Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First class upgrade on Delta

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    36

    First class upgrade on Delta

    Flying to aruba for our honeymoon on aug 9th from seattle to atlanta then aruba. Has anyone every upgraded to first class from coach at the airport for delta? If so how much was it? For those of you who travel to aruba in august, is that a busy time for the airlines? Are the planes normally full? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    I think the present price is $150 pp each way for the ATL - AUA leg, however there has to be space available. Not sure about your domestic leg.

    Depending upon Medallion status, SkyMiles members along with a companion are ugraded anywhere between 1 and 5 days before flying.

    You may want to weigh paying for an upgrade now vs. taking a chance at the gate, especially since you are flying such a long distance. If you can afford it now, for a honeymoon, imo it is a well worth while treat. Once you begin your life together there are so many other things to spend money on

    Forum member ~Amy~
    and her dh fly coast to coast and are Medallion members so hopefully she can give more insight.

  3. #3
    Senior Member ~Amy~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    I think the present price is $150 pp each way for the ATL - AUA leg, however there has to be space available. Not sure about your domestic leg.

    Depending upon Medallion status, SkyMiles members along with a companion are ugraded anywhere between 1 and 5 days before flying.

    You may want to weigh paying for an upgrade now vs. taking a chance at the gate, especially since you are flying such a long distance. If you can afford it now, for a honeymoon, imo it is a well worth while treat. Once you begin your life together there are so many other things to spend money on

    Forum member ~Amy~ and her dh fly coast to coast and are Medallion members so hopefully she can give more insight.
    Lisa's right - any available First Class seats on Delta (both on the domestic leg and the Aruba leg) will be offered to Delta's Medallion members (and their flying companions) as an automatic complimentary upgrade between 1-5 days prior to the flight. If you really want to fly First Class, your best bet is to purchase it now.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018




  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2
    Gate upgrades for non-medallions are restricted by fare class. You need to be a K+ ticket.

    Gate upgrades occur after all Medallions and their companions clear. Upgrades to the Caribbean are pretty easy for Medallions compared to other domestic flights as there is not much business traffic.

    I noticed the fare difference between coach and first isn't that much so it is probably better to just buy the first class ticket.

    I'm Diamond on DL so if have any questions, feel free to ask.

  5. #5
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,943
    welcome to the forum dknn79
    Quote Originally Posted by dknn79 View Post
    Gate upgrades for non-medallions are restricted by fare class. You need to be a K+ ticket.

    Gate upgrades occur after all Medallions and their companions clear. Upgrades to the Caribbean are pretty easy for Medallions compared to other domestic flights as there is not much business traffic.

    I noticed the fare difference between coach and first isn't that much so it is probably better to just buy the first class ticket.

    I'm Diamond on DL so if have any questions, feel free to ask.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    36
    Thanks for the insight guys/gals. The problem is that an up grade right now would cost us $800. I called Delta and they said its $200 per person per leg of the flight. But we have to pay for both legs. Seattle to Atlanta being one and Atlanta to Aruba being the other. They said because because we bought the flights together we have to pay for the whole first half or we can't do it. Bummer for us I guess. Oh well I guess we will just cross our fingers.

  7. #7
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,943
    please try again and this time ask to speak with a supervisor.
    pls explain your predicament, ask the person to be "your hero and to please help you out"

    sometimes/oftentimes, the folks in reservations are either too busy, or incapable of the task, or just do not want to be bothered, and maybe it is impossible, but ask again, they might be able to help.

    good luck

    Quote Originally Posted by mbstiefel View Post
    Thanks for the insight guys/gals. The problem is that an up grade right now would cost us $800. I called Delta and they said its $200 per person per leg of the flight. But we have to pay for both legs. Seattle to Atlanta being one and Atlanta to Aruba being the other. They said because because we bought the flights together we have to pay for the whole first half or we can't do it. Bummer for us I guess. Oh well I guess we will just cross our fingers.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Chadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arikok Antilla Natural pool
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    please try again and this time ask to speak with a supervisor.
    pls explain your predicament, ask the person to be "your hero and to please help you out"

    sometimes/oftentimes, the folks in reservations are either too busy, or incapable of the task, or just do not want to be bothered, and maybe it is impossible, but ask again, they might be able to help.

    good luck
    Handing out "free" upgrades will get someone fired more often than not. Your choices are to pay for it now or to be a top level FF for an airline if you want to upgrade close to the day of the flight. More often than not in my experience, the FF upgrades are gone within a couple hours of them becoming available.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ~Amy~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    Handing out "free" upgrades will get someone fired more often than not. Your choices are to pay for it now or to be a top level FF for an airline if you want to upgrade close to the day of the flight. More often than not in my experience, the FF upgrades are gone within a couple hours of them becoming available.
    True! My husband is Gold Medallion with Delta and there are times when even he doesn't get the free upgrade to First Class because they've already been taken by Platinum and up Medallion members (happens on occasion on domestic flights.) I'm a lowly Silver Medallion so my chances of getting the free upgrade are even less unless I'm flying with my husband.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018




  10. #10
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,943
    i was unaware anyone was talking about or requesting "free" upgrades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    Handing out "free" upgrades will get someone fired more often than not. Your choices are to pay for it now or to be a top level FF for an airline if you want to upgrade close to the day of the flight. More often than not in my experience, the FF upgrades are gone within a couple hours of them becoming available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO