Aruba Beach
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By ~Amy~
  • 1 Post By Jacki

Thread: Huge Difference is Airfare?

Huge Difference is Airfare?

Hello! I am in the works of planning a wedding in Aruba but I am a little confused about the airfare situation. I was looking at traveling in October, I looked at the flight prices for then (hoping to get a rough estimate) and it was $700 per person! I thought October was during a slow season and would mean lower airfares? Am I crazy for thinking that? But then I went and looked at airfares for April... THIS APRIL and they were $400 a person. That is a HUGE difference. Is that common? Will the October prices drop to that 400 dollar range eventually? I would have a really hard time asking my guests to shell out $800 for 1 persons flight.

Oh by the way, I am flying out of the Oklahoma City airport. I don't know if that makes any difference.

Aruba since 1979
    you are right a huge difference.

it is hard to figure out when to "pull the trigger" and purchase.

it is very common.

i recommend signing up for one of the airfare monitoring sites.

does southwest airlines fly in and out of oklahoma city?

Quote Originally Posted by PaigeLmn View Post
    Hello! I am in the works of planning a wedding in Aruba but I am a little confused about the airfare situation. I was looking at traveling in October, I looked at the flight prices for then (hoping to get a rough estimate) and it was $700 per person! I thought October was during a slow season and would mean lower airfares? Am I crazy for thinking that? But then I went and looked at airfares for April... THIS APRIL and they were $400 a person. That is a HUGE difference. Is that common? Will the October prices drop to that 400 dollar range eventually? I would have a really hard time asking my guests to shell out $800 for 1 persons flight.

Oh by the way, I am flying out of the Oklahoma City airport. I don't know if that makes any difference.

I can't help you specifically with your market since all of the variables (airport, airline, etc.) are different. What I can tell you is that we fly to Aruba twice a year - usually April and Sept. For our April flights the airfares seems to drop in Jan/early Feb. For our Sept. trip we have never booked our flights before May. Airfares (for us anyway - flying from MSP) always seem to drop about 3-4 months out. We plan on booking a Sept. trip again and right now the fares are somewhat high ($560) for Sept. but I know as long as we wait until around May or June they will usually drop to around $480.

Another idea is to look at the seats available. I'm looking at the seats right now for mid to late April from MSP and the flights are only half full during the week....which is why the airfare for April has dropped to $450. Also try to fly midweek. Flights on Saturdays and Sundays tend to be higher. If you can be flexible with your dates, that is key to getting a good airfare.

Airfare monitioring sites are fine to use but I have found over the years that I can usually find a good fare faster than the sites do because they are a little slow with their notifications. Just 15 minutes between you finding a good fare and the site notifying you 15 minutes later can be the loss of a good fare. They come and go quickly so you are always your best advocate.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 02-03-2015 at 12:06 PM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Just booked for april and the flights were 375...great deal with usair/aa.
    We also go in November and I usually find flights around the 475-520 area, although my sis-in-law got tickets this past November for 376. She booked a few weeks out, where I booked mine in around april (for nov)....I am a bit anal though and like certain seats so I book when the price is about average and I get the seats I prefer.....
    But if you do like the others recommend and find a monitoring site you should be able to get them in the about range.......good like and congrats on your up coming nuptuals !!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Welcome to the Aruba.com Community Forum!

Booking a good airfare is like a part time job. You just have to keep watching & plugging away and you will find one. Good luck!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by PaigeLmn View Post

The flight prices will shift as the date comes closer based on a number of variables : demand, competing flights etc.

A friend of mine works as a consultant in airline pricing strategies (yep, it's a real thing) and he said Aruba is a unique entity for some airlines as it almost has a built-in "gotcha" factor: the thinking being that people who go in low-season really need to go (i.e. they have a driver for not going in a more popular season) so the airlines know they can charge a premium.

The reality is that, this far out, the airlines are going to cite significantly higher prices because they can't determine demand or other factors like oil/gas prices.

So... you need to keep watching prices - I use Google Flights which builds prices on the fly.

I encourage you to get your guests to start searching as they'll want the best buy too and will cast a wider net to surface prices as they find them.

It would also be a good idea to have them look at the prices of actually being in Aruba (hotels, restaurants, tours, shopping etc.) as it isn't cheap to visit. Give them some advance warning so they don't suffer sticker shock the minute they land.
    Last edited by act1966; 02-03-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    I booked our flights in early January for our May trip. I checked airfare prices at least 20 times before I found the price I wanted. That price has never returned. The fare is at least $250 more per than what I bought, sometimes much more. Airlines change prices on flights almost daily and sometimes hourly. I don't know why but they do. My sis was looking for good fares for May and ended up getting 2 one way flights to Aruba on Delta for $251 each from DFW and using AA ff miles for 2 return tickets. That $251 price was only on the board for 1 day. Since then it has been $396 per or more. Like I said on another post here, when you see a price you like, buy it. Chances are it will not show up again.

If your a large group (10+ ppl) contact group sales. Some airlines give you preferred pricing for a large group. Even if you have a few ppl that have a slightly different place of origin but you will all meet up at the same hub, this can be done too.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Hard to judge here. For me a good price out of Philly Direct to aruba might be about $700 or so, however a drive up the turnpike and the price drops to maybe under $500. I can see what Amy is saying, flights to Aruba for us also appear cheapest in the dead of winter esp February when it is cold here in the northeast, but the hotels are also charging the most. In the past we have went in the November, low season and we have received good deals at hotels, but had to pay more for air. I think the safe bet is to check out how many seats are available in those flights and you can play it from there (per Amy too, I do this as well). Andrea asked you about SW, if they fly out of your hub their seats/schedule will not be out for a few more months.

I booked our Christmas/New Years flight already for $7xx(forget the exact number)! I booked the first minute the flight home was available (I sat up until midnight). I wanted a direct flight, and I wanted to go out of Philly which is about 10 miles from my home. Last year, those prices soared and I did not see them under $1,000 if they did fall I missed them. Last year we paid about $150 more a tix, but flew first class out of EWR which is 80 miles from our home and we had a stop and changed planes. We stayed over night (park and fly). This year I really wanted the to go out of PHL and I wanted direct.

So keep that in mind. If you see a price that is reasonable, go for it. I think that for October, it is too early to book. I would still track prices, but I would think that March/April you will see a better price, maybe even in the early summer May/June when the other guys post their flights.

Good Luck, I drive myself nuts tracking. My price paid may fall, but I dont think it will be too much lower, and I did not want it to rise like crazy since be already rent a house, I would have to pay.

Good Luck