Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: I hope American Airline can get their ACT together!!

American Airlines did NOT merge with US Air, it was a hostile takeover! I have flown American Airlines for many decades and believe me, they now exist in name only. It is a shame what US Air (the worst airline I have ever experienced) has done to the fine reputation that American Airlines worked hard to achieve. That being said, I now live in south Florida. The cost of an American Airline round trip ticket from Miami to Aruba is MORE then the cost of an American Airline round trip ticket out of JFK, stopping in Miami, and then continuing onto Aruba. I know it sounds crazy, but I have a friend on Long Island who pays less then I do to get to Aruba. Unfortunately supply and demand play a huge part in American Airlines raping the people of south Florida. Yes, I will be flying them again in three months, but only because I have no choice...no choice at all if I want to travel from south Florida to Aruba!

At this point I try to only fly Jet Blue despite them often gouging their loyal customers. My flights in Feb are over $1500 each for direct from Boston but I won't fly anyway but direct at this point. I wish I was direct in 1st class but I may have to use my son as collateral, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlene View Post
    American Airlines did NOT merge with US Air, it was a hostile takeover! I have flown American Airlines for many decades and believe me, they now exist in name only. It is a shame what US Air (the worst airline I have ever experienced) has done to the fine reputation that American Airlines worked hard to achieve. That being said, I now live in south Florida. The cost of an American Airline round trip ticket from Miami to Aruba is MORE then the cost of an American Airline round trip ticket out of JFK, stopping in Miami, and then continuing onto Aruba. I know it sounds crazy, but I have a friend on Long Island who pays less then I do to get to Aruba. Unfortunately supply and demand play a huge part in American Airlines raping the people of south Florida. Yes, I will be flying them again in three months, but only because I have no choice...no choice at all if I want to travel from south Florida to Aruba!
    Your statement directly conflicts with everything I've been through with the merger of US Air and American. I frequently fly American now that the merge has happened and find American to be quite accommodating and actually better than US Air. I have only been a Dividend Miles/AAdvantage member since April 11, 1989, so perhaps I don't have as much experience flying as you do. But I believe it if was a "hostile takeover", the planes would have US Air painted on the sides of them. I'm sorry you have to accept the pricing out of Miami. Perhaps you wold have more options flying out of Ft. Lauderdale?

Walt, as was told to me by an American Airline employee, the only reason the name "American Airlines" was kept in place was due to the bad reputation of US Air. And the "old" American Airline employees were not pleased with the "US Air" customer service policies that were forced upon the airline. Anyway, I am glad you have had good experiences. FYI: I would gladly fly out of Ft. Lauderdale, as that is even closer to where I live. (I live 30 miles north of West Palm Beach) I would have to drive to Orlando to take another airline. It is what it is, and being in Aruba makes it all worth while.

I have a lot of great memories with American Airlines especially flying to Aruba but that stopped once they stopped flying direct from JFK. I had over 160K miles with American and decided to go to Puerto Rico in March. I was able to get 2 business class seats with my miles and paid a fee of $15.00. Years ago I had 200K miles with American and purchased 2 business class seats from NY TO LA for just the $15 or $20 fee and I met Salma Hayak on my way back to NY in the business class section. Actually I switched seats with her daughters Nanny so they could all be together in the same row plus I got to chat with her for a while sipping a brandy. Great memories and nice free perks with American Airlines..

Quote Originally Posted by Arlene View Post
    It is not American Airlines targeting you in south Florida. It is the business model of ALL airlines.

We live in Georgia, the "home" of Delta and there are any number of destinations which are less expensive.

How could it POSSIBLY cost the SAME amount of money to fly to Aruba from San Francisco as it is from Atlanta?
    SUPPLY AND DEMAND.
    BUT if I don't want to pay Delta's prices I have the option of flying Southwest, Spirit or American. OR I can move to San Francisco.
    Better yet, I can move to Newark NJ and fly United to Aruba. A lot further to fly but the fare on United is $150 CHEAPER than from Atlanta to Aruba.
    Again it is the business model of airlines and supply and demand dictates prices.

We flew American Airlines over Christmas to Aruba and they were fine. Were they as good as Delta? No. Would we fly them again if it is significantly cheaper as it was on this occasion? Yes.

Orlando/Aruba

I would have to drive to Orlando to take another airline. It is what it is, and being in Aruba makes it all worth while.[/QUOTE]

Southwest flies non stop Orlando-Aruba. We have done so for the past 3 years. Worth the drive. All trips managed an empty seat between us!

I think the new American Airlines stinks. This past trip we get delayed in Aruba miss the connecting flight in Charlotte get no hotel or food vouchers have to pay 250 for 5 hours in a hotel and the only explanation from American was " well it is spring break next week you know". After the miles are used no more American for us.
    Next Aruba trip in

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12