Aruba Beach

Thread: Flight 1044 to Boston

Flight 1044 to Boston

For all of you who take AA flight 1044 make sure you call ahead or check on-line before heading to the airport. We got to the airport yesterday at 2:00pm for our 5:20 flight just to find out the flihgt was delayed until 6:45pm. They told us the flight from Dallas to Boston was delayed which made the Bos-Aua flight late. It happened the week before they said too. We could have had more beach/pool time had we known. Just a head's up.

Aruba since 1979
    same thing happended to us on the 30th
    we got to the airport at 1 pm for flight 1044
    and the flight was delayed til 6:15 or so

i should have called 1st or checked online.

andrea

It's always something. Two years in a row they blamed the air traffic control in Curacao. Lets see....draw a straight line (or, a great circle line if you prefer) between Aruba and Boston and what do you see....Water!

Give me another Balashi and let me into that cockpit...I'll take 'er up on time!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Aruba since 1979
    is there anyone on this forum that can explain to me about the air traffic control being in curacao?
    maybe someone will have some type of link or can find out why the air traffic for aruba is controlled from curacao.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    It's always something. Two years in a row they blamed the air traffic control in Curacao. Lets see....draw a straight line (or, a great circle line if you prefer) between Aruba and Boston and what do you see....Water!

Give me another Balashi and let me into that cockpit...I'll take 'er up on time!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    is there anyone on this forum that can explain to me about the air traffic control being in curacao?
    maybe someone will have some type of link or can find out why the air traffic for aruba is controlled from curacao.
    Arubalisa.... Andrea J is calling!

If you know the inbound flight number you can use this site to see if/when the airplane left.
    www.flightaware.com

Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    For all of you who take AA flight 1044 make sure you call ahead or check on-line before heading to the airport. We got to the airport yesterday at 2:00pm for our 5:20 flight just to find out the flihgt was delayed until 6:45pm. They told us the flight from Dallas to Boston was delayed which made the Bos-Aua flight late. It happened the week before they said too. We could have had more beach/pool time had we known. Just a head's up.
    Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be on that flight coming home on Friday, February 13th!

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I’m heading to Aruba next week and have found these forums to be an extremely valuable resource, many thanks to all who contribute. That said, I’m glad that I can at least give a little something back by answering Andrea J’s question.

Reina Beatrix International airport (AUA) has a small control zone that covers a radius of 25 nautical miles (almost 29 statute miles) around the airport and from the surface up to flight level 65 (6500 feet). This means that any aircraft flying at or below 6500 feet within 25 nautical miles is within the control zone of AUA.

Any aircraft that is farther than 25 nautical miles from Aruba or flying within 25 nautical miles of Aruba but at an altitude of more than 6500 feet falls under the control of Curacao’s flight information region.

So basically, the folks in Aruba control a very limited amount of airspace around their island, and before a flight takes off they need to get clearance from Curacao to start a plane on a trajectory that will inevitably put the plane in Curacao controlled airspace, since Curacao controls all flights in and out of the region.

Why does Curacao control all the traffic in and out of the region? Someone has to do it. Once a flight leaves the relatively small airspace controlled by an airport someone needs to monitor the aircraft and make sure it isn’t going to collide with any other aircraft coming or going within the region. These air traffic controllers (ATCs) are separate from the ATCs at Curacao’s airport and have a completely different set of responsibilities, the same way the ATCs at Boston Center control the regional air traffic and are separate from the ATCs at Boston’s Logan International who control the landings and takeoffs at BOS.
    Last edited by datwaymon; 02-23-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    thank you!!!
    great information
    and welcome to the forum.
    andrea

quote=datwaymon;125173]Hi everyone, these is my first post. Iím heading to Aruba next week and have found these forums to be an extremely valuable resource, many thanks to all who contribute. That said, Iím glad that I can at least give a little something back by answering Andrea Jís question.

Reina Beatrix International airport (AUA) has a small control zone that covers a radius of 25 nautical miles (almost 29 statute miles) around the airport and from the surface up to flight level 65 (6500 feet). This means that any aircraft flying at or below 6500 feet within 25 nautical miles is within the control zone of AUA.

Any aircraft that is farther than 25 nautical miles from Aruba or flying within 25 nautical miles of Aruba but at an altitude of more than 6500 feet falls under the control of Curacaoís flight information region.

So basically, the folks in Aruba control a very limited amount of airspace around their island, and before a flight takes off they need to get clearance from Curacao to start a plane on a trajectory that will inevitably put the plane in Curacao controlled airspace, since Curacao controls all flights in and out of the region.

Why does Curacao control all the traffic in and out of the region? Someone has to do it. Once a flight leaves the relatively small airspace controlled by an airport someone needs to monitor the aircraft and make sure it isnít going to collide with any other aircraft coming or going within the region. These air traffic controllers (ATCs) are separate from the ATCs at Curacaoís airport and have a completely different set of responsibilities, the same way the ATCs at Boston Center control the regional air traffic and are separate from the ATCs at Bostonís Logan International who control the landings and takeoffs at BOS.[/quote]

datwaymon

Very informative...thanks.