Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heightened Security at Queen Beatrix Airport

I remember in 1970, flying to Itqaly from Boston via Frankfurt. We had to deplane, and go through security including a "complete" patdown by armed German security forces. It's all part of trying to make the world safe from airline terrorists.

They have new scanners that can look right through your clothes, that would negate the need for patdowns, but the US seems reluctant to put them into use.

I would think it would, at the very least, make the job of monitoring them a lot less boring!

Quote Originally Posted by damnyankeeuk View Post
    but the US seems reluctant to put them into use.
    Might have something to do with the price tag of $200,000 EACH. But then again, it is our safety and the US government has spent good money on many other more stupid things.

Just crank up the printers at the mint!

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/dec25_guidance.shtm
    TSA Guidance for Passengers on Heightened Security Measures in Place Following Dec. 25 Incident

Terrorists in Aruba? New TSA Regulations.

Q: What additional security measures are being taken for international flights to U.S. destinations?

A: On January 3, 2009, the Transportation Security Administration issued a new security directive to all U.S. and international air carriers with inbound flights to the U.S. effective January 4, 2010. The new directive includes long-term, sustainable security measures developed in consultation with law enforcement officials and our domestic and international partners.
    TSA is mandating that every individual flying into the U.S. from anywhere in the world traveling from or through nations that are state sponsors of terrorism or other countries of interest will be required to go through enhanced screening. TSA directed the increase use of enhanced screening technologies and mandates threat-based and random screening for majority passengers on U.S. bound international flights.

I SUPPOSE THERE COULD BE THE SLIGHT CHANCE THAT A TERRORIST MIGHT BOARD A PLANE IN ARUBA BOUND FOR THE USA, BUT SINCE WHEN HAS ARUBA BEEN A STATE SPONSOR OF TERRORISM OR A COUNTRY OF INTEREST? CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT TYPE OF SEARCHES ARE DONE TO PEOPLE FLYING INTO THE USA FROM LET'S SAY,YEMEN, GIVEN THE NEW SECURITY AT AUA???? WOW....I CAN'T WAIT TO FLY TO ARUBA THIS MONTH... AND I'M GOING US AIR.... OH NO!

I

Aruba since 1979
    in no way does anyone ever consider aruba a terrorist country.
    here is part of that TSA quote the part in RED is the important wording. the remaining part of that sentence probably should be its own sentence or at least have a comma thrown in.

"consultation with law enforcement officials and our domestic and international partners.
    TSA is mandating that every individual flying into the U.S. from anywhere in the world traveling from or through nations that are state sponsors of terrorism or other countries of interest will be required to go through enhanced screening."

i for one am glad that the TSA is taking measure to protect ME, my family and my friends.

your opinion is appreciated.
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    Q: What additional security measures are being taken for international flights to U.S. destinations?

A: On January 3, 2009, the Transportation Security Administration issued a new security directive to all U.S. and international air carriers with inbound flights to the U.S. effective January 4, 2010. The new directive includes long-term, sustainable security measures developed in consultation with law enforcement officials and our domestic and international partners.
    TSA is mandating that every individual flying into the U.S. from anywhere in the world traveling from or through nations that are state sponsors of terrorism or other countries of interest will be required to go through enhanced screening. TSA directed the increase use of enhanced screening technologies and mandates threat-based and random screening for majority passengers on U.S. bound international flights.

I SUPPOSE THERE COULD BE THE SLIGHT CHANCE THAT A TERRORIST MIGHT BOARD A PLANE IN ARUBA BOUND FOR THE USA, BUT SINCE WHEN HAS ARUBA BEEN A STATE SPONSOR OF TERRORISM OR A COUNTRY OF INTEREST? CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT TYPE OF SEARCHES ARE DONE TO PEOPLE FLYING INTO THE USA FROM LET'S SAY,YEMEN, GIVEN THE NEW SECURITY AT AUA???? WOW....I CAN'T WAIT TO FLY TO ARUBA THIS MONTH... AND I'M GOING US AIR.... OH NO!

I

Me too. I don't mind the pat downs and the searching through suitcases. It sucks, but just think what would happen if someone like the previous guy got on board with YOU and was actually ABLE to detonate a device! It is a pain, but it could potentially save your life.

Aruba since 1979
    ISRAEL'S EL AL seems to have it all figured out.
    The TSA needs to crack down and just use the EL AL procedures or hire those folks as consultants.
    But, the American travelers would not be very happy flying with EL AL policies.
    I prefer safe in the air over happiness in the air.

I saw on the news last night that all passengers on international flights from 14 specific countries to the US are subject to enhanced screening. Aruba is NOT one of those countries.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleangel View Post
    I saw on the news last night that all passengers on international flights from 14 specific countries to the US are subject to enhanced screening. Aruba is NOT one of those countries.
    Hopefully someone returning since Monday can report first hand on present departure procedures.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/010310_statement.shtm
    TSA Statement on New Security Measures for International Flights to the U.S.

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    Quote Originally Posted by fry120 View Post
    Me too. I don't mind the pat downs and the searching through suitcases. It sucks, but just think what would happen if someone like the previous guy got on board with YOU and was actually ABLE to detonate a device! It is a pain, but it could potentially save your life.
    We'll be heading to Aruba in March and my husband asked me last night how I felt about a pat down at the airport. I told him, I'd rather go thru that than be blown up thousands of feet in the air by some idiot wrapped in explosives! Hands down, no hesitation in my response!

I understand it's a pain to spend that much time in an airport, waiting in line after line but I have many many years of vacationing ahead of me and there's no way I'm letting that stop me! It's worth the time on the beach!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast