14 48.28%
  • flight attendants not awesome

7 24.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: flight attendants

Aruba since 1979

flight attendants

re: Flight attendants.
    any notice of late, flight attendants being a little less "attending" or being not so "friendly" ?
    wondering if the uncertainty/financial woes of the airlines and the economy and the crankiness of passengers has caused the flight atttendants to be "not so wonderful" lately?
    we fly only 7 or 8 times a year, which is probably not lots compared to many.
    but the last few flights using USAIR, JetBlue and Delta, every flight attendant was on edge, overworked, probably underpaid and not so wonderful.
    it certainly is not a great job, long hours, tremendous responsibility and probably not wonderful pay.
    comments?
    concerns?
    experiences?

Have to say when we lived in Jersey and were "tied" to Continental, their attendants were always grumpy and mean.

Now that we are "tied" to Delta, we find their attendants much better. I would not say that their service is exceptional, you have to be a first class passenger to even possibly come close to that standard and rightly so, but I would say we have never had any problems with attendants.

Boca Catalina Beach Marriott properties Mangel Halto for Snorkeling

Jet Blue and Southwest have the best

I think the two airlines with the best FAs are Southwest and then Jet Blue. Our best Aruba option is Jet Blue and the pilots and FAs actually seem to care.

Ooops...I just checked the first two options by mistake.

What I wanted to check was that "I fly more than 5 times a year" but I didn't want to check either of the flight attendant options since my experiences with flight attendants every year are such a mixed bag ranging from awesome, to indifferent, to cranky - and everywhere in between. And, for me, it doesn't seem to matter which airline....seems like each airline has a few good apples, a few bad ones, and some in the middle.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    ...seems like each airline has a few good apples, a few bad ones, and some in the middle.
    Just like any other employee in any other job, you're going to have some from each of those categories. That said, it is very difficult to provide excellent and friendly service given the number of passengers that feel that Federal Aviation Regulations don't apply to them. The truth is that the quality of service is often dictated by the other people on your flight. Good people will result in good service and a good flight.

I have flown with JetBlue and that company definetly strives for really good customer service. I never had a problem with them before but I will be flying in June with them so I will let you know if I see any changes.

But everyone is entitled to a bad day or two . With this economy I don't blame them.

It is funny that this is a topic since we just flew down to Aruba on Continental out or Newark on the 16th. For some reason the attendants were not friendly at all and one woman was downright rude! I commented to my husband when we arrived that i did not ever remember having such horrible flight attendants before. They were better on our return flight - not super friendly, but not cranky.
    katherine

Trip #14 in

Well, I've remarked on various airlines service several times. Thus, at the risk of overstating the case, I post the following:

One of the reasons I left USAir was the lack of courtesy extended by cabin staff. This occurred two trips in a row to Aruba and another time going to Spain. On the flight to Spain, while seated in business class, I was told to serve myself at the drink cart. Sorry, wrong answer and especially when this person promptly took a seat to read a magazine. Similar experience on the Aruba journeys over different issues. Perhaps self service was USAir's policy. I don't know, and frankly, don't really care.

I voted with my feet and went exclusive to American Airlines. The cabin crews there have yet to miss a trick. Originally on the PHL to Puerto Rico run I got to know them and a drink was always at hand as were many other small comforts. They treated everyone this way. Then I switched to the PHL to MIA route and can only say more good things. They treat Mrs. 44 especially well, keeping her topped up with Bailey's, which she requires in liberal amounts to tolerate me. On trips as far west as Hawaii (which is almost east again) cabin staff have been nothing less than outstanding.

This may be against the grain, but the bottom line is the bottom line and it is simply too cheap to fly. Of course, no one wants to pay more than they have to. However, the airlines basically make no money. Hence, the race to be the cheapest has led to barebones service, underpaid staff, and resulting overcapacity caused delays. There are too many cheap seats in the air clogging up the works. Even Southwest is having their share of struggles now that their planes are aging, cheap fuel options are expiring, and crew costs are rising into the same zone as the older brands.

What caused this? A consumer bent on nothing but the lowest price. Example 1: A pal of mine once bought 4 round trip tickets to Aruba for an average price of $258, including the fees this was 2005. Example 2: In 2008, another pal bought a round trip from BOS to AUA for $328. It is impossible to fly a seat on a 757 from PHL to AUA for that amount of money, ditto BOS to AUA. Even if they average up the other seats, it is a loser. And losses do not create a functional business model to use the jargon of the news wonks. Something has to give and this takes the form of degraded service in one area or another. Therefore, most major airlines are effectively bankrupt, running on empty with the support of the likes of GE who finances the engines they supply, Boeing who does the same at times for the planes, and sometimes the government which subsidizes the construction and operation of airports. A follow up to Examples 1 and 2: Despite the cheap price, my pals whine and complain about the lack of meal service and so on. I told them to shut up; they got what they paid for, i.e. a 16" wide bucket to squat on inside an aluminum tube. For that price you don't get a blankie or any chow.

Sexy new airlines crop up (think JetBlue) from time to time and brag about their on time schedules, good service, great features, and profitability. They rarely last for the reasons mentioned above about Southwest. A couple of MBA's talk their pals into putting up some billions to launch the airline, then ditch the stock on the way up the curve, leaving the rubes holding the bag when the bubble pops.

Bottom line (one more time): it's too cheap to fly. The real cost is passed on to others via serendipitous means that if spelled out in plain type on the front page of your local paper (if it still exists) would have you fuming. Or maybe not because of that sweet deal to Aruba.

Like any service business, I don't mind paying more when I can directly see the results. That's why I'm an generous tipper at restaurants. If only I could do the same for the people who safely and courteously deliver me back and forth between 35,000 feet and terra firma, I'd open my wallet, shake hands with all involved, and graciously thank them for doing a tough job with grace and style. Being a good customer is as much a part of the solution as anything else.

Wow, sorry for the dissertation. Just my $0.02, which may only be worth half that, perhaps less.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Very accurate assessment. I've been saying for years that it should cost more to get to Disneyland than it costs to get in. It's a race to the bottom fueled by customers looking to save every last cent, just like many other commercial enterprises here in the US. People complain about manufacturing jobs that move offshore, yet they're unwilling to pay 10% more to buy products that are made here.

Aruba since 1979
    love this posting by chadd
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    Very accurate assessment. I've been saying for years that it should cost more to get to Disneyland than it costs to get in. It's a race to the bottom fueled by customers looking to save every last cent, just like many other commercial enterprises here in the US. People complain about manufacturing jobs that move offshore, yet they're unwilling to pay 10% more to buy products that are made here.