Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting to Aruba from Vancouver, BC

Getting to Aruba from Vancouver, BC

Anyone from the Vancouver area been to/go regularly to Aruba? How do you fly?

My fiance and I would love to go to Aruba for our honeymoon next summer, but I'm seeing next to nothing in terms of getting there! Am I looking just way too far in advance? This would be for the last week of June/first week of July 2010.

Also, it's looking like it's double the price of leaving from other Canadian cities...yikes.

We love all-inclusives and love the RIU chain, but my god it's expensive in Aruba (plus, I haven't seen RIU offered as an option from Vancouver yet anyway).

Any advice or ideas? I'm open to staying at other places on Palm beach...

Thank you all!

Hello my fellow Canadian and congratulations:

Here are my suggestions on flights, first Air Canada is the most expensive way to fly to Aruba. Trust me, we do not live in Toronto so we have to fly to Toronto and then onto Aruba. Since we can not go direct, we looked elsewhere for flights and the price difference is unbelievable. This Xmas the flight differential between Air Canada and US Air was approx. $700! Check the US carriers and you may be surprised at what you will find.

Next topic... I would not recommend the Rui. If you check around this BB, it is highly discouraged to go to an all inclusive in Aruba. Way to many good restaurants in Aruba to be limited. Aruba is small and easy to get around. Its your honeymoon so splurge and get away from the AI. A suggestion would be to investigate a timeshare (which is a small apartment) and get your food (great grocery stores in Aruba) and look after your breakfasts, lunches and alcholol your self. Save the extra money for the fabulous restaurants.
    IMO, Rui isn't my favourite. Read up on it. If you want a hotel experience and your finances could accomodate it, go to the Hyatt. If not, consider the Radisson (next door to the Rui but a lot nicer) and take the package that includes breakfast only.

Let us know what airlines you find. Good luck!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Aruba since 1979
    with the respect to the all inclusive comment referring to this forum discouraging folks to go AI.
    i cannot more strongly disagree with that comment.
    this forum has many many folks that are quite happy with AI.
    this forum has folks that soley do AI, solely do not and some that stay at all inclusinve and dine out a few times at offf site restaurants.
    all inclusive is a fit for MANY.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post

Here are my suggestions on flights, first Air Canada is the most expensive way to fly to Aruba. Trust me, we do not live in Toronto so we have to fly to Toronto and then onto Aruba. Since we can not go direct, we looked elsewhere for flights and the price difference is unbelievable. This Xmas the flight differential between Air Canada and US Air was approx. $700! Check the US carriers and you may be surprised at what you will find.

Next topic... I would not recommend the Rui. If you check around this BB, it is highly discouraged to go to an all inclusive in Aruba. Way to many good restaurants in Aruba to be limited. Aruba is small and easy to get around. Its your honeymoon so splurge and get away from the AI. A suggestion would be to investigate a timeshare (which is a small apartment) and get your food (great grocery stores in Aruba) and look after your breakfasts, lunches and alcholol your self. Save the extra money for the fabulous restaurants.
    IMO, Rui isn't my favourite. Read up on it. If you want a hotel experience and your finances could accomodate it, go to the Hyatt. If not, consider the Radisson (next door to the Rui but a lot nicer) and take the package that includes breakfast only.

Aruba since 1979
    here are some suggestions

palm beach.........look into the westin or the radisson.
    look into renting a time share unit at playa linda or occidental or marriott ocean or surf (although the beach up at the marriott is more congested than down at the westin, radisson, riu area.
    and fwiw the riu has an OUTSTANDING reputation for their food and their facilities although their pool area has little shade and the place is quite expensive.

eagle beach....all inclusive at divi ai, (the tamarijn has more kids/families, but its sister resort the divi ai is excellent for couples) . then there is my number #1 suggestion the BUCUTI. it is a lovely resort on eagle beach and every aspect of the place is screaming HONEYMOON and class and decorum and caribbean. love that place!

SO, you have tons of homework indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post

Aruba since 1979
    in regard to your question about flights from BC

click the link and see what kayak has

you can enter your dates and other preferences and see the choices right there on the list

http://www.kayak.com/flights?kw=kaya...FchW2godezorlw

Good suggestion Andrea, I forgot about Bucuti.

Rui, we had a number of friends stay there and they didn't love the food and found the whole "reservation" process for dinner frustrating. I guess its personal opinon. Pool, we found it rather sterile and many found that the shade issues problematic too.

You are also right that many do like the AI, but many who come to Aruba for the first time can be disappointed with the AI "atmosphere" as compared to other Carribean islands. By that I mean, (compare to Jamaica as an example) other places one must really stick to the resort in the evenings so the whole complex is set up different than we have in Aruba as people just don't venture off the resort. Due to the fact that Aruba is so safe you can safely travel all over. The resorts in Aruba are perhaps not as lavish because of this. Many resorts in Mexico and Jamaica are more luxurious as they do cater to the fact that their customers must stay on site at night. Many do recommend not the AI when discussing Aruba as it is unique to go to a Carribean island and be able to go anywhere. Although many on this forum do enjoy the AI (generally speaking they are not on their honeymoon). I did not mean to offend.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Wow, thank you all for your informative and quick replies! This forum is amazing!!

Yes, we are very much AI people, hence why I'm seeking out places like RIU...that's just the kind of vacationers we are, I don't like to worry about anything when I'm in a sunny destination and I spend almost all my time sun bathing and going in the ocean I've done a few AIs before and I'm not picky about buffets and food in general, so I don't think that'll be a problem. I've stayed in way lower class AIs than RIUs, trust me!

I see what you mean though about Aruba and it being safer to venture out and the AIs being different.

To be totally honest, after looking through prices I am really not sure we can afford anything in Aruba anyway I will check out the kayak link though, thanks so much!

Aruba since 1979
    call MCM TOurs
    Ask for Amy 1.800.642.7822

if anyone can figure a plan for you, it would be amy.
    she deals only with aruba vacations

tell her that you were referred by this site the ata community forum

andrea

Also check Cont. to Houston on a Fri. spend the night, and fly out Sat. morning(Houston to Aruba out of Houston,at this time only on Sat., & Sun.) We like the Tam. look at buildings 1300 & 1400, all ocean front, We are on the west coast also , and this is what we prefer instead of going from Phoenix to Newark, to Aruba. We usually spend less than $100. for a room in Houston, fly in for dinner, drinks good night sleep, early flight out!

I hope you can afford going to Aruba for your Honeymoon,( look at the Divi/Tamarijn) sister resorts, you can use both, only a golf cart ride away. It would be a Fantastic place to start your new life together. Best Wishes and many Happy Years together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast