Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: I think I'm done with Southwest

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We are flying United on our way down. I will FaceTime you of Jon gets hogtied.
    Pretty sure I could gnaw my way through handcuffs to get to Aruba.

We booked using points for September. Hopefully, we won't have issues. I also have points left over and credits that I am going to try to use to book my daughter and me to California for a graduation gift. I can't believe she's graduating college!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    We booked using points for September. Hopefully, we won't have issues. I also have points left over and credits that I am going to try to use to book my daughter and me to California for a graduation gift. I can't believe she's graduating college!!!!!
    The problem we had was using multiple credits on one flight.

The seating process gives me anxiety every time.
    Tracey, I feel your pain when it comes to policies with SW and like someone above me mentioned...don get me started about AA
    Anyway, if you do as Randi suggested they will probably get you settled so you can check in 24 hours before and I know how you feel about ending up in a bad line position...I fly quit a bit and was loyal to the bone to USAir, I think I am one of the only people that never had issues with them....now with AA, I hate the thought of even having to use them....I have been flying SW a bunch lately and found that if I check in at the 24 hour mark and even with a bad position I then go to terminal and ask for an upgraded seating position. It costs an extra 40 (might be more for aruba) but then I am always in A1-10 !!!! So I always get the seat I prefer...
    Consider that next time you are dealing with SW
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    Tracey, I feel your pain when it comes to policies with SW and like someone above me mentioned...don get me started about AA
    Anyway, if you do as Randi suggested they will probably get you settled so you can check in 24 hours before and I know how you feel about ending up in a bad line position...I fly quit a bit and was loyal to the bone to USAir, I think I am one of the only people that never had issues with them....now with AA, I hate the thought of even having to use them....I have been flying SW a bunch lately and found that if I check in at the 24 hour mark and even with a bad position I then go to terminal and ask for an upgraded seating position. It costs an extra 40 (might be more for aruba) but then I am always in A1-10 !!!! So I always get the seat I prefer...
    Consider that next time you are dealing with SW
    We have done the upgraded boarding position at the gate too. It is $40 from Aruba, however they hand wrote it on our existing boarding pass and gave us and another couple both the same numbers. It all worked out nd we had an open middle seat, but the other couple was kind of rude about it. I didn't have a good feeling about the handwritten system, but we didn't care we just went behind the complainers.

If you ever get the unfortunate mishap of having to board SWA from the tarmac in Aruba, good luck. It was a free for all, pushing and all. We had a lomg delay and our plane had no gate available. It can only be described as chaos.

well that just sucks !!!!
    On the upside....depending on how you look at it....I just now checked flights for aruba on AA...for my time period this year which is week before and week of thanksgiving....cheapest flight is 513 which sounds great if you want to leave on sunday and get there on monday...did not even check return
    then if you want to be there the same day AND at a reasonable hour without 3 flights to get you there the price goes up to 720-800....Jeez, I don't want to buy the airline only rent a seat for crips sake !!!!!
    Guess I will start walking now and see how far I get !!! LOL !!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    well that just sucks !!!!
    On the upside....depending on how you look at it....I just now checked flights for aruba on AA...for my time period this year which is week before and week of thanksgiving....cheapest flight is 513 which sounds great if you want to leave on sunday and get there on monday...did not even check return
    then if you want to be there the same day AND at a reasonable hour without 3 flights to get you there the price goes up to 720-800....Jeez, I don't want to buy the airline only rent a seat for crips sake !!!!!
    Guess I will start walking now and see how far I get !!! LOL !!!
    I think the reason I like flying AA is that I can justify upgrading to first class since the coach fare for extra leg room seats and paying for luggage adds up, so I manage to talk myself into just a little more for 1st class. We are flying American on our way home on Thanksgiving.

If you ever get the unfortunate mishap of having to board SWA from the tarmac in Aruba, good luck. It was a free for all, pushing and all. We had a lomg delay and our plane had no gate available. It can only be described as chaos.
    Ugh. Boarding and disembarking on the tarmac in ANY airport is a train wreck but they seem to have taken it to a higher level of disorganization in Aruba. Both Air Canada and WestJet never seem to get gates anymore so it's this mad rush to get off the plane and on to the bus. The flight attendants and ground crew don't even attempt to control the chaos - especially when there are slower passengers trying to disembark with the sprinters. It just gets everybody ticked off.

I'll be interested to see what it's like coming in on KLM in September... I'm hoping the Dutch airline gets the pole position. They'll probably see my name on the manifest and say, "Put that plane as far away from the airport as you can. In fact, land it on Baby Beach and make him walk to customs."

The last 4 trips to Aruba have been with Southwest my hubby is overweight and has mobility issues
    We have used the "person of size" feature at the gate each time without incident
    We never prepurchased the extra seat. We also like the nonstop flight. Hubby would have problem
    changing flights. Sorry to hear others had problems Out experience has been excellent. I am so thankful
    ad hubby has sensory processing disorder and ptsd becoming agitated. Aruba is definitely his happy place

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan View Post
    The last 4 trips to Aruba have been with Southwest my hubby is overweight and has mobility issues
    We have used the "person of size" feature at the gate each time without incident
    We never prepurchased the extra seat. We also like the nonstop flight. Hubby would have problem
    changing flights. Sorry to hear others had problems Out experience has been excellent. I am so thankful
    ad hubby has sensory processing disorder and ptsd becoming agitated. Aruba is definitely his happy place
    That's good to know it has worked out for you and maybe we will try again in the future. I didn't buy the extra seat on our last trip to Aruba and the gate agent at BWI told me not to be concerned since the flight wasn't full, but never gave the reserved placard so I was nervous until boarding was complete. The ticket agent at Aruba wasn't able to help us on our trip home last time, so when we got to the gate we just paid the $40 each for upgraded boarding position so it all worked out even though they gave 2 couples the same handwritten boarding number at the gate. From our most recent flight, I purchased the extra seat just to help keep my anxiety in check. I think the reason we had so many issues was that on my main ticket, I used multiple credits. We don't have our refund yet, but I have contacted them and I'm not too concerned since its only been 2 weeks. I know these things can take time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123