Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Global Entry at airport

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River

Global Entry at airport

Things seemed to have calmed down at the airport in Aruba. I used to think the lines and waiting were horrible

THAT is until today.... Logan Airport at the international terminals were soooo bad
    we arrived home today from our travels and Logan's immigration / customs were something out of a nightmare.

hundreds and hundreds of people in lines to enter as U.S. Citizens and even more with green cards.

lines weren't moving and people were getting really cranky, especially me.

non residents are probably still in line that snaked back, yes back, to the off ramp of the plane.

we waited for over an hour and only moved about 12 feet.

soooo, I will never complain about Aruba's lines, they are a piece of cake.

Aruba since 1979
    that is terrible cindy

aruba's airport and their administrators have made it as painless as possible for us to maneuver thru the aruba airport.

many of us are grateful that u.s. customs is based in in aruba
    however, some still complain about it and having to go thru security screening 2x.

no one likes the lines that you experienced last night cindy.
    you all must have been so very tired.
    glad that you had a nice trip

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Things seemed to have calmed down at the airport in Aruba. I used to think the lines and waiting were horrible

THAT is until today.... Logan Airport at the international terminals were soooo bad
    we arrived home today from our travels and Logan's immigration / customs were something out of a nightmare.

hundreds and hundreds of people in lines to enter as U.S. Citizens and even more with green cards.

lines weren't moving and people were getting really cranky, especially me.

non residents are probably still in line that snaked back, yes back, to the off ramp of the plane.

we waited for over an hour and only moved about 12 feet.

soooo, I will never complain about Aruba's lines, they are a piece of cake.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I, for one, am glad that there is a US customs in Aruba. It may add more time but once you land in the States, you just want to go home at that point. No one wants to get in at 9 or 10 at night and know you still have another step to go. When I land with my carry on only, I walk right out the door.

wow Cindy - that's terrible. Arriving at JFK from Germany a few years ago was a terrible experience. Made me appreciate US Customs in Aruba even more than I already did!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

My husband and I just applied for the Global Entry program prior to our trip to Aruba in May. We were in the TSA pre check lines for the flights to Aruba - that was great! On our departure day from Aruba, we followed the same process as everyone else going through the first leg of the process at the Aruba airport (Aruba immigration and Aruba security). After we picked up our luggage and moved to US immigration (where we normally encounter the longest wait/line), we were delighted to see that there is a special line/kiosk center for those with Global Entry. We were pleasantly surprised to see that no one was in the line so we were able to walk directly up to the Immigration officer (note - there was a long line in the immigration hall that day - just not for us!). As an additional bonus, we learned we don't have to fill out that Blue Immigration form any longer as it is not required for those approved for Global Entry. Since we zipped through US immigration, we had more time to enjoy a sandwich and one last pina colada at "One Happy Bar' before boarding our flight home.
    In summary - Global Entry was a huge time saver. It costs $100 to apply for the Global Entry program and that is good for 5 years (so works out to $20 per year). We found it was worth the $20 on the first use! :-)

Boca Catalina Beach Marriott properties Mangel Halto for Snorkeling
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiChris View Post
    My husband and I just applied for the Global Entry program prior to our trip to Aruba in May. We were in the TSA pre check lines for the flights to Aruba - that was great! On our departure day from Aruba, we followed the same process as everyone else going through the first leg of the process at the Aruba airport (Aruba immigration and Aruba security). After we picked up our luggage and moved to US immigration (where we normally encounter the longest wait/line), we were delighted to see that there is a special line/kiosk center for those with Global Entry. We were pleasantly surprised to see that no one was in the line so we were able to walk directly up to the Immigration officer (note - there was a long line in the immigration hall that day - just not for us!). As an additional bonus, we learned we don't have to fill out that Blue Immigration form any longer as it is not required for those approved for Global Entry. Since we zipped through US immigration, we had more time to enjoy a sandwich and one last pina colada at "One Happy Bar' before boarding our flight home.
    In summary - Global Entry was a huge time saver. It costs $100 to apply for the Global Entry program and that is good for 5 years (so works out to $20 per year). We found it was worth the $20 on the first use! :-)
    May I ask, how long did it take after the application for processing?

I have to renew my passport which expires mid July so I'm interested in this Global Entry Program. I like to know more about it.

The process to apply is fairly easy. You simply fill out an on-line application at https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/ and pay the application fee. Within a week you receive a per-approval notification. In order to get final approval, you need to schedule an interview at a Global Entry center. The interview takes ~ 15 minutes and then they provide you with some training about how the program works and instruction on how to use the kiosk (15-20 minutes). Once you complete the interview, you receive your final approval via email within 1-7 business days. The rate limiting step is scheduling the appointment for an interview. When you first look at the on-line calendar to schedule your interview, the "next available" appointment is typically 2 months out. However, we learned that you can visit the website every morning and they will open up appointments within the next week or two as they receive cancellations. So the trick to getting an early interview is to slip into an appointment vacated by a cancellation. But just to show you how quick it can go, my husband and I applied on April 24th, got an interview scheduled for May 1st, and within 2 hrs of our interviews, we received email approval.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Correct me if I am Wrong....
    i don't think it works internationally

in other words wouldn't have worked for us coming in from Germany

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Correct me if I am Wrong....
    i don't think it works internationally

in other words wouldn't have worked for us coming in from Germany
    I never heard about it before but it sounds very interesting. IMO, as the words "Global Entry" states, it's a program particularly decided for international traveling. So yes, it should work if you come from Germany back to the USA. I wished I would have known about this sooner as I'm leaving for Germany on Sunday.

Here is an excerpt, much more info including a list of airports at the link:

Global Entry is a program being piloted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection that allows pre-approved, low-risk travelers to receive expedited clearance upon arrival into the United States. As of December 2014, Global Entry was available at 42 U.S. airports and 12 preclearance locations. More than 1.8 million members are enrolled in Global Entry and approximately 50,000 new applications for the program are filed monthly.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Entry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast