Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Insurance

Insurance

This topic has come up before​ but I thought it deserve mentioning again. We all shop around for the lowest airfare ​but sometimes we don't consider insurance. The policy is not usually much and not only does it cover you flight interruption, lost baggage but most importantly medical care god forbid you or your love one ends up hospitalized. Also most of the insurance includes medivac up to $10K or 20K per person which means if necessary to transport you to a US hospital the insurance will cover it.

I booked some jet blue flight for a trip to Aruba in June a few months ago and I had asked for insurance which never went through. I Ignored it but just reviewed and still was able to purchase. Only $104.00 to cover for 2 passengers trip interruption, delay, lost baggage, medical and medivac.

I think its worth it especially for peace of mind.

Good advice ArubaAce. I always purchase insurance when we travel, usually from JetBlue or Expedia. A few years ago we had to cancel a trip. The process was straight forward and speedy. I just called Expedia and they cancelled the hotel. I did need to fill out a claim form for the airfare though. I received the checks within 2 weeks of filing for a full refund. Painless!

Has anyone had experience recouping funds for a cancelled timeshare rental?
    We always get insurance just in case, mainly for medical. I'm always unclear about how that would work for our private rental costs if we had to cancel.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

I never thought of travel insurance till I met somebody on a cruise (a nun sat at our table..) broke her hand in two place.. clean break
    but they made her go to the hospital in Antigua ... her cousin paid out $5500 up front out of pocket (in Jan) and is still waiting for his $$

How does travel insurance work when traveling to Aruba if you get sick? Does it cover your medical bills? Help you fly back home?

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We always get insurance just in case, mainly for medical. I'm always unclear about how that would work for our private rental costs if we had to cancel.
    In our experience (and this is Canada so for what it's worth), it depends on what you used to book the accommodations (Expedia, travel agent etc.) and/or credit card you used for booking.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    In our experience (and this is Canada so for what it's worth), it depends on what you used to book the accommodations (Expedia, travel agent etc.) and/or credit card you used for booking.
    We typically pay with a cashiers check, I'm thinking that would be a loss, but usually our reason for renting is that we found a great deal.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    in aruba or elsewhere, one pays with cash or credit card.
    then submits for reimbursement from their primary health insurance with the proper documentation.
    also too, some report that having the receipt written is dutch is acceptable to some insurance companies.

also too.........medicare does NOT reimburse. possibly the secondary/supplement will.

yes the travel insurance will pay (if it is part of the policy) medical evacuation.

i find that www.insuremytrip.com is the best tool. it lets you compare a bunch of policies and lets you choose what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by brady bear View Post
    I never thought of travel insurance till I met somebody on a cruise (a nun sat at our table..) broke her hand in two place.. clean break
    but they made her go to the hospital in Antigua ... her cousin paid out $5500 up front out of pocket (in Jan) and is still waiting for his $$

How does travel insurance work when traveling to Aruba if you get sick? Does it cover your medical bills? Help you fly back home?

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I don't know from experience, but I would hope that with copies of everything (copy of cashier's check, emails between you & the timeshare owner, etc) would would be reimbursed just like a hotel rental would be. A great question to ask when inquiring about insurance.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba Ace, my husband and I had the insurance conversation this weekend. His mother is undergoing chemo for stage 4 ovarian cancer. She will have treatment 4 next week plus a new pet scan to determine if and when to schedule surgery. Are there any travel insurance policies that cover cancellation of a trip for both the husband and wife when the MIL/FIL is ill/hospitalized?

Aruba since 1979
    i may be wrong, but i believe that most poliicies do not include preexisiting conditions.
    some policies will cover preexisiting conditions if the insurance is purchased within 24 or 48 hours of when the trip was book.

sorry to hear of your MIL illness.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelNLesa View Post
    Aruba Ace, my husband and I had the insurance conversation this weekend. His mother is undergoing chemo for stage 4 ovarian cancer. She will have treatment 4 next week plus a new pet scan to determine if and when to schedule surgery. Are there any travel insurance policies that cover cancellation of a trip for both the husband and wife when the MIL/FIL is ill/hospitalized?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast