Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heightened Security at Queen Beatrix Airport

Aruba since 1979

Heightened Security at Queen Beatrix Airport

Leave xtra time when departing Aruba

Due to the incident in the air over Detroit on Christmas Day

All carry ons will be searched

All/if not most passengers departing Aruba will experience increased security measures and there have been pat downs.

remember too, (and i find this unbelievable)
    passengers are NOT allowed to leave their airline seat during the last hour of flight, not allowed to have ANYTHING in laps, no pillow/blanket during the last hour either, no reaching into overhead or leaving seat, no monitoring flight for last hour on the seat back tvs

Aruba since 1979
    I got this email from Arubalisa who is still in Aruba

, "received this
    | from my Mom today re: their departing flight yesterday.
    |
    | "new rules - you h ave to submit your carry on and pocket
    | book for search at the gate - and then they pat you down at
    | the gate - so be prepared""

Next thing the airlines will say is that no carry on luggage is allowed....Think about it an extra $25 per bag..Im all for safety but there has to be a better way.....Maybe we should all be naked on the plane...that would be funny.....NOT

Aruba since 1979
    if we have to be naked for flight, i will begin the fundraiser for the BIG LONG bridge to aruba.

Aruba since 1979
    from American Airline's website:
    Increased Airport Security Screening

Increased Airport Security Screening from any non-U.S. location TO the United States:
    For all flights departing from any non-U.S. location TO the United States, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has issued new security screening measures. This measure is in addition to the normal screening that all passengers must complete to enter secured areas. All passengers should plan to arrive at the airport at least three (3) hours in advance of their flight departure to allow extra time for check-in and the boarding process.

From Toronto airport you are only allowed one piece to carry on, soon it will be none.

Here is the TSA announcement. no clarity on what is going on - but
    I understand it varies from airport to airport. Many people are flying
    back to Aruba and getting in for the New Year's celebration. Will
    let you know more when I hear it.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/dec25_guidance.shtm

Aruba since 1979
    ragdoll is the one carryon the same as prior to the detroit incident?
    since the events of Sept 11 or since the events of that shoe bomber, we are allowed 1 carry on and 1 personal item. typically for us the personal items are our laptops and the carry on is a daypack or a small rolling pilot bag.

pretty sad that our world has come to this isn't it.

and i do have to say your avator is beautiful.
    is that your child?

Quote Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
    From Toronto airport you are only allowed one piece to carry on, soon it will be none.

Returned late yesterday afternoon from Aruba.

Delta has always permitted just one carry on as well as a bag such as a purse or computer bag.

Security at Reina Beatrix was like I have never seen in 19 visits to the island.

1. When they say get to the airport 3 hours prior to your flight, do it. Why take the chance?
    We stood in line for 20+ minutes just waiting to get to the FIRST document verification BEFORE going through Aruba Immigration.
    US immigration had only 2 windows open (one addtional for VIP's & crew members). Other US officials were at the gate areas.

2. US Customs were roaming the gate area with detector dogs.
    The dog spent a good amount of time on my camera bag until he was redirected. The scent of all of our cats must have been to the dog's liking.

3. Boarding- expect long lines.
    Upon being called for boarding you will be asked to place your carry on and any addtional items on a table for hand inspection. In Aruba the inspection was done by a private security firm as well as gate personnel with a Customs official overseeing the operation.
    Each and every carry on, purse, etc. were emptied, searched and then re-packed. Most if not all items spread out in the search were opened and inspected further.
    For example:
    I carry a sun glass case holding not only the glasses but cleaning cloth and prescription for the lens. The eye glass case was opened, sunglasses removed and case searched.
    Also in my purse is a small pouch with spare sets of house and car keys as well as a container of Tylenol and OTC sinus tablets. Everything was removed from the pouch and then replaced. As you can imagine, this is all very very time consuming.
    Dh's carry on had all of the Christmas presents (think valuables not fit for packing in suitcases). He was the last person to board the plane. It took him an hour at the hotel to fit everything in "just right" so that it fit. It took him and the inspector both to get everything back in randomly just so that it fit.

4. Physical "pat down" search.
    No wands, just hands of the inspector. This is the last step before heading down the jet way.

Planning on traveling to Aruba with "just" a carry on? Be prepared for lots of wrinkles. Inspectors really tried to do their best but watching the line of people for the Delta flight prior to ours, inspectors trying to do a good job and satisfying the numerous passenger complaints (yes there were plenty) just cannot do it all perfectly.

Welcome to a new world.

Delta boards by zones. There were two Delta flight departing yesterday. The full flight departed an hour late. Yes it takes THAT long for boarding inspections. Our flight was virtually empty so departed only 15 minutes late. Our flight arrived in Atlanta early but had to sit on the tarmac waiting for our assigned gate to clear. The jet there was late in departing.

After witnessing what we saw yesterday, to do it all over again, travel with as few carry ons as possible and minimize anything you are bringing aboard.

The beach, Boca Prins & just about anywhere with my husband!
    Thanks so much Arubalisa and everyone else for all your information, it definately puts things into a new perspective...we are leaving thru JFK on Saturday. I guess we will be at the airport wicked early-thank you underwear bomber!

While I DEFINATELY agree that it is WAY better to be safe than sorry, it does make me grumble just a little to wait just a little longer to get to paradise!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast