Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I shoulda waited

I am contemplating canceling my Airtran reservation at a cost of 150. to do so and rebook the non stop flights.

what to do? what to do?

Tim
    I booked in December for July 4-11 (Mon-Mon) with American out of Boston with a stop in Miami for a total of $424 with taxes included. I had family members book for Sun - sun with Jet Blue out of Boston direct flight for $164 each way (taxes additional) just last month. For me out of Boston I start looking in December and if I find anything less than $500 with taxes included I buy it. Sometimes I have waited 2-3 weeks up to the date but i seem to get it. Maybe the airline dumps the remaining tickets as it gets closer or sells cheap at the beginning.

Not many seats available and pickings are very little. Probably will not be sitting together.
    Honey says we are on vacation so do not worry about it.
    $150 can get a few meals-- so I am staying with what I have.

Aruba since 1979
    $150 will buy you 22 BOGO (so the number is really 44) frozen drinks at Amsterdam Manor Beach Bar or Lacabana PoolBar at happy hr.
    hahahahaha enjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
    Not many seats available and pickings are very little. Probably will not be sitting together.
    Honey says we are on vacation so do not worry about it.
    $150 can get a few meals-- so I am staying with what I have.

Aruba flights

Well I am back and forth alot from Detroit to Aruba and to be honest I never book until 2 weeks before I leave and even at that time I put it on hold on american and keep checking daily through Kayak.com who has the best specials. I bought my daughters ticket the day before and I saved $150 round trip from only 1 week prior. Because I lived in Aruba and fly to Michigan I pretty much see that high season is always more and then when slow season comes in they hold the prices, the planes dont get filled and then they drop. So from me to you never book way in advance. My rule of thumb from past experience is start checking 1 month prior. I have never paid over $400.0o round trip from DTW to AUA.
    Capturing the passion and love of your special day in paradise.
    bellarubaphoto@yahoo.com

Just booked last week BUF-AUA for 08/22-09/02 on Delta for $431.10 return (including taxes). Pricing is in $USD which makes it even cheaper for us Canucks now that our dollar is worth $1.03 USD.
    Michael

I just looked at Delta and for matt's dates, from ATL the fare was $600+ which is the average of what it has been "off sale".

Looked at dates in July and the fares were $800+.

I overheard the same conversation of a woman at the airport on Wednesday she thought about waiting, not wanting to pay $600 but then the fare went up to $800 and stayed there.

It is a crap shoot, never ever second guess yourself, it will drive you nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
    I am contemplating canceling my Airtran reservation at a cost of 150. to do so and rebook the non stop flights.

what to do? what to do?
    Since your flight is in September I'd wait to cancel the Air Tran. Keep an eye on the schedule, they have a track record of changing flights but are usually accommodating to work with, much more so than the legacy airlines.

If they change their schedule significantly (usually by a couple of hours, it varies by airline) you can call customer service and ask for a full refund because the new schedule doesn't meet your needs. If there are no big changes then just go with the cancel for $150 as your trip gets closer. In other words, waiting to cancel MIGHT get that full refund without the cancel fee.

Meanwhile, lock in the better flights before the prices go up if those are the ones you want! Yes, you'll have money tied up in two sets of tickets for a while, but if you can handle that you might be able to avoid that cancel fee and not be stuck with nonrefundable Air Tran flight credits.
    Last edited by territravel; 07-01-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by territravel View Post
    Since your flight is in September I'd wait to cancel the Air Tran. Keep an eye on the schedule, they have a track record of changing flights but are usually accommodating to work with, much more so than the legacy airlines.s.

well, that is exactly what happened today. Airtran changed my flight to where we leave at 8am instead of 6am. with arrival into aruba at 3pm instead of 1. My whole first day is almost shot with that flight.
    So I was able to cancel with no penalties. Booked the non stop flight with USAir for only 22 more then what we paid on Airtran.

Now we are arriving ar 12:30pm but leaving Aruba t 1:30 but arriving home at 6:30pm instead of 1Am. (I am happy with the change)

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post

It is a crap shoot, never ever second guess yourself, it will drive you nuts.
    exactly. There is no golden rule for booking flights, every day/week/month is different from the last.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast