it was still available.

We have been fortunate to fly first class every time to Aruba. As Andrea and others said, priority check in and boarding, also no charge for baggage (USAir allows 70 pounds per bag instead of 50, nice if you are taking snorkle gear and other stuff). Your bags are tagged priority so they are first off the plane The biggest treat, I think, is seat size, service and comfort. Our return flight is late and long, so we enjoy arriving a little more refreshed after the long day.

We usually fly USAir....better seats, usually lunch going down and supper coming home....do not think you get free wi-fi even on first class...you also have to remember, wi-fi is only while in US, so once you are in Caribbean waters there is no more wifi.....so, depending on where you are starting your journey from, it may not be worth paying for ....(I have used it on USAir and it is cheaper to buy it for more than one hour)
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Bucuti Beach Club, Natural Pool, Donkey Farm, Alto Vista Chapel
    I know for US Air in Aruba, we are usually 3rd or 4th in line to check in on the way home instead of 133rd or 134th. I'm Silver Preferred, so we get that even if we fly coach, but I would hate to wait in that line. Those folks do need to be there 3 hours ahead of time. They spend the first hour at the ticket counter. We are usually through in 5-10 minutes and usually less than an hour before we are at the gate. Sounds like it might be longer at US Customs this year from what I'm reading though. The free drinks are nice, as is the separate rest room. It's worth the expense for a special occasion or a very long trip in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast