Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Global Entry just applied

That is awesome! Thanks for all the info!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I obviously haven't done my research so I'll ask, What is the advantage of Global Entry? Yesterday we came home from Vegas on Jet Blue. They had us on TSA precheck so the security line was expedited. No need to take off shoes etc. We made it to the gate in about 10 minutes. Also when we went to Aruba last month, security was expedited because of the extra room seat purchase. Just wondering if Global Entry is worth it.
    Peg, from what I can tell in Aruba it would only let you bypass the customs kiosks line. Since we don't travel internationally much, I decided for us it is not worth it. If we had to do customs in Miami to make a connection, I would reconsider.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

We're pretty much domestic flights as well with the exception of Aruba. Not sure it's worth it for us either

Aruba since 1979
    same with us.
    our air travels take us mostly to new england or aruba

and the others are cruises

Same here. I mostly travel to Puerto Rico and Aruba plus a cruise. I have to renew my passport too which is going to cost me $115.00. I got a little scare on my trip to Aruba in May because as I was checking in with Delta in NY to fly to Aruba, they asked me if I knew my passport was expiring in July. I said yes. So then they asked me if I was aware that some countries do not allow entry if your passport will be expiring less than 6 months. I wasn't aware. They then said, let me check to see if Aruba has any restrictions. Boy oh boy they had me sweating for 5 minutes. The longest 5 minutes. Finally they told me, nope Aruba doesn't have any restrictions and you are good to go..I mentioned I was going to Bermuda on a cruise in September and they said I was lucky I was traveling to Aruba that day because if it was Bermuda, they would not allow me in to the country with a passport expiring 2 months.

From reading the comments above, it seems there is some confusion about the difference in TSA Precheck and Global Entry.
    They are two different things.
    TSA Precheck is for US security check points only. It gets you thru with out all the hassles, where available
    Global Entry is for Customs and Immigration. It expedites the re-entry into the USA. (Note:When leaving Aruba, after customs, you are in the USA even though you are still at the Aruba airport.)

If you do not travel internationally, TSA Pre is all you need.
    Global Entry lets you bypass the zigzag line at customs/immigration.

Global Entry is also good when returning from Bermuda, Bahamas and Ireland.
    Last edited by PawPaw; 06-18-2015 at 03:53 PM.

I'm just adding a note of clarification: It is important to note that Global Entry ($100 application fee - good for 5 years) INCLUDES the access to TSA pre-check lines for Domestic Travel in the USA. So they are not really 2 different programs. It is just that TSA Pre Check ($85 application fee - good for 5 yrs) is for domestic flights only and the global Entry program has expedited service through customers/border control PLUS the TSA Pre Check benefit.
    Here is a link to a good chart that explains the different Trusted Traveler Programs: http://www.dhs.gov/comparison-chart

When you do the math, the price difference for Global Entry vs TSA Pre Check only works out to $3 more per year :
    ( $15 more for application fee / 5 years = $3/yr average cost)

Our last few flights, Jet Blue put us on TSA precheck, however, we have never paid a fee for it nor applied

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Our last few flights, Jet Blue put us on TSA precheck, however, we have never paid a fee for it nor applied
    Same here. I downloaded and used JetBlue's mobile app to check in on my last domestic flight in May. I had to answer a few questions, and then I had TSA precheck.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Heading to out " interview" this morning at 8 am
    start to finish this project took 2 months
    good thing we weren't in a hurry
    any time I can alleviate in lines is worth it to me

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast