Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Handicapped aua airport assistance

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    30

    Handicapped aua airport assistance

    My husband will be in a need of a wheelchair. When we depart aruba do we wait in the long check in line at the american airlines counter to pick up the wheelchair? Also who will assist us with luggage from when cab drops off at the front door to the time we get to counter? Do they have porters when you get to airport for departures?

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,431
    http://www.airportaruba.com and https://www.facebook.com/Aruba-Airport-114550875233924/

    i think that your questions need to be addressed to the Aruba Airport AND the wheelchair question to American Airlines.

    All checked luggage will need to be picked up in the luggage room @ US Customs.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 08-07-2016 at 09:19 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member WaltVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Scott's Brats, Iguana Joes, Surf Club
    Posts
    2,679
    I'm not sure how things will go at the airport itself, but do what it says in this link to request assistance from American during your flights:

    https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...false&from=Nav

  4. #4
    Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,128
    In case Vanessa didn't see my post on another forum.

    When you arrive at the airport, there will be men outside with luggage carts to assist you from the taxi in bringing your luggage into the airport. He will bring the luggage cart to the airline check-in counter and leave your bags to the side of the counter. This way you don't have to stand in line with your luggage. I tipped him $5.00 as I was a solo traveler and only had a couple of bags. He will tell airport personnel that a wheelchair is needed. Or you can tell your airline that you need a wheelchair. Make sure it is on your reservation that a wheelchair is requested. The person needing the wheelchair can wait being seated on a chair in the departure building till the wheelchair arrives.

    If I remember correctly when I needed a wheelchair at the airport after I fell in Aruba, airport personnel wheeled me to the counter to check-in then through the departure building. I think I had 2 different persons wheeling me through Aruba and U.S. immigration and customs. I tipped each $5.00.

    Added: I only noted that I used wheelchair assistance once in Aruba. I now remember that I have three times in Aruba. My sister also needs a wheelchair when traveling to Aruba and other destinations. You can either call AA to put in on your reservation that you need a wheelchair. If you have a profile on AA website, you can add it yourself and it will stay in your AA profile for whenever you travel on the airline in the future.

    You did not mention wheelchair assistance when you arrive in Aruba. You will need assistance there also. A agent will be waiting when you get off the plane and take you to immigration. Since your husband will be in a wheelchair, the agent will get you through very fast. No waiting on long lines. After immigration, you will pick-up your luggage. There is usually a porter inside in the baggage area if you want help with your luggage. Or you can get a FREE luggage cart yourself. Carts are located on the far left in the baggage pickup area. Though myself and my sister don't take a taxi as we both rent a car, I assume the agent will stay with you until he/she pushes the wheelchair to the taxi stand. Note: while waiting for your luggage, there is a Duty Free shop on the far right in the baggage area.

    When you depart Aruba, it is recommended that you arrive at the airport three hours prior to departure.

  5. #5
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,431
    Liz....was the wheelchair assistance person allowed to go int US CUSTOMS area?
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz - Aruba Lover View Post
    In case Vanessa didn't see my post on another forum.

    When you arrive at the airport, there will be men outside with luggage carts to assist you from the taxi in bringing your luggage into the airport. He will bring the luggage cart to the airline check-in counter and leave your bags to the side of the counter. This way you don't have to stand in line with your luggage. I tipped him $5.00 as I was a solo traveler and only had a couple of bags. He will tell airport personnel that a wheelchair is needed. Or you can tell your airline that you need a wheelchair. Make sure it is on your reservation that a wheelchair is requested. The person needing the wheelchair can wait being seated on a chair in the departure building till the wheelchair arrives.

    If I remember correctly when I needed a wheelchair at the airport after I fell in Aruba, airport personnel wheeled me to the counter to check-in then through the departure building. I think I had 2 different persons wheeling me through Aruba and U.S. immigration and customs. I tipped each $5.00.

    Added: I only noted that I used wheelchair assistance once in Aruba. I now remember that I have three times in Aruba. My sister also needs a wheelchair when traveling to Aruba and other destinations. You can either call AA to put in on your reservation that you need a wheelchair. If you have a profile on AA website, you can add it yourself and it will stay in your AA profile for whenever you travel on the airline in the future.

    You did not mention wheelchair assistance when you arrive in Aruba. You will need assistance there also. A agent will be waiting when you get off the plane and take you to immigration. Since your husband will be in a wheelchair, the agent will get you through very fast. No waiting on long lines. After immigration, you will pick-up your luggage. There is usually a porter inside in the baggage area if you want help with your luggage. Or you can get a FREE luggage cart yourself. Carts are located on the far left in the baggage pickup area. Though myself and my sister don't take a taxi as we both rent a car, I assume the agent will stay with you until he/she pushes the wheelchair to the taxi stand. Note: while waiting for your luggage, there is a Duty Free shop on the far right in the baggage area.

    When you depart Aruba, it is recommended that you arrive at the airport three hours prior to departure.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Liz....was the wheelchair assistance person allowed to go int US CUSTOMS area?
    Yes. I remember one person taking me through 1st security and Duty Free area (where he allowed me to shop) and then to the luggage room. Then to the U.S. Customs booth where he gave my passport & paperwork to the agent. I think on the other side of the booth a different assistance person took me through U.S. security and up the elevator to the departure gate. That's where he left me in the wheelchair. I wheeled myself to the bathroom and One Happy Bar to have a smoke.
    Last edited by Liz - Aruba Lover; 08-07-2016 at 06:03 PM.


  7. #7
    Senior Member Sue M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    566
    When we traveled to Aruba in July we made arrangements wiith American Airlines when we departed Columbus Oh and from there to Charlotte and then on to Aruba we were well taken care of. This was the same when we returned from Aruba. The service was excellent and there were very long lines each way. We were permitted to travel along with her so we did not wait in line. This was through customs and all. I was very pleased with the excellent service we received. If you do this when you arrive at the airport you should be good to go. Safe travels and I hope all goes smoothly. We did provide tips to the people. One employee would not take it and asked us to give to our church which was very nice.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue M. View Post
    When we traveled to Aruba in July we made arrangements wiith American Airlines when we departed Columbus Oh and from there to Charlotte and then on to Aruba we were well taken care of. This was the same when we returned from Aruba. The service was excellent and there were very long lines each way. We were permitted to travel along with her so we did not wait in line. This was through customs and all. I was very pleased with the excellent service we received. If you do this when you arrive at the airport you should be good to go. Safe travels and I hope all goes smoothly. We did provide tips to the people. One employee would not take it and asked us to give to our church which was very nice.
    Did the porters help with luggage leaving aruba

  9. #9
    Senior Member Sue M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    566
    Yes, and they allowed us to take the wheelchair across the street to where we where to get our rental car. You should be fine.

  10. #10
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,431
    so glad that sue and liz have been able to give great answers advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO