Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Groceries

I like to bring from home (Canada) tuna. I like my cloverleaf and really don't care for the Chicken of the Sea tuna. In addition, I might bring a small jar of peanut butter but that's really it. You can get almost anything at the grocery store and with having to watch the weight of the suitcase, tuna is it.

Also, if you are leaving Canada but traveling via the US, you can not travel with meat. This year I brought down Maple Syrup for some Aruban friends and both suitcases were opened up and I found the little card they put in your suitcase. It was inspected in the US.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

We've brought a range of foods over the years but only bring the things we know we cannot find on the island (lamb, maple syrup, our home-made Italian salami, a balsamic vinegar, cedar planks for BBQ). We have found a few very good options for purchasing high quality meats at good prices including US raised chicken - you just learn these things with time. Other than that, the grocery stores continue to improve their reliability and variety of stock seemingly every visit.

Keep in mind, there is always an outside chance your suitcase "might" be lost by the airline . . . and your frozen foods will thaw.

Michael

Over the years, we have cut down on foods we bring to Aruba. Coffee, a little coffee mate for the first morning and some herbs and spices in small amounts.

The markets have a great variety of foods, especially if you're willing to buy European brands.

My husband and I were thinking of visiting a grocery store to pick up some snack items for our room - crackers, bread, cheeses, deli meats, and beverages. Is there a grocery store near Bucuti Resort? If so, is it walking distance or should we stop on our way from the airport?

We were thinking that we could pick up duty free alcohol at Charlotte airport before our flight or at duty free in the Aruba airport before getting our luggage. Has anyone else done this? We didn't know if this was allowed.

Aruba since 1979
    the grocery stores (LINGS, CERTIFIED, SUPER FOOD) are a good 20 minute walk from Bucuti.

You could walk there and take a cab back to Bucuti.

The alcohol purchase makes sense to buy at duty free at your departure airport (charlotte ) or the Aruba airport.
    Yes, absolutely allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by amydawn99 View Post
    My husband and I were thinking of visiting a grocery store to pick up some snack items for our room - crackers, bread, cheeses, deli meats, and beverages. Is there a grocery store near Bucuti Resort? If so, is it walking distance or should we stop on our way from the airport?

We were thinking that we could pick up duty free alcohol at Charlotte airport before our flight or at duty free in the Aruba airport before getting our luggage. Has anyone else done this? We didn't know if this was allowed.

beer

Does anyone know why beer prices are so high? Even Balashi is not cheap although definitely cheaper than the imports.

question

I pulled this off another message board. Does anyone recognize the place being described:

"If you want to be a bit more adventurous, go into the city (across the floating bridge) and look for a restaurant that is set up under a red tent/awning in the middle of one of the streets (maybe italian??). I can't remember the name of the place, but I think the sides of the awning say Amstel Beer. The service part of the restauratn is in a building right next to the tent, but all the patron seating is outside under this awning in the middle of the street.

Anyway, they have LOTS of interesting beer from all over the world, including Kasteel (a personal favorite), and most selections have very high alcohol content. Like 11-12% alcohol content which is 2x-3x higher than most domestic beers."

Aruba since 1979
    maybe there is a tax that is passed on to the consumers?

maybe the import costs?

and i have no reasoning for balashi.
    other than.......people will pay it

Quote Originally Posted by jbrid23456 View Post
    Does anyone know why beer prices are so high? Even Balashi is not cheap although definitely cheaper than the imports.

Not sure but it's much cheaper to buy beer at grocery store than $6 each by the pool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12